2005 summit RT 1000 151

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Welcome aboard, rondun.... A few of us on the site here have the 1000's.... They're a little heavy, but tons of power. You might look at the upgrades/differences between the '05 and '06's.... '06 has the roller secondary('05's dont)..... And the '06 has the 6.9 pilot skiis.... '05 doesn't........ Lots of upgrades and ya, they are a great sled, but a little heavy.... Still can be thrown around quite easily.

Be sure to post your home flag/pin on the membermap on the front forum page, just down the left side...

Tunderin' RT

Reaction score
Welcome Rondun. I've got the same machine and agree with everything Summitric says. You will get hooked on the power. Change out your skis the first chance you get.

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran a 05 summit for 3 years. I put on a TEAM roller secondary , geared down from 23 tooth top to 20. 151 originally came the 23 tooth in 05. Team primary clutch kit for the elevation you run at. The other I think was one of my better purchases was a Boss seat. 7lbs weight saving and also a way better seat than stock. A few for sale on this site. Oh ya and a Can. 17 lbs savings with one from Jaws. Make sure it has the Mid altitude program for 2000-7000 feet.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My uncle has that sled. I borrowed it last winter when mine was down and found it to be heavier and wider. I am a small guy so i went to town and found the tallest riser i could. Made a world of difference. Power rocks on that machine.

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got a summit 1000 anything I should know, How does it handle .:):eek:

Power is addicting...Rode a friends for a lil bit on a trip, anytime you wanted the skis would be in the air, once they touched the ground tho you would be sinking under the surface, it was really heavy but the power makes up for it

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pounded the living #$@& out of mine for 4000k. Funnest sled I've had once I got all the rich running issues dealt with.
Put a thermostat in it off an 08 XP
6.9 pilot skis
change chain before every 1500km
repack crank bearings and pistons and rings every third season or 3500k for reliability
Drive it hard, tough to bend, enjoy

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
pounded the living #$@& out of mine for 4000k. Funnest sled i've had once i got all the rich running issues dealt with.
Put a thermostat in it off an 08 xp
6.9 pilot skis
repack crank bearings and pistons and rings every third season or 3500k for reliability
drive it hard, tough to bend, enjoy

put a 15w drive chain in it to prevent the chain from breaking.... 19 & 45 gearing

highlandrider

Reaction score
Pounded the living #$@& out of mine for 4000k. Funnest sled I've had once I got all the rich running issues dealt with.
Put a thermostat in it off an 08 XP
6.9 pilot skis
Drive it hard, tough to bend, enjoy

Nytroman, how did you do the thermostat install? Did you machine the housing on the outlet of the engine or does the 08 xp thermostat drop in? Got a 05 1000rt 162x, gonna take the rear cooler out (06 doesn't have it)
Simmons Skis
9 tooth extroverts

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry to post on a semi-older thread but, didnt want to start a new one. I got one of these sleds in the 162", & have been reading alot of the good info on this & other forums about em. We are still waiting on enough snow to ride (coming next week hopefully), so im sooooooo anxious to get this bad boy out there. Im 6'3 230 & cornfed, so i dont think ill have any issues with throwing the sled around.

A little info on mine: bought used (850mi) in Oct, has all factory updates done (including that 07 program), rear cooler already gone, ported track, geared down to a 21 & somethin, i did straightline can & polished tunnel so far. It has been sitting for the 07 & 08 season, maybe because of the problems this model was having?? not sure why, but my dealership's owner was the previous owner, so i dont think i got a lemon.

Summitric seems to have alot of good info, if he reads this- did you ever put a t-stat on your sled?? Im going to go ahead and put a 15w chain on as advised. i guess ill wait & see if any blk smoke to decide on the t-stat for mine. Also does anyone know if that factory replacement fuel pump is heavy duty enough Vs. the original one & Vs. that chevy diesel pump??

I am ordering a timersled air intake kit, boss seat, & 6.9 pilot ski's. Ive got a vent kit coming from Mountian Fit. Ready to rip it up !!!

mac22

Reaction score
Figured I might as well jump in as well, I have an 05 Rt and love it, As the others have said, Tall riser, Skies, and 15 wide chain are a must, The timbersled intake helped out my throttle responce as well as shed a fewLbs, Plus a pipe and can dont hurt either.
Enjoy The ride

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep they are great sleds. Had my 06 out once this year already, best sled i've ever rode. Heavier then a 800 but not even a comparison in power. They get a bad rep and can be found for cheap which works out great for people who know they are a great sled.

As far as the t-stat. I was thinking of it, but my 06 doesn't run cold whatsoever. So not worth the hassle.

Plus next summer, I am going to add boost to it, so I will worry about all the mods then :d

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, so do yall have the skidoo replacement fuel pump (i think they had a update for the issue?), or upgraded to that chevy one??

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, so do yall have the skidoo replacement fuel pump (i think they had a update for the issue?), or upgraded to that chevy one??

I don't really know, i've only had mine out once and never any problems. I have heard a bit bad about the pumps, but just that they need to be replaced after some miles, not that they are junk or anything.

The biggest thing I see is check the battery. I was 30 mins from leaving to Mcbride last weekend and the sled wouldn't start, even though I had charged the battery and ran the sled for a while before. Before the new battery it gave me problems starting it really bad, so much I checked plugs, gas, etc. Was only $70 and martin had in stock, but wouldn't want to be out sledding and have it happen. New battery it starts 1 pull even sitting out in -20C can't believe it!

My only beef with the sled is no gas gauge. I have absolutely nothing, would be nice to have some idea what I have for fuel.

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score
yeah, from reading, ill budget a new battery each year. Tested mine, 12.6v so should be good to go.

I noticed the no gas gauge, but luckily mine has that see-through gas tank. :d i think i seen on on Ebay about a week or so back, not sure if still there.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You guys should pull all 3 relays in the fuse panel and replace all 3 with the napa relays...... Be sure to use di-electric grease on the connectors, and even in the computer connectors.........just sayin'. I actually carry an extra relay at any one time....

SkiDoo Crazy

Reaction score
theres summitric, hey i did a shout out to ya a couple post back on the first page. I seen you were considering a thermostat, did you ever install one?? Ive read numerous post to do it, but others say running fine without it. i guess ill at least run it around a few miles before deciding for sure. Im putting in that 15w chain as advised. Ill run by napa to grab a couple relays as well to carry with me.

thanks for all the good info!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres summitric, hey i did a shout out to ya a couple post back on the first page. I seen you were considering a thermostat, did you ever install one?? Ive read numerous post to do it, but others say running fine without it. i guess ill at least run it around a few miles before deciding for sure. Im putting in that 15w chain as advised. Ill run by napa to grab a couple relays as well to carry with me.

Yea extra relays are good, but if your in a bind you've got a "extra" from the handlebar warmers, who uses them anyway :d

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

HI......NOPE, NEVER DID THE THERMOSTAT.....SEEMS TO RUN JUST FINE WITHOUT. I AM PUTTING ON A KOSO TEMP GUAGE THIS WEEKEND, AND ALSO A DIGITRON, SO I CAN CLOSELY MONITOR WHAT IS HAPPENING.... ALSO GONNA GET THE MID ALTITUDE '07 REBURN SOON, INSTEAD OF JERRY'S(MARTIN EQPMT) SPECIAL PROGRAM. THROUGH THE YEAR, WILL BE PUTTIN ON BIG PIPE(OR PIPES, HAVEN'T FULLY DECIDED YET) AND CYLINDER HEAD, AND PROGRAMMER........ LATER IN THE YEAR THE 174" TRACK:d

Top Bottom