2011 etec pistons, any photos?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your dealer wants to give you new pistons... that sounds like a great deal! I would get him to put it in writing.... Becuase its going to be coming straight out of his wallet!

probably some hotshot sales guy!!!!! bahashahaha fawk n one of our guys told a customer its law in alberta to have an autostarter,,, some peoples children ugggg good help is hard to find

please post results as i am pick n up my 2012 this week and I have not heard anything

sfp

Reaction score
I was wondering how pistons were going to last with so little oil and fuel ? Maybe now we know.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how pistons were going to last with so little oil and fuel ? Maybe now we know.

The oil usage hasn't really gone down. Maybe for trail riders.

Having the fuel direct injected is a more efficient system, rather than having it forced into the block.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah brp really isnt being secretive they admit there may be an issue and have said if you have a 2011 etec with 2000 km's or more bring it in for a free top end! I just had mine done at mr. r's and I was super excited about a free top end at 2500 km's on mine good on brp for fixing the problem at there cost and not out of pocket like my diamond drive :nono:.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So everyone is aware of campaign for 2012's having rave issues on the Summit X's?

Because I haven't seen one person with a 2012 comment on it yet. Not that its a big deal. But there is already a possible issue with a 2012 that some people don't even have yet. Small issue none the less. I have been aware of it, but just waiting to see what comes of it.

As an owner, why don't we get direct access to this? If its not secretive, what do you call it?

Anyways, this is a thread about pistons. Sorry Chris.

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You see what I am saying about you being a women? Or using the word secretive?

yeah "secretive" wasn't a good choice. I'll agree on that. But I pay over $13,000 for a sled that I am lucky to ride 6 months of the year. I don't want to have down time on something that could have been brought to my attention ahead of time.

I do believe in part some of it is dealer responsible items. But if the dealer isn't even aware, who is at fault. You don't know what you don't know... and we try to make ourselves educated on these things by use of a forum none the less. We get fancy premium member cards by snowchecking and being the ones who buy new sleds every few years, some people more than that. Safety Recalls aside, if there is a bulletin out on a sled for the model I own, it should be posted somewhere that any owner can see.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we had 1 e-tec failure at our shop last season, the little "pin" that stops the piston ring from spinning around came out....I'm not a tech so I dont know all the details but I do know that the sled was overheaded over 80 times when we plugged it into Budds, and the had even cooked off the black coating on the heat exchanger. Also the sled had 3100 miles on it and was a rental.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we had 1 e-tec failure at our shop last season, the little "pin" that stops the piston ring from spinning around came out....I'm not a tech so I dont know all the details but I do know that the sled was overheaded over 80 times when we plugged it into Budds, and the had even cooked off the black coating on the heat exchanger. Also the sled had 3100 miles on it and was a rental.
just curious.....is that overheated indication mean the red warning light came on or the sled shut down due to overheating? when my snowflap ripped off on my '08 it kept overheating on the trail into kakwa one spring, the light came on several times and it would go into a limp mode....you can hear the raves open wide and change the exhaust note right before it would flash the warning. I would immediately stop and put snow on top of the rear heat exchanger and run it a few seconds to circulate the coolant and repeat until the light went off. we ran into a few other guys on the trail that were riding rentals from 'doo and they were telling me they kept on going until the sled would shut itself down....they would keep going even in limp mode until the sled flashed a yellow warning light and shut off.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious.....is that overheated indication mean the red warning light came on or the sled shut down due to overheating? when my snowflap ripped off on my '08 it kept overheating on the trail into kakwa one spring, the light came on several times and it would go into a limp mode....you can hear the raves open wide and change the exhaust note right before it would flash the warning. I would immediately stop and put snow on top of the rear heat exchanger and run it a few seconds to circulate the coolant and repeat until the light went off. we ran into a few other guys on the trail that were riding rentals from 'doo and they were telling me they kept on going until the sled would shut itself down....they would keep going even in limp mode until the sled flashed a yellow warning light and shut off.

as the owner who was riding the sled did not pay for it and had it given to him for the season as a "demo", I'd suspect that he ran-it-till-she-blew.....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as the owner who was riding the sled did not pay for it and had it given to him for the season as a "demo", I'd suspect that he ran-it-till-she-blew.....
I'm kinda wondering about the BUDDS system telling you the sled was overheated 80 plus times, what gets recorded into the computer as "overheated"....the warning light and limp mode, or full on overheat shutdown? these guys would just sit until it cooled off and go again until it quit. brutal....

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda wondering about the BUDDS system telling you the sled was overheated 80 plus times, what gets recorded into the computer as "overheated"....the warning light and limp mode, or full on overheat shutdown? these guys would just sit until it cooled off and go again until it quit. brutal....

Once again I'm not a tech but I get called to the back of the shop lots after a client has brought in a unit that he swears hedoes not know what happened and it just stopped running( more on atv's than sleds) and budds tells it all, overheats, over rev's, etc) I'd bet Sno Pro could tell you more about it than me, to be honest I'm a front of the store guy......

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got the call from the dealer that my top end is done, well sort of.... The reed valves need replacing due to a chip out of the corner, I specifically asked them to look at them as Daryl Baker had feathered edges on his at similar km's (2500-3000).

Soooo are guys looking at the reeds during the rebuild?? I recommend it.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw you reeds chris, good thing Randy pulled them, the middle petal on one side was cracked right up the center, and the other side was starting to crack too, both sets had chips on the corners as well.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw you reeds chris, good thing Randy pulled them, the middle petal on one side was cracked right up the center, and the other side was starting to crack too, both sets had chips on the corners as well.

Thanks Lucas, I am really starting to like your shop and you guys looking after my sled! I am surprized it was still running so good, started first pull after sitting all Summer and was strong to the last ride in the Spring.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once again I'm not a tech but I get called to the back of the shop lots after a client has brought in a unit that he swears hedoes not know what happened and it just stopped running( more on atv's than sleds) and budds tells it all, overheats, over rev's, etc) I'd bet Sno Pro could tell you more about it than me, to be honest I'm a front of the store guy......

Hey Lucas, everytime the light comes on it will throw a code on BUDS. I'm pretty sure it throws a different code if it does a shutdown as well for overheating. BUDS is great as it always tells the truth and it is the only time that the dealer gets to be right. Right? Lol.

Top Bottom