M1000 is King of the Hill, I did own Poos

RTTTTed

Reaction score
My daughter rides an M7 with lifted handlebars. Boss lifted seat, Y and exhaust can. Few suspension mods and she's happy. She doesn't do much racing or Hill climbing, but all that she does is good.

I had a Thundercat which I bored, ported etc to 220hp! Bought a ZRT 600 match ported the barrels and case, made aluminium exhuast muffs and used it to race 700-800s and set highmarks.

Then I bought son-in-laws RMK modified 700. Ran twice and then wouldn't run for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Tcat and Poo burned in a Motel fire. I hated the Poo and even with $1350 worth of Fox racing shocks it rode like crap. Hurt my shoulders.

Bought a 2001 M1000 with stinger to replace the Tcat. Lot slower at only 180hp and slower yet with a 155" 2" track, but I lived with it.

Then I bought a 97 Extreme 600 as a spare to my ZRT600 (since it's got about 5500 miles on it). Xtreme came with an extra (bored) 700 triple and an extra chassis seat hood etc. All good!

I bought an '08 M1000 from Gordo's rental/Cat Dealership (where I buy most of my sleds and parts). It was disappointing for the World's fastest normally aspirated production sled. It was lighter than my triple 1000 and slower (contrary to advertisments) so I bought the Y pipe. Government required restrictive exhaust manifold is an emissions piece. I hated the massive muffler with the Toxic metal Catilytic Convertor so I bought a canister and added that. Perfect! Huge response and massive power improvement. With the 80# weight saving over my Triple M1000 they felt equal in power.

So I raced a renegade 800 with my daughter's M7. His sled was also piped and he beat the 700 slightly. I raced the M7 against my Extreme 600 and lost. Figure that the M1000 has about 20 more hp than the Skid 800. No comparison.

My buddy bought an 08 M1000 and added a stinger and Y pipe. They run about the same. We went Hill climbing with all the "other" brands except no one runs a Yamaha. WE kicked asp! The skid nearly got as much air as our buddies M7 (piped). Nowhere close to a M1000.

http://img148.imageshack.us/i/jumpingandflyingsm.jpg/

The M1000 goes only slightly better Than an M800 because it takes a lot of extra power to run that huge 162" track. But, in soft deep powder the M1000 IS ONLY EQUALLED by turbo sleds. After replacing the exhaust pieces the M1000 is unbelievable. To go faster a Turbo M1000 eats all the little sleds without any effort.

When I wear this M1000 out, I'll buy another. The new ones are quite a bit better than my older model. My bud and I paid under $8,000 for these sleds NEW.

Neighbor blew the motor in his 2009 RMK 600. Bought a 2011 Dragon 800 (since the 900s blew up so much they no longer make anything bigger than an 800). He rode it for 120 miles and the track tore, Hyfax welded itself to the track clips. Dealership in Williams Lake refused to warranty and that was another $1200+ He paid over $12000 +tax for an 800 after his 600 blew up before it got to 2 years old???

Other neighbor had 2009 800. When the (second) $3,500 engine blew up after only 30 miles and the warranty ran out over the summer he "DOWNGRADED" to a RMK 600. We expect that he'll live longer with this little sled and he hasn't blown the engine during the last entire year.

Why would anyone buy a Polaris? They built 900s and I don't know anyone that didn't blow up. Although everyone used to buy Polaris and I was the only Cat guy, now there are a couple Cat guys (most people want to got slow and don't want to ride extreme so they ride Skids). There are a couple kids that do ride extreme and they do ride skid 800s. They can beat stock M1000s they tell me :d:d Havn't seen them in my mountains yet.:d

Guess I should mention that MY M1000 for some reason only uses about 80% of the amount of gas used by daughter's M7, buddies M1000, Extreme 600, buddies M7, neighbor's Dragon 800, etc. Pretty strange that I get such fantastic mileage and I don't know why that is, but I do like it. :)

Ted

RTTTTed

Reaction score
I also own a 93 Polaris Indy Sport 440. POS ate a driveshaft bearing last winter and dropped the driveshaft. Broke the bearing clip in the gear case and is broken. Because the way Poo built the sled it was close to the ground and got stuck as soon as it left the old tracks it had to follow. I dropped the skidframe and I installed an XLT track (1.5") and although it would go nearly everywhere (just really slowly) I can only convince beginners to ride on it. The ride is so terrible and often they get bucked off on little bumps. Suspension travel on those antiques was 4"? Bought a new seat cover and then the wind blew over a wooden door and that smashed the "Antique ABS hood" Polaris normally waits until someone else invents everything. (Rider forward position, double A arm suspension, etc.

