2005 summit RT 1000 151

sleddinfamily

Reaction score
Who does the mid altitude update? is it required if you have a Boondocker Box? Mine is still coughing a little black smoke,just wondering if this would help? Any idea what the cost is?
2006 RT 1000 162" stock pipe with MBRP can, dual screen Digitron, Boondocker box, air box removed and installed "Kick Ass" filters with pre filters.

RT Ryder

Reaction score
Since this is kind of a ask the wise about RTs thread, I found that my front cooler was leaking and decided to by pass it. I ran the coolant through and it has been sitting in my friends shop for the past month and he noticed that it slowly leaking still (not in the cooler). I think its leaking out of the hose that I used to connect from the middle cooler to the engine. What kind of hose do you recommend to use to get through these tight bends, keep shape and change from 3/4 to 1" (I think that is what it is). Any input is appreciated.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
who does the mid altitude update? Is it required if you have a boondocker box? Mine is still coughing a little black smoke,just wondering if this would help? Any idea what the cost is?
2006 rt 1000 162" stock pipe with mbrp can, dual screen digitron, boondocker box, air box removed and installed "kick ass" filters with pre filters.

ski-doo dealers do it, and i think it was about $60.00 to get a new program burned....... I'm gonna buy the programmer soon, and doo my own.....;)

RT Ryder

Reaction score
Who does the mid altitude update? is it required if you have a Boondocker Box? Mine is still coughing a little black smoke,just wondering if this would help? Any idea what the cost is?
2006 RT 1000 162" stock pipe with MBRP can, dual screen Digitron, Boondocker box, air box removed and installed "Kick Ass" filters with pre filters.

The mid altitude map update is the 2007 computer program update and is supposed to be the best for the RTs. This would create a new base for you to tune off of. From what I have read and a friends experience from this week, the black smoke is from it running too cold and I would suggest a thermostat. The update map should cost around $60 from Martin Equip in Edmonton, I just talked to them about it today. Takes about 30 minutes to load onto the sled and make sure your battery is charged before you go.

Canuck 1

Reaction score
Just to add to the survey(or maybe we should start one)? My 06 RT has never had a problem with running cold. And I'm not a fair weather rider.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled RT Ryder is talking about is my 06. I have found that when i was running the sled in Valemount this week trying to tune in my 1100 Bikeman with twin pipes and a timbersled intake that it would cause me runnability issues when trying to tune. I could get the sled to pull hard as long as i had some engine temp (on trail up with less snow) and as soon as I would stop my sled and let it cool off for even 2 minutes while throwing the fuel off the back or as soon as i got into some deep powder the sled would go into a limp mode or rich mode as my engine temp would fall off would limit the sled down to 7000 RPM and richen the bottom endout so that it would bog and throw smoke like a diesel. I tried to clear these symptoms out with the boondocker control box as it the bottom end was loading up my plugs and affecting my upper RPM ranges. But then when the sled would heat up(coolant temp)and switch modes you would be lean where you tried to correct your rich problems . I am going to put in a thermostat as i think it will solve my issues. Has anbody else experinced issues like this with there thousand?

sleddinfamily

Reaction score
Well went to Martins today and they had no service techs in at all, the service guy new nothing about the thermostat install that you all talk about.I would like to know where the thermostat goes, and is it a lot of work.

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score
i seen a thread with a couple of pics either on dootalk, or snowest forum on the thermostat install. just go there and search the model. My dealer had never heard of em putting t-stats on them either. so ill wait & see if any problems.

i like the survey idea. how about adding if they upgraded the fuel pump as well?? id like to know how many has the factory (or updated factory?) vs. the heavy duty chevy pump.

