2008 Yamaha Apex

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow sled heads! Well I went and bought my wife and I two Apex's last sat. Now this is my 4th sled and my first 4 stroke sled. Can anyone shed light on the power, torque and type of throttling needed for mountain riding. So far we have rode them off the trailer into the shop. I can't afford turbo this year and am totally happy riding them bone stock. If anyone can shed some light on cost effective mods or mods that will shave off some weight that would be cool. Temps dropping down in Red Deer tonight woot! Thanks and LET IT SNOW!

motorman

Reaction score
i dont know what you mean by "cost effective",but i definatly sugest a left hand throttle for side hilling.Made a world of difference for myself,and only cost around 100 bucks.The seat and exhaust are really heavy,there are alot of options for the both,and if your on a budget you may want to make up your own exhaust system.Depending on your budget i would look into front and rear suspensions,stock is VERY heavy.You can remove the light pod(10lbs i heard)Or you could wait till you roll it and it will be removed for you:eek:
I also changed out the stock skis,they darted very bad,with a set of simmons(night and day difference)

my ape 08 mtx 40 anny
timbersled front and rear
excell exhaust
boss seat
mod rod hood(55w wallmart lights)
Homemade instrument cluster bracket mounted above fuel cap
fuel controller
gold finger lefty
rad removed due to rollover:rant:
kn air filters with prefilters
batt relocated under seat
im ready for a turbo,but my wife is not:(

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recommend a lightweight seat and aftermarket exhaust. I went with the TJ sport boss seat and tunnel dump exhaust combo. Dropper 41 pounds out of my apex and the material it is made out of will not wick up water.

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
Talk to Ron or Jeff at Quantum Velocity Performance in Red Deer, they did wonders for my apex. They can step you through light mods that can liven up your new toy.

Jeff is qvperformance on here

or

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to Ron or Jeff at Quantum Velocity Performance in Red Deer, they did wonders for my apex. They can step you through light mods that can liven up your new toy.

Jeff is qvperformance on here

or

I will check into these fella's Thanks a bunch. First run is gonna be all stock im sure. Any break in tips for these 1000cc apex's??

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recommend a lightweight seat and aftermarket exhaust. I went with the TJ sport boss seat and tunnel dump exhaust combo. Dropper 41 pounds out of my apex and the material it is made out of will not wick up water.

I checked out timbersleds line products, any thoughts on the front/rear suspension mods to shave weight. I wonder about strength as well.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suggest a gym membership and detailed workout to strengthen the back, legs and arms.

Those sleds are a MAJOR PITA to get out when stuck. I know, I ride with two buddies that have them =)

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Barkbuster front end on the RX1 works great and saved a lot of weight, I went with the Holz rear suspension and it shaved a pile of weight as well. Bender pipes work great check them out.

Apex162

Reaction score
I would agree with most of these posts, rip out the foam in the engine comp. and seat new exhaust. If you think that light weight susp. parts on a 700 lb sled will stand up-well guess what will happen bin there done that. Change the large rear shock to a Venture MP style will help also. In all that was said my bro rides complete stock and loves his Apex because it takes him back farther than any 2 smoke can handle and will return.

duner

Reaction score
You can call Extreme Machines in Sylvan Lake, a stones throw from Red Deer. They are very good with every type of sled and have built some of the nicest and fastest turboes around. I believe he's on here as well. He built Tim Mcgregors Apex.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some great tips for this gentleman. I would ride them first before I would go and change a bunch of stuff first. I was amazed at the pull and ride when mine was bone stock. Its a different ride than my old ZX 800 was, so I would recommend you give them a couple trips. Then decide on what you may want to change. I have several friends that run them stock.... and they have a Hoot just as is.
Just remember.... once you start modding.....its hard to stop changing stuff....hahahahaha.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome replies folks! I'm a pretty big guy, been in construction all my life, I won't have any troubles throwing this sled around :) Thanks for all the opinions, man I wish it would snow so I can put her to the test eh. I think for now my first season will be stock, this should give me a great idea on what mods get priorty lol. Kinda hard dumping more dough on the sled without riding it first. That coupled with wifey and 4 children makes er tough sometimes haha...Definately into trying some mods afterwards... Where's the snow, usually dumps around halloween, not this year eh! Thanks guys for the tips and opinions, I will keep my posts updated with my results on the Apex. I hear so many good and bad points, but hear all the same across the board when it comes to brand make and model... Got to love a 150hp 4 stroker out of the box hey...:d

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some great tips for this gentleman. I would ride them first before I would go and change a bunch of stuff first. I was amazed at the pull and ride when mine was bone stock. Its a different ride than my old ZX 800 was, so I would recommend you give them a couple trips. Then decide on what you may want to change. I have several friends that run them stock.... and they have a Hoot just as is.
Just remember.... once you start modding.....its hard to stop changing stuff....hahahahaha.

I know about obsession lol I race modded R/C cars... They can become expensive and addicting...

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can call Extreme Machines in Sylvan Lake, a stones throw from Red Deer. They are very good with every type of sled and have built some of the nicest and fastest turboes around. I believe he's on here as well. He built Tim Mcgregors Apex.

Hey right on, been looking for shops and parts dealers around Red Deer Lately. When I have my list of mods I will be looking them up for a price quote for sure...

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would agree with most of these posts, rip out the foam in the engine comp. and seat new exhaust. If you think that light weight susp. parts on a 700 lb sled will stand up-well guess what will happen bin there done that. Change the large rear shock to a Venture MP style will help also. In all that was said my bro rides complete stock and loves his Apex because it takes him back farther than any 2 smoke can handle and will return.

Hey man, are you still running your Apex?

Apex162

Reaction score
Yes-I notice those problems on the Apex last rear and fix them for this year. Haven't done the seat thing cause I broke the budget this year but will do next. Yamaha should have fixed the seat problem cause it wicks water and it could be higher. They always get us to spend money some how on these things.

Top Bottom