200 rigs

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trucking rates have gone right thru the FLOOR, and to think I was going to buy one!

The oil companies are getting charity from the truckers trying to delay going broke...

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work more after the drillings done. I sure hope the price of natural gas goes up.

KH2110

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sure hope the price of gas stays right where its at

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Ritchie Brothers is gonna be busy for awhile. It's scary when some of these bigger companies are also being weeded out. BTW, I only worked 3 days in August so here's lookin' up for September.

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, they just shut down our Redddeer branch, and after 18 yrs, I find myself unemployed. We moved drilling rigs around cent. AB, but still have 5 other divisions in AB. Things are not good in the patch boys, they just kicked 30 employees to the curb, no thx, no handshake... no Pi$$ all, makes a fella feel real good, just the start of a big company down sizing. Damn rights ritchie bros will be busy... for a long ..... long time, lots of stuff consolidating right now.

Me.. I'm hoping to get the hell out of this patch, once and for all.....

poorboy

Reaction score
if it ever gets busy going to be back like a few years ago green hands and overworked guys with experience gotta love the patch

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ritchie Brothers is gonna be busy for awhile. It's scary when some of these bigger companies are also being weeded out. BTW, I only worked 3 days in August so here's lookin' up for September.

Iteresting to see if the USA boys will still come and buy everything up again!

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
This is what is going on in my neck of the woods. Westrange Oilfield is done (20+ units-rig moving,etc) Twilight Oilfield is in the sale ( Gilbert did not buy it back - alot of tired iron). Optimum Oilfield is closing their doors sometime this month. Mullen is considering closing the Swanberg branch here (Edson was done allready ) allthough they did renew their alliance with Shell. Kos,Transco and D&D Well are doing a bit but the bidding is fierce and the #'s are apauling compared to this time last year.

rhinoefi

Reaction score
The patch is slow there is no doubt in that , all the big goo-roos of the patch say it might pickup a bit this winter , but we shouldn't see anything positive untill the 3rd quarter in 2010. $3.00 gas with the possibility that it might hit $1.00 is not good for anybody.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure seems like a lot of people are looking at the glass half empty. Oil is so up and down it's not even funny. Most others thing around here are up like construction, road work all that stuff is insanly busy. There is places hiring all over, most places are busy as heck. Anyone I know doing HD mechanic, welding, machining etc and all extremly busy.

Probably a good time to get out of the patch! But people just go to it when it's hot for the big money and when it's slow complain there is no work, o well.....I give it another year or 2 max and it will be crazy again.

All I care about is gas and diesel prices, nothing else effects me because i'm unemployed by choice, yay for school :)

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Cyle, yay for you. Some of us, like myself .. dont run to the patch when we need money. I've been in it for 20 plus years, and this is the worst I've seen it. If you have something in your blood , you stick it out because you enjoy it, yes the money can be great, but when the hammer drops, alot of people lose. Yay for you.

grizzley1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes it is slow and will be slow yet for a while. i work for a drilling contactor and we have an 1/8 of our fleet out. we have had lots of customers asking for rigs this winter but nothing writen in stone. weve bee n told that gas is gonna hit a buck. save your money and good luck to all.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Well Cyle, yay for you. Some of us, like myself .. dont run to the patch when we need money. I've been in it for 20 plus years, and this is the worst I've seen it. If you have something in your blood , you stick it out because you enjoy it, yes the money can be great, but when the hammer drops, alot of people lose. Yay for you.

26 yrs in the "patch" for me Rubicon...all truckin' :d Yes it is a dam disease so I know how ya feel. :beer::beer::beer: I still very much enjoy it and diesel flows through my blood. It's been a good way of living and alot of things have changed over the years. No career change for this boy any time soon:cool:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well my point is, 2 years ago everyone in the patch was making an absolute killing, and it's slow now for less time then it was booming, WHY are people complaining? If you cannot survive a slow year or more, something is very wrong. Last year I didn't work for 6 weeks straight and for 5 months didn't make enough to cover my absolute bills, and I cannot even collect EI, nothing. I didn't run out of money, nor did I complain to anyone.

Anyone who is loosing things right now doesn't know how to manage money, flat out and has to learn the hard way eventully.

Now is not worth then the 80's, I know that for a fact. In the 80's there was NOTHING in ANY part of work.

It's ok, in about 5 years after the next boom has slowed down, I will be there buying up stuff from people who don't know money management :d

Some people in the patch maybe be different but not to many. All make huge money, and blow it all as fast as they get it. No matter how much they bring in they never have anything to show for it.

poorboy

Reaction score
i ve been around it for 15 years and i agree have not seen so much parked iron remember the early 80's stayed on farm could not buy a job got a trade instead

Andy the Digger

Reaction score
Well my point is, 2 years ago everyone in the patch was making an absolute killing, and it's slow now for less time then it was booming, WHY are people complaining? If you cannot survive a slow year or more, something is very wrong. Last year I didn't work for 6 weeks straight and for 5 months didn't make enough to cover my absolute bills, and I cannot even collect EI, nothing. I didn't run out of money, nor did I complain to anyone.

Anyone who is loosing things right now doesn't know how to manage money, flat out and has to learn the hard way eventully.

Now is not worth then the 80's, I know that for a fact. In the 80's there was NOTHING in ANY part of work.

It's ok, in about 5 years after the next boom has slowed down, I will be there buying up stuff from people who don't know money management :d

Some people in the patch maybe be different but not to many. All make huge money, and blow it all as fast as they get it. No matter how much they bring in they never have anything to show for it.

Most people that have been in the patch over 10 years are specialized in something or another... Its a real kick in the gonads to be great at something, and all of a sudden get shown the curb, and not have a recognized trade in something your a professional at... YET... when things are good, they can't ask enough of them, the long days away, the long hours, months without a day off, and TAXED to the limit while doing so... And when it crashes, BUH BYE!!!
I know lots of guys who "Blew" their money.. it was called the stock market... and its what makes everything go round... They had financial planners make them a plan.. They bought houses when things went stupid high in the fear of it going even higher...
This isn't about roughnecks who spend too much time at the strip bar...

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most people that have been in the patch over 10 years are specialized in something or another... Its a real kick in the gonads to be great at something, and all of a sudden get shown the curb, and not have a recognized trade in something your a professional at... YET... when things are good, they can't ask enough of them, the long days away, the long hours, months without a day off, and TAXED to the limit while doing so... And when it crashes, BUH BYE!!!
I know lots of guys who "Blew" their money.. it was called the stock market... and its what makes everything go round... They had financial planners make them a plan.. They bought houses when things went stupid high in the fear of it going even higher...
This isn't about roughnecks who spend too much time at the strip bar...

Well said Andy.....:beer:

Top Bottom