2005 summit RT 1000 151

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know why some have the big rack and others don't. Mine just has the tiny light on the very rear and it's factory i'm sure. Maybe it's for the X model or an option? Not to sure.

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score
we finally got enough snow, ive been able to ride big boy the past couple of days. Damn, power is no joke, everything ive wanted & more!! runs mean, sounds mean with the straightline can. Couple of questions (summitric i know will know em) heheh:

sometimes, maybe 1 outta 3, when i go to start it, the battery light beeps at me, that mean voltage is low?? i checked when i first got it & voltage was up there where it should be, but it has been cold here too.

also is there a battery upgrade?? ive read alot, but havent seen anyone talk about uping the battery system. Ive got the kits coming to put the helmet heat & 12v power (gotta have my spotlight), so wondering if its possible?

also anyone know a link where i can print the service manual?? model in sig

thx

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
we finally got enough snow, ive been able to ride big boy the past couple of days. Damn, power is no joke, everything ive wanted & more!! Runs mean, sounds mean with the straightline can. Couple of questions (summitric i know will know em) heheh:

Sometimes, maybe 1 outta 3, when i go to start it, the battery light beeps at me, that mean voltage is low?? I checked when i first got it & voltage was up there where it should be, but it has been cold here too.

Also is there a battery upgrade?? Ive read alot, but havent seen anyone talk about uping the battery system. Ive got the kits coming to put the helmet heat & 12v power (gotta have my spotlight), so wondering if its possible?

Also anyone know a link where i can print the service manual?? Model in sig

thx

it sounds like your battery is weak..... I've replaced the battery every year..... I haven't replaced it this year yet, but i noticed when i started it last nite, that the battery was weak, so i'll be replacing again..... Upgrades?? Not sure.....

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks highlandrider for the pics of the T stat install. RT Ryder and i have both installed a T stat over the weekend. RT Ryder did it the way highlander did, and I with help from my Dad ended up rigging in an inline T stat from an 2001 summit 700 because i didnt have room for the extra coolant piping with the twin pipes. A bit more work as i had to mill out the top of the head with some fancy die grinding skills and make a spacer so the coolant sensor was out further to let the T stat drop down. RT Ryder and i both found that with the T stat intalled we were between 105-115 degrees now on the motor while riding and the motor stays at a consistant tempature which makes the sled run alot more consistant and should help the engine to have a longer life.

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score
So i need an opinion of someone who has tried the different brands of ski's on their rt 1000.

Mine is the 05, so have tried the shitty stock ones. I bought the 6.9's thinkin they would grab ahold a little better than they are. Better than the stock (5.8 or something?, im assuming thats inches wide?), but still not the handling improvement i thought id get.

So, has anyone tried the Simmons vs. the 6.9's ?? or any other brand that may be a boost on handling? Id like to hear from someone who has tried multiple types. Maybe get the ski's with dual carbides?? i dont care about speed, just want it to grab ahold good. thx

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score
ohhh yeah, also for those that have installed the helmet visor heat hookup, where did yall connect it?? the only connector i found was on the same wire the Dess lanyard is, but i dont think im gettin any juice. tons of connectors, OEM directions show pic from a zx, but no wires there on mine. thx

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and I both have RT's. His an 06' and mine an 05'. Both 162" tracks.

On the 06' he has the Simmons Flex skis Gen 1 daul carbide. His handles like it is on rails on the trail.

On my 05' I have the 6.9's dual carbide. Mine does pretty good but not as well as his.

I believe the difference is in the limiter strap. He has his sucked up a little and mine is pretty much all the way out which causes him to have more ski pressure. Im going to be tightening mine a notch or two this weekend to see if it makes a difference. Hoping it will stop some of the trenching and ski's pointing at the ski when Im climbing too.:d

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont mean to hijack your thread but Im hoping to find an answer about something my sled (05'RT with 07' motor) was doing this past week while in Revy.

Do any of you notice that your sled will change sounds at different times. Say coming down the trail. Constant throttle then crack on it once in awhile and it will change sounds. It becomes a higher pitch and louder sound. Hard to explain. My brother sled does this too.

Also (This going to sound stupid but) if thebattery is low and you start the sled and the light goes out does it matter that the battery was low? What does the battery do?

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
my brother and i both have rt's. His an 06' and mine an 05'. Both 162" tracks.

On the 06' he has the simmons flex skis gen 1 daul carbide. His handles like it is on rails on the trail.

On my 05' i have the 6.9's dual carbide. Mine does pretty good but not as well as his.

I believe the difference is in the limiter strap. He has his sucked up a little and mine is pretty much all the way out which causes him to have more ski pressure. Im going to be tightening mine a notch or two this weekend to see if it makes a difference. Hoping it will stop some of the trenching and ski's pointing at the ski when im climbing too.:d

that will make a big difference.... Mine is a little too loose right now too, and has very little ski pressure. I will be adjusting that this weekend as well.

