2010 m1000 will not start

Todd Lawton

Reaction score
I have a 2010 M1000 that is having a problem starting when it is cold. it has about 1000 miles on it and is stock except for a trail can. It ran awesome right up until about 900 miles then gradually became harder and harder to start. I thought that it was freezing, as it would only do it after hauling it on the deck after a day of riding. The dealer assured me that it was bad fuel and to warm it up over night in the shop. I was then careful to fill up every night after riding and to add fuel conditioner and de-icer to the fuel. This did not help, the next trip out it started good the first day, second morning about 30 pulls, it was warm out, a few degrees above zero. Third day would not start 3 guys pulled their guts out on the damn thing, ended up pouring a bit of fuel down the spark plug hole and it fired right up. Rode most of the day just fine, shut it off for half an hour and same thing would not start, and it was pretty warm out. Got home and took it to the dealer, couple of weeks later I hadn't heard anything so I called to see what was up, he told me that it started up for him the next day in the shop, and that it was just bad fuel. I did not agree with him as I was very careful with the fuel, and nobody else was having any problems with the fuel, he then told me that it might be a check valve in the oil line leaking into the air box at idle. Does anyone have any ideas on what may be wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated.

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine will do this if i run the tank empty, ie air in the fuel line, and seems to be worse if the machine is hot. Because no battery, the only thing pressurizing the injectors is power from the pull start. This is really only enough juice to prime the injector, not pressurize or run fuel from the tank the rail.

I would say you have a small air leak in your lines, or a plugged fuel filter(?). not sure if they have one in line, or in the tank, or one at all. Air lock somehow.

PS, temp way to get fuel to the rail. Pressurize the tank by blowing into the fuel tank, by cupping your hands around the cap and your mouth. Also serves as a quick buzz

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would check the fuel pump itself. Also check the intank filters/check valves. The other thing to do would be to test the stater it has a low speed coil side and a high speed coil side..

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure fuel pump as glen says. My brother had the same problem on an 06 M7. Take the wires off the pump and hook a 12 volt power source up to it like a quad battery and you will know right away if the pump is pooched or not. you might have gummy crap in there as well and hooking up a 12v source will spin the pump and free it up. Thanks again Glengine for helping me with this situation over the phone a while back.

Tsalmo

Reaction score
If fuel pumps not it could be the stator, I had this happen to one of my sleds the ground on the the stator was loose/broken and it slowly got harder and hard to start ran fine when you got it to start but sometimes itd take 10-20 pulls to start.

Top Bottom