I have test ridden the Dragon. Power is OK for a smaller engine and the Dragon is good for carving in powder. However the Dragon can nearly be driven by just leaning to one side or the other. Sucks on trails as it has little stability. The Renegade and other model 800 Skid I rode were difficult to get to lean over for carving. They're probably good on the trails with their wide ski stance and 16" wide track, but really a chore to do any carving. I would recommend the Dragon 800 with a Turbo for carving, except the sled is unreliable and it doesn't snow 2' every day. The Skid I recommend for trail riding although it's no fun for carving and that sort of ruins the sled's fun. The Arctic Cat's M series is a great sled as it does carve and does ride trails. The M1000 is the fastest sled except for the Z1 1100 Turbo. Nothing else compares. :nono: I find the 163" track takes away some of the fun because I have only been stuck on this sled twice. Both times I went into a dip that I needed help to dig out my sled from.

Daughters, wives and "mellow" riders can be happy with a piped M8 153"

Ted

Ted

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
sorry to break the news to you but a bore,port job aint gonna get you to 220ponies

and polaris hasnt created a good sled since the wedge (last popo i owned) :(

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you get home from a Friday night kegger and write all this at 1:30 in the morning?
Posting on snow and mud after a night of heavy drinking is better than writing a long winded e-mail to an ex though I guess.... Hows the hangover this morning?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow i couldnt understand anything you were saying. You're saying that you're heavy sled with 160 horse is better than all other brands? alright. :)

H2O

Reaction score
Great Poo bashing..... I use to own a 06 900 RMK 166" track ...... It was actually a good sled.
I don't want to burst your bubble.... but That 900 POO made a lot of M1000s look silly.

RTTTTed

Reaction score
So I guess none of you are argueing that the M1000 is the fastest after changing out the Government Y pipe and Catilytic Convertor? Good.

It is difficult to beleive that some people think that a 1000 cc engine is heavier that a 700cc engine (the 1000 has bigger holes for the bigger pistons).

Last guy that told me that my T cat was a heavy pig was sitting on a Polaris Storm that weighed 10# heavier because I threw away the steel skis and he didn't.

Smaller engine doesn't necessarily mean lighter. One of the heaviest sleds I ever got unstuck was a Yamaha Phazer.

I don't drink because it would make me a bad rider/driver.

An M1000 is a M8 with a bigger muffler (tossed mine) and a longer track (for better climbing). So, removing the muffler makes the 1000 lighter than the 600???

If you think that the M1000 (truth in advertising claims it's the fastest) isn't faster stock you're not very intelligent or excusing your own little man syndrome. 164bhp is MORE. Add another 14bhp for the Y and the can makes it 178 bhp :rant: simpler to understand now?

RTTTTed

Reaction score
Poo bashing? I suppose. Just reporting the facts. Your experience may be different. The real bashing is another thread and I didn't post there.

As far as a 14 year old sled being a POS, my T cat was good enough to add a torque sensing link and long travel shock so that it was able to keep up to new. Polaris obviously wasn't worth it.

I also have a 96 ZRT 600 and a 97 Extreme 600 that are still excellent and because people don't whine about riding them they have a lot more miles than the old Polaris, which is rotting away and needs new thingy for over the fuel tank. Stupid design. Instead of making a nice looking tank they covered it with padded Vinyl??? That's dumb. A fancooled tiny engine like a 440 doesn't make enough power to ever wear it out.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I guess none of you are argueing that the M1000 is the fastest after changing out the Government Y pipe and Catilytic Convertor? Good.

