1st Calf Of The Year

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's our 1st calf of the yr. Our only holstein cow, that we put twins on, calved a little early this yr. We don't start calving till Mar 21. Opps:)

Attachments

• 0212101859b.jpg
    0212101859b.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 144

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Until you get some twins... Are U milking her & bottle/pail feeding the calf ?...Milk & cream for the house ?

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went out and bought 2 more calves to put on her. Hand milking a milk cow gets very tiring on the hands. Milked her off after the calf was done, and got another 9L of milk. We split it up into 1L bottles and freeze for the twin calves or weak calves, so they get coloustrum right away without having to suck on their mother.

When you compare this cow to other cows that are constantly milking, 9L is not very much. Someone can give you a more accurate number but, I think milk cows can give more than 15L at a time. Just think, alot of the more expereniced generation (politically correct term for older generation) used to milk those cows by hand twice a day. :d

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we start april 1st. This could be our last year, iam getting pretty tired of working for free.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Growing up.... Used to milk up to 44 dairy cows with 5 surge milking machines & seperate the milk. Cream went to town & every animal on the farm got milk.... Fugg we had turkies the size of Arnie & ya would not :nono: fugg with the geese ! :d

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we start april 1st. This could be our last year, iam getting pretty tired of working for free.

Isn't that the truth. Both my wife and I work off farm also. The way I look at it, as long as the cows still make the land payments and a little bit for themslves, it's worth it. I don't think I could live in town. You definnitly have to like the lifestyle or it would be like shooting yourself in the head everyday.:d

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's our 1st calf of the yr. Our only holstein cow, that we put twins on, calved a little early this yr. We don't start calving till Mar 21. Opps:)

Holy crap, it came out with a moustache and glasses!! :d:d

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread for us farmer folk; one of the best times of the year.

Unfortunate that we cannot be just farmers......

Top Bottom