2009 M1000 piston install question

Blownsilver

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but Im having a helluva time with this. Do the ring ends need to be a certain way to get the jug over them I have the rings bevel up and dots facing forward just like the orignals but for the life of me I cant get the jug to slip over the rings. I had the one jug on once but the only way it would go was if it was clocked 90* to its position on the block. (exhaust port pointing to the clutch) both are stock jugs and new stock pistons. Any ideas would sure help thanks

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but Im having a helluva time with this. Do the ring ends need to be a certain way to get the jug over them I have the rings bevel up and dots facing forward just like the orignals but for the life of me I cant get the jug to slip over the rings. I had the one jug on once but the only way it would go was if it was clocked 90* to its position on the block. (exhaust port pointing to the clutch) both are stock jugs and new stock pistons. Any ideas would sure help thanks

There is a pin in the piston that keeps the rings from turning around the piston (called the ring locating pin). You need to make sure that the the gap in the ring is meeting at the location of the pin, otherwise the rings will not fully compress and the cylinders will not slide on. The locating pin keeps the rings at a certain orientation so that the rings do not turn and catch the end of the ring on one of the many cylinder ports. When oriented properly to the locating pin, the rings should almost fully compress even with the sides of the piston. If you are doing this then move on to the next step.

Take the ring off the piston, compress it completely until the ends touch, then slide it into the cylinder. Push the ring about 1/3 of the way down the cylinder, making sure its level in the cylinder (you can use the piston to push it into the cylinder - just flip the piston upside down and use the dome to push it in) be careful not to scratch the cylinder - then measure the gap between the ring ends (you will need some feeler gauges). This will give you the ring end gap measurement. It needs to be within spec but have a little play. If the ring gap is completely closed when installed in the cylinder or if the ends are touching and you can't even get it into the cylinder, the ring either has to be filed or you have the incorrect rings. Filing rings is not hard, but I would say just get the proper ones from Cat, it will make life a lot easier.

Usually the markings on the rings face up, and usually there is a marker on the piston that indicates the exhaust port side (either arrow or writing). Make sure these are lined up. The cylinders are typicalled canted inwards from the bottom up, so the base is wider and the rings should slide right in, and will be tighter at the top.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil lots of it inside the cylinder on the piston/rings tight hole needs lube :d

Top Bottom