2010 summit x low rpm

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
Bought a used 2010 summit x. Can not get more than 7650 rpm ( under load or with track suspended) hits 7600 then starts a very faint miss. ( not clutching ) new gas, plugs, and cleaned rave valves, and checked compresion (147 & 148 after market heads, not sure what make. Need help! Could it be faulty rev limiter or? Thanks

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check plug caps and plug wires back to coil as they can give problems at times.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You say, "not clutching" but are you sure? Elevation, clickers, belt deflection, primary/secondary rollers, ramps, etc. Lots to check out and if you haven't taken them apart maybe a place to look.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would bet its clutching. you have basically narrowed it down to that in your post. even a slightly worn bushing will cause issues like that. pull them both, replace all the wear parts and springs, and inspect the bushing thicknesses. also ensure your belt height is at the correct level. what elevation? what clicker?

the only thing that is strange is the miss you speak of.........

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was the max rpm issue there before you cleaned the raves, or afterwards? If they are hooked up wrong they will not open in the mid/high range right where you are having rpm issues.

Your confident its not clutching, but like the other comments lead to, there can be something you missed. When you adjust the clickers do you see increases of 150-200 rpm?

I have heard of a rev limiter problem before, at higher rpm though. The miss could be just what you expect and its bouncing off it. Or it could be a tach issue not properly displaying the rpm.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would bet its clutching. you have basically narrowed it down to that in your post. even a slightly worn bushing will cause issues like that. pull them both, replace all the wear parts and springs, and inspect the bushing thicknesses. also ensure your belt height is at the correct level. what elevation? what clicker?

the only thing that is strange is the miss you speak of.........

The miss sounds like the miss you get when your clutch sticks... not a full ignition miss but its there and cant put your fingr on it miss.... you know the ones we hate cause they happen 45min from the truck miss

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
Thanks, the problem was there before I cleaned rave valves. plug wires look good. belt is very good condition which tells me deflection is good and I had adjusted the height. The clutches seem to work well, but i will have to get them checked out as I do not have a puller. Changing the clickers does nothing at all. the weird thing is it happens at the exact RPM (7650) every time. I have tried it under load, with the track suspended ( throtling up very slowly ) and track suapended with brake applied lightly. This happens every time and will never go past 7650 which makes me think electrcal. I will get clutches next. The sled is a beast from start till miss starts. Please keep ideas coming and I will keep you posted.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it still could be a faulty item in the vaccum system for the rave valves. electrical is deffinetly a possiblity. i had similar issues like this when my dpm system was acting up. perhaps check the dpm solenoid on the top of the carbuerators. plug it into a 9v battery and ensure its clicking. maybe even pull it out and lubricate it with some WD.

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
1250 KM on sled and as for the clickers it seems to start the problem before clickers come into play. Has a clutch kit, not sure what make.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are only trying this with the track suspended, regardless if you are applying the brake, you will get varied results.

Also, take note of how high the belt is shifting up in the primary when testing. Take a black marker and draw a line down the primary. Start engine and rev up to max. The belt will remove the black mark to its highest point. If it is not shifting properly it will not rise high in the clutch.

Is there a model number on the belt? Just grasping at straws now.

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
I did watch the belt upshift and it looks smooth and shifts to the top. I would htink clutching would be slightly erratic where this happens at the EXACT RPM every time which seems like a sensor or electrical.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the billows on the rave valves also to make sure one isn't ripped. Had one do this and was doing the same thing as yours.

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does not sound like clutching.

I bet it is either you rave bellows or rave solenoid.

Any chance the plug wires have been reversed?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the hose that goes from the airbox to the top of the DPM, my sled was running like sh!t on the top end and that hose was not hooked up. I forgot to hook it up after I put my head on my sled.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go ahead and reverse your plug wires...it doesn't matter

I would deffinetly pull the caps off the rave's and check that they are functioning.

engine off they sit mid way
start engine, they close
engage throttle and they will slowly open to just over mid 7000 rpm
open throttle all the way, raves will full open

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
Checked billows when I did rave valves. Looked in very good shape. No sighn of cracks or any oil seepage. Next step is to remove rave caps and watch operation. Would rave valves cause a miss or power loss. It is definately a miss. Can a person take primary clutch apart without pulling clutch off. I do not have a puller and can not get it in till end of month. Also does anyone know where knock sensor band rev limiter plug in? thanks

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the clutchbolt/water method for pulling the primary off.

Raves would deffinetly cause a power loss. read the top portion of this link http://www.mxzx-revzone.com/article/-163.asp

Just another off the top of my head grasp at straws, pull the lower air box off so you can see the carb slides, squeeze the throttle and ensure the slides go all the way up.

Last edited:

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
I had checked carb slides and they fully open. Can you please expain washer water method of taking clutch off off. THANKS

Top Bottom