2012 f150 owners i need help

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on a 2012 f150 crew cab 6.5 box 5.0 engine 4x4 white in colour. Bace model with xlt conveince package. Got a great year end price I couldn't turn down!

Question:

I think I need a little extra ground clearence. Looking at Bilestein shocks for a leveling kit and the add a leaf to the rear. Similar to a 2.5 inch leveling kit with extra rear leaf

The rims I have are the 17 inch. What tire size and combo be a good choice? I am thinking of going to good year silent armour tires. When guys say go 35 inch i don't get it... my tires on my current truck are a 285/75 r 16

also i have the black plastic running boards... how's everyone's wheel wells and rocker pannels holding up on gravel? thinking of line x on rocker panels and tire wells as this is where my old dodge go ruined! Another option is 3m... not looking for what's better but I know a lot of guys don't worry about these areas just wondering how your trucks are holding up in real world application with just mud flaps. Thanks

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id run a tire roughly a 33 (285 70R17) run mud flaps on the front to stop the rocker panels from getting beat up, and id run a duratrac much better tire than silent armours.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id run a tire roughly a 33 (285 70R17) run mud flaps on the front to stop the rocker panels from getting beat up, and id run a duratrac much better tire than silent armours.

What this guy said !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Actually going to a 285 75 17 OR 295 70 17 would be more of a 33", after mounting tires aren't as tall. My 295's at about 70% tread are only 32.5" tall measured from ground to top of tire.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm running a 325/55-20 on rockstsars with a 2" block in the front and air bags sits not bad fit good. Only running mudflaps rockers seem to be holding up good 170 000 km on it and very few rock chips. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356305736.070300.jpg

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 33x12.50r20's on mine with no leveling kit, fills the wheels good. Only downside is that it's now the worst vehicle I had for fuel economy.

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duratrac is a way better griping tire than a silent armour, awesome in snow. I have had great luck with a few sets now.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on a 2012 f150 crew cab 6.5 box 5.0 engine 4x4 white in colour. Bace model with xlt conveince package. Got a great year end price I couldn't turn down!

Question:

I think I need a little extra ground clearence. Looking at Bilestein shocks for a leveling kit and the add a leaf to the rear. Similar to a 2.5 inch leveling kit with extra rear leaf

The rims I have are the 17 inch. What tire size and combo be a good choice? I am thinking of going to good year silent armour tires. When guys say go 35 inch i don't get it... my tires on my current truck are a 285/75 r 16

also i have the black plastic running boards... how's everyone's wheel wells and rocker pannels holding up on gravel? thinking of line x on rocker panels and tire wells as this is where my old dodge go ruined! Another option is 3m... not looking for what's better but I know a lot of guys don't worry about these areas just wondering how your trucks are holding up in real world application with just mud flaps. Thanks

I would have bought a Chevy to start. Fords Suck!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 33x12.50r20's on mine with no leveling kit, fills the wheels good. Only downside is that it's now the worst vehicle I had for fuel economy.

without starting a fuel milage post most... how bad? PM me if you don't think we need to start a fuel mileage post... ive been on f150forums just too much american info on there to make sence to me! I don't know about you guys but inch tires and mpg mean nothing to me...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm getting about 17lp100 km right now with warming up crap etc
If I zero it on the highway at 110 kph I get around 13-14 lp100km.
But it is an 09 with the 5.4. I know the wife's 5.0 stock was getting 9 lp100 km before she sold it and that was a 2011. Best I ever got stock was 11lp 100 And that was driving 100 kph and responsibly

Who drives like that?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol...lets not get this started... i did my research and I am happy with my choice! Only time will tell. This is my first Ford ever PM in a few years I will let you know. Big decision for me was the cab.

Same reason I bought a ford. Been three years now and have no complaints. Chevy needs to change something their interior has been the same for 6 yrs now. Why buy a new truck so it looks just like your old one when your driving it

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm getting about 17lp100 km right now with warming up crap etc
If I zero it on the highway at 110 kph I get around 13-14 lp100km.
But it is an 09 with the 5.4. I know the wife's 5.0 stock was getting 9 lp100 km before she sold it and that was a 2011. Best I ever got stock was 11lp 100 And that was driving 100 kph and responsibly

Who drives like that?

Thanks for everyone who's helped out...

sweet... all good info... OEM is still the best way for the fuel mileage IMOP... but i have a need for even 1 inch more ground clearance. No sure what size tire I need to get me there... willing to balance km/litre for some ground clearance

How is the f150 as a 4x4. I have the ELRD... which I have heard good and bad about it. This is what happens when you read too many reviews... lol.

I may get a nice set of Fx4 tires and mount duratrac on them... I think it will look good and stay OEM for winter tires. I take my truck hunting and fishing about 4 times per year to my grand parents cabin... about 9 km of greesy, rutted out mud wholes and steep hills... my 2002 cummins with extra cab and 6.5 box with 285/75/r 16 with leveling kit and rear block crawled though there like nothing. My dads duramax (stock cause he's cheap) wont! I think he just likes to abuse my trucks and keep his "retirement truck" a pavement princess.

Guys that wasn't a slam on your Dmax... I love it and if I could've afforded one i'd own it... just making a point on the kind of ground clearance i need.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will easy be able to get 1" without blocks I went to a305/60-18 carpel fc2 with no suspension changes and they fit good on the sticker rims.
Then got a smokin deal on the ones I have now with a levelling block cost less for complete package than just tires would have costed. Keep your stickers for the winter and keep an eye on kijiji for a set might get good bang for your buck in the end. May not be the exact tires you want but if they are cheap and include some nice wheels who cares lol.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol...lets not get this started... i did my research and I am happy with my choice! Only time will tell. This is my first Ford ever PM in a few years I will let you know. Big decision for me was the cab.

Alright, Im sorry. All of the new units are plastic and junk. Ill even say that about my chevys. But I wont buy a rice rocket so Im stuck with the new junk.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will easy be able to get 1" without blocks I went to a305/60-18 carpel fc2 with no suspension changes and they fit good on the sticker rims.
Then got a smokin deal on the ones I have now with a levelling block cost less for complete package than just tires would have costed. Keep your stickers for the winter and keep an eye on kijiji for a set might get good bang for your buck in the end. May not be the exact tires you want but if they are cheap and include some nice wheels who cares lol.

Good idea... the dealer gave me 1000 coupon for their parts department for a mistake they made earlier... Great guys to deal with. I am thinking of a second set of ford rims for bigger tires and trading in my stock tires for a good set of snow tires stock size... I only need the ground clearence from May to November. I did some looking and I really like the look of the duratrac

Stupid question what would a comparable size of tire be on 17 inch rim to compare to your a305/60-18. Do you have any pics? does it stick out a lot?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are aware that aftermarket suspension doesn't increase group clearance, right? Just jacks up the body, axles are in the same place and still the low spots.

Question:

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Silent armors are great tires. Duratracs may dig in snow but are poor at best on ice. Silent armour a hold their own in most conditions.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only true with solid axle. The IFS with any leveling kit gives you more clearance in the front only. Back only with larger tires.

You are aware that aftermarket suspension doesn't increase group clearance, right? Just jacks up the body, axles are in the same place and still the low spots.

Top Bottom