2011 etec pistons, any photos?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems to be real quiet out there about the top end rebuilds that BRP is doing for our 2011 e-tecs, Mine is in the shop right now and am I the only one that wants to see the pistons after 2500 kms? I want to see the wash, if there are any scratches, etc. I really want to quantify the mixture and oil consumption. Can I be the only one who cares about this?? Please post your piston pics and tell what type of riding you do and what type of oil you run. While your at it, let us know what type of can or other mods you are running

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
They said I get a free top end at 2000kms on my 2012 as well. I too would like to see the pistons

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
Ya you heard it right. Dealer told me to bring it in at 2000kms for a new top end. I said F what will that cost. He said it's a "preventative measure" lol.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow starting to sound like a polaris thread when your talking top end issues with fuel injection.But it sounds like BRP is being proactive. Think i will wait for the 2013 model and let them get the piston lean burn issues figured out

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting did they mention a time line for this? Does it only fall under the 3 years?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya you heard it right. Dealer told me to bring it in at 2000kms for a new top end. I said F what will that cost. He said it's a "preventative measure" lol.

Wow who is your dealer? I haven't seen any literature on that from BRP. I'd maybe ask for some proof of that so you don't get your hopes up. The new changes in the cylinder and pistons are designed to put this problem to rest.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting did they mention a time line for this? Does it only fall under the 3 years?

The warranty bulletin states that 2011 Etecs have until 2015 to get their top ends updated.

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
Wow who is your dealer? I haven't seen any literature on that from BRP. I'd maybe ask for some proof of that so you don't get your hopes up. The new changes in the cylinder and pistons are designed to put this problem to rest.

There isn't a much from brp about it. They are just telling the people that need to know rather than having to answer a million question from everyone. They have top end kits for every etec that was sold there. I bought mine from turples

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There isn't a much from brp about it. They are just telling the people that need to know rather than having to answer a million question from everyone. They have top end kits for every etec that was sold there. I bought mine from turples

Hmmmmmm..........Turples you say?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just checked BOSS WEB and there is absolutely nothing written about piston replacements for the 2012 ETEC'S. There is a new bulletin that replaces WB 2011-18 but says exsplicity the 2012's are not affected by this recall. I think Turples is misinformed.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your dealer wants to give you new pistons... that sounds like a great deal! I would get him to put it in writing.... Becuase its going to be coming straight out of his wallet!

I would have to agree with this! If your dealer says at 2000km you get a fresh pair on your 2012, go for it. But unless the VIN is somehow states its a 2011 model year build with a VIN that falls under the warranty campaign it is not part of the current bulletin. (which is valid until Oct 3, 2015)

I wish we as owners, had access to these bulletins. Sure they post the Safety recalls on the website, and the Boss site can give you some info, but why does a warranty campaign have to be so secretive?

Its doubtful that Ski-doo rep/sales people who are on this site would be willing to comment as there is possibly some sort of privacy act they must follow, but its in part why I almost jumped brands this year, but opted to go with a dealer who has a service department who I have had great success with even when I didn't make my previous purchases there.

Ah, it must be Monday!

Top Bottom