It is difficult to beleive that some people think that a 1000 cc engine is heavier that a 700cc engine (the 1000 has bigger holes for the bigger pistons).

Last guy that told me that my T cat was a heavy pig was sitting on a Polaris Storm that weighed 10# heavier because I threw away the steel skis and he didn't.

Smaller engine doesn't necessarily mean lighter. One of the heaviest sleds I ever got unstuck was a Yamaha Phazer.

An M1000 is a M8 with a bigger muffler (tossed mine) and a longer track (for better climbing). So, removing the muffler makes the 1000 lighter than the 600???

If you think that the M1000 (truth in advertising claims it's the fastest) isn't faster stock you're not very intelligent or excusing your own little man syndrome. 164bhp is MORE. Add another 14bhp for the Y and the can makes it 178 bhp :rant: simpler to understand now?

Chief, an M1000 has more cc's than an M8 and they run essentially the same muffler, and you can get the M8 in a 162" as well. If you throw a can on both the M1000 and M8 to compare apples to apples, the M8 will be lighter. :rolleyes: Weird eh? This brings me to my second point that the M8 is a far more flickable sled (I've ridden both) and therefore more user-friendly, and I can tell you for a fact that my M8 will hang with any stockish M1000 just based on weight difference and putting out the same power. M1000 is just a more torquey engine, and maybe with flatland settings may prove to accelerate faster or have a higher top speed. WHO CARES, IT'S A MOUNTAIN SLED. And if you think you're getting 14 for a Y and can, you should probably stop smokin' the rope. Y may have given you 5-6 at most and can will give you NONE, yes NONE... If anything, you lost horsepower, but it feels like more because 1. The noise. and 2. The difference between the 23 lb stocker and whatever can you purchased.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

Omg buddy. I think I actually SEE stupid coming out of your mouth. "FASTEST".... Your on a MOUNTAIN SLED you dumbass. Lol" Bigger holes"...Cylinders? No one is going to argue your sled is the fastest... NOBODY CARES. Bring it up to the hill... Thats why theres an M in front of M1000 and ill show you whats up. E-TECH STYLE

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also neglected to fill in the blanks of your username - ReT-T-T-Tarded. :D. I don't mean to offend you, or anyone.... But I couldn't help myself.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont be too hard on my pal Ted, if you look close at his picture he has a helmet cam and they add HP

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha this is funny chit! We're in 2011 now buddy. Technology has changed from your 2001 sled. It may have been king of the hill back then, but the new ski doo 800 has the same power as the m1000 now. And the doo is lighter. I'm not just saying that either. All sleds built these days are great, its all about preference. And I prefer my etec doo.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread has potential to go a loooooong way, not very far up the hill though.:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

CRAZY DAVE

Reaction score
ted have you ever been to the mountains...the pic u have there looks like the bunny hill..to have only have been stuck twice..you apperently dont ride often..you bring that pogo stick down to this area..and ill give ya some lessons..same ol.. my sled is the best my sled is the fastest who cares ..lake racing..is for qu..rs..lol.. ill take ya up eagles pass and have ya stuck all day..

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
My daughter rides an M7 with lifted handlebars. Boss lifted seat, Y and exhaust can. Few suspension mods and she's happy. She doesn't do much racing or Hill climbing, but all that she does is good.

I had a Thundercat which I bored, ported etc to 220hp! Bought a ZRT 600 match ported the barrels and case, made aluminium exhuast muffs and used it to race 700-800s and set highmarks.

Then I bought son-in-laws RMK modified 700. Ran twice and then wouldn't run for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Tcat and Poo burned in a Motel fire. I hated the Poo and even with $1350 worth of Fox racing shocks it rode like crap. Hurt my shoulders.

Bought a 2001 M1000 with stinger to replace the Tcat. Lot slower at only 180hp and slower yet with a 155" 2" track, but I lived with it.

Then I bought a 97 Extreme 600 as a spare to my ZRT600 (since it's got about 5500 miles on it). Xtreme came with an extra (bored) 700 triple and an extra chassis seat hood etc. All good!