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score
Do any of you notice that your sled will change sounds at different times. Say coming down the trail. Constant throttle then crack on it once in awhile and it will change sounds. It becomes a higher pitch and louder sound. Hard to explain. My brother sled does this too.

Also (This going to sound stupid but) if thebattery is low and you start the sled and the light goes out does it matter that the battery was low? What does the battery do?

Yeah i noticed this on mine, maybe more so with the new can. It will sound super sweet for a bit, then change pitch in some way. I just reckond at certain rpm's it would put out different pitches, @ 7g & 2200 boy it sounds great! But yeah, i wish it would keep that one pitch i really like.

With the battery, which light goes out? the battery light on speedo? I know when mine was low, & i pushed that start button, the battery light would beep at me till i pulled the starter rope. Also my check engine light would come on after 7500rpm, changed battery, now all good, no beep. I would say take a volt meter to it, if low just replace. Not much experience, but from reading, i am going to just replace that battery each year. I tried to recharge it, but after a few cold nights, it would be low again.

SUMMITRIC- or Metalfusion guy (sweet ride), with those 6.9 dual carbides, is there 2 different 6.9 ski's or did yall drill holes in that outter slot & put a carbide in there? When i was ordering, i didnt see an option for a dual 6.9, but looking at it, i can see where it could be fitted. thx for the replys

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6.9s are designed for dual carbides and imo work very well. The change in pitch in exhaust sound happens when the exhaust rave valves open.The battery must have a min of 12.5 volts to provide enough power for all the electronics on the RT,even after the machine is running.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
yeah i noticed this on mine, maybe more so with the new can. It will sound super sweet for a bit, then change pitch in some way. I just reckond at certain rpm's it would put out different pitches, @ 7g & 2200 boy it sounds great! But yeah, i wish it would keep that one pitch i really like.

With the battery, which light goes out? The battery light on speedo? I know when mine was low, & i pushed that start button, the battery light would beep at me till i pulled the starter rope. Also my check engine light would come on after 7500rpm, changed battery, now all good, no beep. I would say take a volt meter to it, if low just replace. Not much experience, but from reading, i am going to just replace that battery each year. I tried to recharge it, but after a few cold nights, it would be low again.

Summitric- or metalfusion guy (sweet ride), with those 6.9 dual carbides, is there 2 different 6.9 ski's or did yall drill holes in that outter slot & put a carbide in there? When i was ordering, i didnt see an option for a dual 6.9, but looking at it, i can see where it could be fitted. Thx for the replys

ya, replace the battery.... I have replaced my little battery every year to year and a half...... I don't have electric start, and the little battery activates the fuel pump, so if you don't have proper battery power, it will be a biotch to start....... Happened to me in valemount and luckily i was able to boost it from an xp with electric start, and it was okay for that ride, and the napa in valemount brought one in for me...... I just replaced mine, again before this last ride. Alway keep the battery in top shape or replace it....

Also in the fuse panel, replace the relays every 2 years or so..... I think there are 3 of them, and napa can supply them as well(they're cheap insurance), and i also carry a spare with me too.... Also put dielectic grease on the relay terminals, and also remove the main computer connections and pack dielectric into that as well......keeps the moisture out(very common problem)

the change in sound is weird, but its actually the sled upshifting..... A good clutch kit can help this too..... I installed a dynamo joe clutch kit(he's very familiar with the 1000rt's). Nothing to worry about......but it does happen to me on the trails, especially going up renshaw, and at the higher cruising speed......kinda upshifts, and then when i slow down a little, it backshifts...... Almost like there is 2 speeds

the 6.9's i have are stock on the highmark, and came with the 2 sets of carbides..... My middle ones have worn a bit, so i rotated them to the outside this year, as the outer ones don't wear nearly as bad, but not bad for 5 years old.....still get another couple years outta them i think. I'm going to get another set of 6.9's from a friend and i'll have to drill the outer holes to put the carbides in, for my little 800 for my son.

Hope that helps, guys......

freehand

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just bought a summit 1000 2005. The sled stalls going up hill, I turn sled facing downhill and she starts up and runs fine. Has anyone had this problem? thanks Freehand

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score
ohhh yeah, also for those that have installed the helmet visor heat hookup, where did yall connect it?? the only connector i found was on the same wire the Dess lanyard is, but i dont think im gettin any juice. tons of connectors, OEM directions show pic from a zx, but no wires there on mine. thx

anyone know? thx

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the 6.9 skis suppose to come with dual carbides? Mine is a 06 X model. I found out mine aren't. Last ride it was handling like absolute crap on the trail, put it on it's side for a ski inspection later that day (you know on purpose of course!! :d ) and found my 1 carbide come off the front, only the rear mount was holding it.

Don't really care if I have dual carbides, it seems to handle fine on the trail, just wondering what the sled is suppose to have?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6.9's are a dual carbide ski..or were, I think they left one out on the XP's to reduce weight.

Top Bottom