2010 M8 Belt Slippage

twostrokesrule

Reaction score
Hey guys, hopefully someone has had a similar experience and can offer some advice.

I've got a 2010 M8 153, with reeds, high flow air intake, Y pipe. Also running a Terra Alps progressive helix. It runs great but i'm getting belt slippage. It only seems to happen when you accellerate from stopped in the deep snow (riding sea to sky corridore, deep and heavy). You can take off with full throttle for a few feet, then the RPM seems to spike up very quickly, then settle down to the 7-8000 rpm range where you can then keep going. While the rpm is up and you are running after a few minutes of riding, it rarely slips. Occasionally when you are on a deep and steep hill, but other than that it's good.

I've checked and adjusted belt deflection, and right now the belt is about 1/8" above secondary sheaves. So i'm assuming that's all good. I've tried a different belt with no change in slippage. I'm running timbersled vents and clutch temps seem very cool -both primary and secondary.

I've got a black primary spring with light blue stripe in it right now. I have no idea what it is or what the specs are on it, but i'm installing a D&D white 135-330 tonight to see how that one works tomorrow in the 3' that's just fallen! I hope that helps!!

Anyone have any other suggestions?

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slippage is caused by moisture/snow getting on the belt, or clutch faces. check your clutch side vent for gaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twostrokesrule

Reaction score
I was a little worried about that as i had noticed some snow in below the clutches after stopping to check slippage. The timbersled vents do allow some moisture to get in there, but it may be that they keep the clutches much cooler - possibly cooler clutches don't melt out the snow in there fast enough???? I do have frogskin over the vents closer to the nose of the hood - but you can't really cover the big vents on the hood directly over the pipe... .

I guess i could try some frogskins over the timbersled vents.... but i'm out riding tomorrow. Maybe i'll just try some duct tape over the timbersled mesh vents and see it that helps..... Kinda defeats the purpose of venting however....

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The vents should only allow heat to escape, not let snow it. Put some silicone or something along the outside of the vents to seal it off and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was a little worried about that as i had noticed some snow in below the clutches after stopping to check slippage. The timbersled vents do allow some moisture to get in there, but it may be that they keep the clutches much cooler - possibly cooler clutches don't melt out the snow in there fast enough???? I do have frogskin over the vents closer to the nose of the hood - but you can't really cover the big vents on the hood directly over the pipe... .

I guess i could try some frogskins over the timbersled vents.... but i'm out riding tomorrow. Maybe i'll just try some duct tape over the timbersled mesh vents and see it that helps..... Kinda defeats the purpose of venting however....
U can put frogskinz vents over the gaps that r above the pipe, got em on mine. Id give that a shot

1Mrider

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I made my own vents and had a slight gap at the bottom. Went riding and thought I'd show my friends how to climb a hill but as soon as I was up to speed my sled pegged out and threw me over the handle bars. Luckily I wasn't into the steep stuff yet and this was in the serious powder mind you, but I didn't realize having the vents sealed up was so critical. Silicon is a good idea.

twostrokesrule

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the info. I shimmed up the secondary a bit, cleaned up the sheaves with brake cleaner and wiped them down really good, installed my new D&D white primary spring, then made sure everything was sealed up good. i had a wicked day in the powder over the weekend and i'm happy to report that belt slippage is a thing of the past!! Also the 330 finish of my new spring brought my rpm up to where it should be. Wicked!

Too bad i smoked a tree at the end of the day and had to call a heli to get the sled off the mountain... wah. I think i bent the bulkhead.....

Top Bottom