2012 Grizzly 700 needs more power

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Airdam sells upgraded wet clutch shoes for cat. Does he have them for Yamaha?

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a heck of a lot of mud in high gear and my wet clutch is like brand new after about 3600km. I just make sure if the wheels stop spinning in the mud, I switch into low before tryig to get going again. ...then again, I still have pretty close to stock HP.
Yea also running 29.5" Outlaws on mine, with the WCD i can do over 75 kmph (On the outlaws so probably over 80) in low so not much need for high unless running long roads.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine has a grizzly, and it makes power, but the chassis doesn't like it. It will try to throw you off right steady. First up to make power the cam has to be changed. He has a stage one raptor hotcam, now the rev limiter kicks in before your on the power so you need a way of raising your limiter 8000-8500rpm. Next up the airbox won't flow enough. He cut a large hole in his, like big enough to stick both hands through, then cut some holes in the metal screen that holds the filter up. If you don't tackle the airbox don't even start trying to make power. its seriously corked up. He added a slip on and a basic fuel tuner, but a full system would be better. His Griz really went well though. Easily in 800 outty land for power with the slip on. Since he has added a 12:1 piston and premium fuel. Lots of snap in it. The starter however will barely turn it over now. I'd try 11.5:1 if it were me.

wow... is all I can say... sounds expensive... you are so correct if i push mine hard it tries to throw me all the time...
wish I could do more of this work myself

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done most everything to my Grizz. If your looking for a wheel king - buy a Outlander or a Rene. 1 Cylinder is just not enough.
But since you've got a grizz already - my suggestion is to get the Air Damn clutch mod. I think that's the biggest bang for your buck.
Either way - the grizzly has been pretty reliable for me.

Just my opinion - drive that Grizz in Low unless you hit a road or a really fast trail.
I forget exactly, but I thought I'm good up to about 40km in low before I need to run in High gear. (I've changed my clutching so much that I forget the actual speed though)

High gear on a grizzly and any mud holes just don't mix.

good luck

thanks... just fyi... you have the best pic beside your name on the net... she should be on the chive!

Top Bottom