200 rigs

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
its no record setting year in the patch but we are creeping up on 200 rigs in w.canada. hopefully the recovery comes sooner than later!

how many of you on the drilling end (like me) are keeping busy this summer?

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am lucky enough to be busy during this slow time, but most of my work is out of country.:d

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a pretty good year so far managing to work approx. 143 days and a tad on the to busy side. Can't call enjoying summer staring out the window at a drilling rig.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
its no record setting year in the patch but we are creeping up on 200 rigs in w.canada. hopefully the recovery comes sooner than later!

how many of you on the drilling end (like me) are keeping busy this summer?

Rig Count - Canada 152, July 23 2009
That's all of Canada,guess you could call that "creeping up on 200"???

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One buddy I know who is drilling is busier now then last year. Seems to be working about 2 weeks a month. Rest of the time he found a job in the city.

Sure doesn't seem to slow, only about a month behind in work here.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best Q1 we ever had in 9 years of business. 2nd Q is the worst and 3rd Q is the same the 2nd. Were pretty strong and can hang on but I hope not much longer. Might not be hitting the hills as much this winter. Don't like that thought. :eek::eek::beer:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
dont know which one is off... but one thing i can tell you i used rig locator on canadian wellsite and it didnt show all the rigs :nono:

btw this is w.canada (man included)

Ya,my number was from Canadian Wellsite...you're probably right!!??!!

Robins

Reaction score
Crappy start of the year for me, worked 11 days between Christmas '08 to the end of April. The company gave me a choice, transfer to Mexico and take a pay cut or stay in Canada and take a layoff... So, currently its about 35 degrees in Mexico and i'm staring out the window at an Foxxe rig that i'm pretty sure has never seen any kind of preventitive maintenance. Push says it used to be a lawn ornament.

Black08Brute

Reaction score
I think I worked 6 days from april til june and 3 days so far this month. Damn good thing I'm on salary.

T

Timed Trench

I'm at 5 days now since april 17th....... Sure have a nicely landscaped yard tho!!!!!

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well.... comin from a rig mover in central AB, this plain sucks azz.... I am lucky to still have my hands with me, when we do a move, its at 50% of what it should be, and thats just the bid to get the work, not how much you actually lose on the rig move.

So, the poor, poor, destitute oil companies, are getting, on the norm, 2 rig moves for the price of one, and still trying to chisel down the cost of moving.

Once again, the rich get richer, and us lowly guys get it in the azz....:mad:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want anyone to take this wrong, but I think everyone had to see this coming. Things got out of hand, the cost of things got out of hand. Workers got greedy for the most part. It had to balance out eventully, oil companies were getting stuck with insane costs to get anything done, and now that's it's slow they are simply returning the favour(not that they couldn't afford it with the record profits however). Simply put, the money many people were making for doing nothing was stupid.

Anyone who thinks right now in Alberta is "hard times" is dreaming. It is one of the best places in North America right now, if not the world. There is still TONS and TONS of work out there.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well.... comin from a rig mover in central AB, this plain sucks azz.... I am lucky to still have my hands with me, when we do a move, its at 50% of what it should be, and thats just the bid to get the work, not how much you actually lose on the rig move.

So, the poor, poor, destitute oil companies, are getting, on the norm, 2 rig moves for the price of one, and still trying to chisel down the cost of moving.

Once again, the rich get richer, and us lowly guys get it in the azz....:mad:

i hear ya... i own a vac company. companies want water/vac for the same price as a vac alone two years ago. hell i welder hourly rates arent too far from ours :(

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want anyone to take this wrong, but I think everyone had to see this coming. Things got out of hand, the cost of things got out of hand. Workers got greedy for the most part. It had to balance out eventully, oil companies were getting stuck with insane costs to get anything done, and now that's it's slow they are simply returning the favour(not that they couldn't afford it with the record profits however). Simply put, the money many people were making for doing nothing was stupid.

Anyone who thinks right now in Alberta is "hard times" is dreaming. It is one of the best places in North America right now, if not the world. There is still TONS and TONS of work out there.

For me my rental rates have not changed in the 3 years I've been renting dumb iron. I'm pretty small outfit, but I don't think I could cut the rate on say a 400bbl water tank, it cost me $28000.00 to buy and rig up and the rental rate is $35 per day. But my insurance has sure gone up...????

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think i have had 100 days this year so far. Im busy as heck and i guess we have another 200 wells to do yet this year. I think the goverment should pull there heads out of the gutter and then it might be a little busier for everyone. I know alot of buddies in alberta that have nothin to do but pull there pud thats for sure.

Top Bottom