2009 m1000 warm start issue

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bough myself an 09 m1000 it was completely stock so I went out and bought and mbrp exhaust can for it. The first time I took it out for a rip it ran like crap almost seemed like power valves didn't want to open or something cause it had a bog if I'd open the throttle wide open. So I was told to put higher octane fuel in it as I was only running regular 86 octane pump gas. So I went out and bought 94 octane and threw some injector cleaner in it and that seemed to cure issue but now I'm on my second tank of this gas and for some reason now when my sled is warm and I stop just to talk with my buddies and turn it off for a bit when I go to start it, it takes roughly 8-10 pulls to start could this be due to to high of octane or am I way off?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's usually a sign of low compression. Do a compression test both cold and warm and go from there.

And you shouldn't need 94 octane. They call for 87 stock, not sure with a MBRP can, but 91 with a full SLP exhaust.

Last edited:

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Checked the plugs they are ok but could be changed. My sled only has like 700 miles could it really have a compression problem already? If so what causes that just bad rings? I am somewhat mechanically inclined so I'm not totally retarded any help would be greatly appreciated

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No its bone stock other than that can.

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cracking the throttle helps but realistically I shouldn't have to do that for it to start.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well......the only thing you changed is the can, so put the stock one back on and try it with 87 octane. And you're right, you shouldn't have to crack the throttle unless your idle speed is set too low. On my M1000 I couldn't have cracked the throttle cuz it was all I could do with both hands to pull it over cold!

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put some 89 octane in it still with the can on and now it starts fine but has a nasty bog right before the power valves open roughly 6500 rpm I can't win this fight lol....

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
does it bog at low throttle to? just as you get going?

like said put the stock exhaust on and try that,,seems weird but it will eliminate the can

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I figured out what the issue is. I had all but 2 loose nuts left holding the y pipe on the engine so there was basically zero back pressure.

Top Bottom