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score
THROUGH THE YEAR, WILL BE PUTTIN ON BIG PIPE(OR PIPES, HAVEN'T FULLY DECIDED YET) AND CYLINDER HEAD, AND PROGRAMMER........ LATER IN THE YEAR THE 174" TRACK:d

be sure to get us a couple of pics, i didnt know that 174 was an option, aftermarket i assume, thats crazy. gonna make me jealous! haha

highlandrider

Reaction score
I put a thermostat in last year in my Rt and I would say it is more consistant power, it seemed to fade in deep snow before the thermostat. Here is a few pics on the xp thermostat installed on the rt. I just think it is good engine insurance to keep it at a constant temp.

Attachments

• Themo 1.jpg
    Themo 1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 126
  • thermo 2.jpg
    thermo 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 117
  • thermo 3.jpg
    thermo 3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 122

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed a thermostat on my RT this season also. Temps stay consistant,less chance of cold bog,engine warms up quicker also. Good mod I think.

summitron

Reaction score
Just to add my two cents. 05 1000rt w/151" and I've ridden mine now for four full seasons, mostly in Sicamous and Revy. It has never let me down. It is pretty much bullet proof, a little thirsty, but never even a hiccup. Other than seasonal maintenance, and a new can, I have never touched it. Original skis and I still have all the foam, all the coolers. In my case I have the gas can and saddle bag filled with extras, ropes, tools, clothing, food, water, belts. I weigh about 200lbs and carry 20lbs in my pack, so I figure a few pounds here and there don't matter. It usually has a 100lbs of snow and ice packed all over it. I just squeeze the trigger a little harder and it always goes where I want. This year I might put it on a diet, and change the skiis,( mine are getting pretty beat) I would like to improve the handling. There is no doubt its a bit of big pig to wrestle all day, but the power is really addicting. Put this power in an XP chassis and I might consider an upgrade. I charge the battery every spring and fall, but I replaced it this year. Overall My best sled ever. My next sled is going to be electric start. Have a great season and enjoy your sled!

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i put a thermostat in last year in my rt and i would say it is more consistant power, it seemed to fade in deep snow before the thermostat. Here is a few pics on the xp thermostat installed on the rt. I just think it is good engine insurance to keep it at a constant temp.

i see that by the last picture, you have a plug in your exhaust can, where the oxygen sensor goes..... Did yours not come with one from factory? If it did, then why remove and disconnect it???

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i seen a thread with a couple of pics either on dootalk, or snowest forum on the thermostat install. Just go there and search the model. My dealer had never heard of em putting t-stats on them either. So ill wait & see if any problems.

I like the survey idea. How about adding if they upgraded the fuel pump as well?? Id like to know how many has the factory (or updated factory?) vs. The heavy duty chevy pump.

there is another thread somewhere from a while back on this site, about installing the thermostat, and how to doo it.... Think i will doo that this week, just for something to doo....;)

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i see that by the last picture, you have a plug in your exhaust can, where the oxygen sensor goes..... Did yours not come with one from factory? If it did, then why remove and disconnect it???

The 05's did not come with it. The 07 mid-altitude programming does not use any info sent to it from this sensor anyway.:cool:

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score

yeah my 05 didnt have one, had to call straightline cuz i seen in the instructions it says to plug it back in, yet i didnt unplug anything to begin with.

Also, for yall that have taken off the bulky taillight, what did you replace it with? ive seen a couple without it, it looks like they replaced with smaller light, yet its in a plastic housing. Where/what to order?? i just see different lenses. i think it looks better with a smaller taillight.

RT Ryder

Reaction score
Thanks for the post of the t-stat, I think I will pick one up on tuesday. Do you know what temperature these sleds normally run at and what temperatures different years of t-stats open at?

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
also, for yall that have taken off the bulky taillight, what did you replace it with? Ive seen a couple without it, it looks like they replaced with smaller light, yet its in a plastic housing. Where/what to order?? I just see different lenses. I think it looks better with a smaller taillight.

i put xrs taillites on both our sleds.... Took the big arm breaker racks and lites off.... These work good, and with the long luggage rack rails down the top sides of the tunnel, you can hide the wiring and it looks stock!

Top Bottom