I bought an '08 M1000 from Gordo's rental/Cat Dealership (where I buy most of my sleds and parts). It was disappointing for the World's fastest normally aspirated production sled. It was lighter than my triple 1000 and slower (contrary to advertisments) so I bought the Y pipe. Government required restrictive exhaust manifold is an emissions piece. I hated the massive muffler with the Toxic metal Catilytic Convertor so I bought a canister and added that. Perfect! Huge response and massive power improvement. With the 80# weight saving over my Triple M1000 they felt equal in power.

So I raced a renegade 800 with my daughter's M7. His sled was also piped and he beat the 700 slightly. I raced the M7 against my Extreme 600 and lost. Figure that the M1000 has about 20 more hp than the Skid 800. No comparison.

My buddy bought an 08 M1000 and added a stinger and Y pipe. They run about the same. We went Hill climbing with all the "other" brands except no one runs a Yamaha. WE kicked asp! The skid nearly got as much air as our buddies M7 (piped). Nowhere close to a M1000.

http://img148.imageshack.us/i/jumpingandflyingsm.jpg/

The M1000 goes only slightly better Than an M800 because it takes a lot of extra power to run that huge 162" track. But, in soft deep powder the M1000 IS ONLY EQUALLED by turbo sleds. After replacing the exhaust pieces the M1000 is unbelievable. To go faster a Turbo M1000 eats all the little sleds without any effort.

When I wear this M1000 out, I'll buy another. The new ones are quite a bit better than my older model. My bud and I paid under $8,000 for these sleds NEW.

Neighbor blew the motor in his 2009 RMK 600. Bought a 2011 Dragon 800 (since the 900s blew up so much they no longer make anything bigger than an 800). He rode it for 120 miles and the track tore, Hyfax welded itself to the track clips. Dealership in Williams Lake refused to warranty and that was another $1200+ He paid over $12000 +tax for an 800 after his 600 blew up before it got to 2 years old???

Other neighbor had 2009 800. When the (second) $3,500 engine blew up after only 30 miles and the warranty ran out over the summer he "DOWNGRADED" to a RMK 600. We expect that he'll live longer with this little sled and he hasn't blown the engine during the last entire year.

Why would anyone buy a Polaris? They built 900s and I don't know anyone that didn't blow up. Although everyone used to buy Polaris and I was the only Cat guy, now there are a couple Cat guys (most people want to got slow and don't want to ride extreme so they ride Skids). There are a couple kids that do ride extreme and they do ride skid 800s. They can beat stock M1000s they tell me :d:d Havn't seen them in my mountains yet.:d

Guess I should mention that MY M1000 for some reason only uses about 80% of the amount of gas used by daughter's M7, buddies M1000, Extreme 600, buddies M7, neighbor's Dragon 800, etc. Pretty strange that I get such fantastic mileage and I don't know why that is, but I do like it. :)

Ted

A sled with "lifted" handle bars? Holy crap look out! and you used your sleds to race 700's and 800's and "SET" high marks..... What do you have the ULTIMATE cross over machine or something? Or do you just swap your gears out all the time....I cant see a mountain sled with a top speed of around 80MPH winning alot of races... but hey.. Im not a doctor. And I should really send you my seld... If you can bore and port yours to 220HP...... Thats some good work!

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
i LOVE these threads.

your m1000 is a turd.

it makes maybe 170hp with the mods you listed.

that is all

Read again maxwell... Its the WORLDS FASTEST Natrually aspirated sled... If thats ALL someone can advertise about a mountain sled..... jesus......

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

2001 M1000? thought they came out in 07, I could be wrong though, glad you like your sled so much. Your results sure are different than what we have seen on the hill. All the new sleds are pretty equal.

Trench:beer:

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

2001 M1000? thought they came out in 07, I could be wrong though, glad you like your sled so much. Your results sure are different than what we have seen on the hill. All the new sleds are pretty equal.

Trench:beer:

That... Is a nice way of saying... Your full of S$%T and everyone on here knows it.

That is all.

Top Bottom