1978 Jayco Build

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's not jump to conclusions here, how did you know it was used and not just a practical joke his buddies were playing on him one night while drinking a few beers? :D

Lots of questions here rowdy girl.......ribbed or smooth? Color? Size? Scented? Haha
Ok Ewwwww , past Ewwwww

If it's outa the rapper, not good

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ingenius idea looks like it will all work out with the plan u have,besides who needs all that flashy chit to go in the bush and have some fun.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the futon in, kitchen table is fixed, weird shelving under kitchen table bench taken out and started working on getting the fridge in. Have to brace it up some more, cut the exterior holes, frame that all in and drill the holes for propane and electrical.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3 (1).JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 1 (4).JPG

photo 2 (2).JPG

photo 1 (1).JPG

photo 3.JPG

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tonight was all about covering up the weird holes all over my trailer. Haha. A few under the sink that could have let spideys in, so I covered them up. Also made the spot where the furnace was into a cabinet and soft closed the fridge opening. Wednesday I'll anchor the fridge in, drill the holes for propane and electrical and cut into the side!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 260

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Project is going good! I'm even on budget so far thanks to Kijiji, supplies I had around the house and using materials I've taken out of the trailer. :)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
best advice I can give you Rowdy, from a guy who just got rid of a trailer of very similar vintage...... New Bearings..... don't even bother repacking, go get new ones and then you know you're good, and watch the tires, we had one seperate a couple years back and it tore out the fenderwell, and half the kitchen cabinets.......

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best advice I can give you Rowdy, from a guy who just got rid of a trailer of very similar vintage...... New Bearings..... don't even bother repacking, go get new ones and then you know you're good, and watch the tires, we had one seperate a couple years back and it tore out the fenderwell, and half the kitchen cabinets.......

Thanks TylerG...I had them repacked them already so I will stick with this for the time being. The place I went to are really good and I feel that if they were bad enough to need to be replaced they would have told me that.

I put two new tires on it, and made sure they were on either side at the back and had the older tires in the front of the dual axles. I'm considering flipping the axles next year, but would have to get someone to do that. So that's additional cost and something to consider.

I'm still very new to pulling a trailer so my paranoia has me checking my mirrors often looking for flying parts or flat tires.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks TylerG...I had them repacked them already so I will stick with this for the time being. The place I went to are really good and I feel that if they were bad enough to need to be replaced they would have told me that.

I put two new tires on it, and made sure they were on either side at the back and had the older tires in the front of the dual axles. I'm considering flipping the axles next year, but would have to get someone to do that. So that's additional cost and something to consider.

I'm still very new to pulling a trailer so my paranoia has me checking my mirrors often looking for flying parts or flat tires.

when that tire went on mine I never saw it :S wasn't fun, but we got it fixed and used it for another year or so afterwards.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OoOhhhh...I can almost hear wheels turning from here. What are you planning?! :)

Well, I had originally thought of camperizing an enclosed trailer but that's not exactly a cheap option. Now I'm thinking of buying an older trailer and turning it into a toy hauler much like you did.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I had originally thought of camperizing an enclosed trailer but that's not exactly a cheap option. Now I'm thinking of buying an older trailer and turning it into a toy hauler much like you did.

Awesome idea! When I was looking in the under $2000 range, there was a ton of options. Would LOVE to see what you do if you decide to take on this project. :beer: :D

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

sure, now you're in the market, my old travelaire would have been a perfect candidate for this project, but it sold back in June.

This is the time of year though that people start selling campers cheaper as they don't want to pay storage over the winter or whatever.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info Rowdy. I'll definitely let you know what I come up with if I ever get a similar project started. I have a similar issue in that I need to pick up a trailer small enough to fit on my driveway since I have nowhere else to work on it. For now though, I have to keep my spending in check since there's a good chance I may be taking a huge cut in pay within the next few months. ...so I guess the tent will have to do for the time being.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very cool idea. i go to do that. was just thinking on how to put a splash guard on the front of trailer. but that will work way better.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took Rapey out for my first trip to Fernie. Parked in the ski hill parking lot. Super cozy, besides the couple spiders trying to come cuddle. Noticed some issues with the roof, so Monday I crawled up there and resealed one spot and capped the plumbing venting that was exposed due to the cap blowing off. I face planted going fast on a DH run, so my injuries left me with little motivation to work on it on Monday. Will putter away at it before I bring it to Fernie for electrical.

Question for you trailer types; Is there any product I can silicone right over the existing stuff? I'd prefer to not have to scrape it all off if possible. The previous owner used duradeck on the whole roof, actually a good idea.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should clean and scrape old stuff off. The proper product is Dicor Self-leveling sealant....NOT silicon.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should clean and scrape old stuff off. The proper product is Dicor Self-leveling sealant....NOT silicon.

Great thank you for the information. I will grab some of that and get to scraping! Cheers! :beer:

Top Bottom