2008 Ski Doo Summit Low Compression

Sekeith

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys! I'll make sure to take my cylinder with me to MOTS on monday when I pick up the piston kit.

Sekeith

Reaction score
Lost some of the plating on one side of my cylinder, going to replace with a reconditioned one. I was hoping this would be a reasonable fix but I'm going to have to dip into my sled deck savings :(

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figured so, it does wear out and needs renicasealed
it won't be "worn out" at a thousand miles. piston scrubbed thru the plating when it stuck. exact same happened to mine but at 2400 miles

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it won't be "worn out" at a thousand miles. piston scrubbed thru the plating when it stuck. exact same happened to mine but at 2400 miles
Been a while since I read the first post, thought it had 5000 miles lol

Yes with 1000, either been over heated many times or mechanical issues took nice off walls

Sekeith

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've looked at the dash/gauge cluster. Is there a temperature gauge or how do I know if it's over heating? I have been meaning to get ice scratchers but I've never seen anything on the dsh telling me the sled is getting too hot.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Temp gauge is there but u meed the module to see it ( plug and play behind cluster

Sekeith

Reaction score
I'm just about ready to quit on this project, seems like I can't catch a break. Got a new cylinder (reconditioned), and new pistons and rings along with a full gasket kit and the engine is 90% put back together. I'm getting 165 psi on both sides BUT I've got coolant flowing out my exhaust ports (haven't bolted up the exhaust yet. I tore it all back apart to check the head gaskets and the cylinder gaskets and all of them look good with no tears. Put it back together and re-torqued and still leaking.........arrg. Maybe I'm not torquing it right? I'm following the torque values and sequence from this thread https://www.snowandmud.com/ski-doo-xp-sleds/75627-2008-torque-spec-sequence.html.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Thermite? haha

I really want to just button up this project and move on.

Sekeith

Reaction score
And yes I made sure I'm doing FT. lbs not IN lbs. I've made that mistake before lol

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cylinder head should just be o-rings. When you pulled it back apart wax the crankcase full of AF? Both sides?

You should scrutinize the sealing surfaces real close. If something got dropped it can make a high spot or a defect.

Sekeith

Reaction score
Ya the crankcase has coolant in it, yes both sides but there wasn't a ton as I've only been pulling it a few times by hand and not starting the engine. The cylinders are new so I cleaned them up to make sure there wasn't any sort of machining oil or anything left on it with warm water and soap but nothing more than that on the one side. The crank side was spotless in terms of any old gasket material but if there weren't any major marks or dents. They'd have to be pretty small. I'm going to leave it as is until the weekend and pull it apart again if the seals don't magically swell and seal up themselves.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recondition cylinders can have cracks inside the water jackets.
Look down inside the water passages and you will probably see cracks.
Had this happen to me on a big bore and needed to be sent back. Grrrr
Was looked after but time consuming and more work.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bet it's getting sucked up from crank throws in bottom end

Should Allways suck it out right away, as coolant eats bearings

Sekeith

Reaction score
Thing is I didn't have any leaks before the new cylinder was put in. Only problem was the low compression making the reverse not work properly. I'm hoping it's not the cylinder but I'll take it apart and take a look at it.

Sekeith

Reaction score
Opened her back up and the crankcase was full of coolant. That's not to say that the coolant didn't fill the crankcase when I pulled the cylinder off as coolant went everywhere. I'm suspecting the base gasket isn't sealing properly. Anyone use any sort of rtv or gasket glue to keep it in place? Seems like it's bunching or not sitting flush right beside the cylinder. I'll post a pic when I can.

Sekeith

Reaction score
Finally put back together and seems to be working properly. Haven't fired it up yet but I'm thinking the coolant in the crankcase was getting tossed out the exhaust. Now here's hoping the crankcase being full of coolant for 3 days didn't bugger anything up too badly.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally put back together and seems to be working properly. Haven't fired it up yet but I'm thinking the coolant in the crankcase was getting tossed out the exhaust. Now here's hoping the crankcase being full of coolant for 3 days didn't bugger anything up too badly.

It won't hurt anything just sitting there. If it was pure water then will cause rust, but antifreeze won't rust anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidinloghouse

Reaction score
i'd keep a very keen eye on you coolant level for the first couple rides or more. that rave line looked to be melted. and if the motor was overheated you may have cooked the seals on the water pump shaft.

Top Bottom