16"x2.5x154 camo extreme VS stock XP 163

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone compared these 2 tracks side by side?

Would the deeper lugs make up for the track length?

Thanks in advance.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

I haven't tried the tracks side by side, but when moving, lug profile in deep snow should come out on top of shorter lug.

On the ground there is about 4" difference of track.

I've noticed a big difference with the camo 2.5/154 so much so that I think it would benefit from the same gearing as the 163.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I known it is a big improvent, but is it the same traction as the 163?

I know floatation might not be the same in low speeds, but I sure like the handling of the 154.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

The guys I ride with have two 154's one did the non-ported 2.5 and its way better than the stock 2.25. I have a 163 and would say it would be close he has higher track speed than mine did (with his 2.5) but I did the 2.5 so we can't compare it to the stock anymore. (Mine has been bent most of this year so we haven't had a 154-2.5 to 163-2.5 show down yet). I had to rent a M8 thur and traded sleds for a while and his 154-2.5 sure felt the same as my 163 used to.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cant speak for the 154, but two 163s one 2.25, one 2.5 with me on both sleds and the 2.5 was like the sled had a turbo.

Im totally pissed that I cant afford one?????:rant:

mxz800x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you have to change the drivers to fit the 2.5 track. looking to change track from stock 2.25 ported track to camo extreme 2.5

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would highly reccomend the drivers although not required factory oens are junk..same with WAHL.

anyway. i wish i had some data for you but i havent compared the 2. i can tell you that flotation is a big factor here. my best guestimate ( i realize your looking for real life info LOL) is that the camo extreme 2.5 ONLY IN 3.0 PITCH would be similar to the 163 stock cheese grater. however if in any seriously deep snow floatation may win over. either way you wont be dissapointed witht her performance in the switch. just please please do not buy the 2.86 pitch version...the 163 handles very well IMO but a big cost to extend.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my opinion..yes.

losing 1" of paddle width over the length of a 154/163/174 track is big surface area
the 2.86 spacing is not the issue

some will claim higher track speeds because it doesnt rub etcetc.

there is no rubbing on any of the 2.5" 16 wide paddle tracks ive installed if the alignment is correct.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my opinion..yes.

losing 1" of paddle width over the length of a 154/163/174 track is big surface area
the 2.86 spacing is not the issue

some will claim higher track speeds because it doesnt rub etcetc.

there is no rubbing on any of the 2.5" 16 wide paddle tracks ive installed if the alignment is correct.
I went with the 2.86 because of the clearance issue. my stock track was rubbing the sides of the lugs, but never when lifted to check it out. I think running the track so loose with the extroverts allows the track to walk side to side under lateral loads. but i agree with the loss of paddle surface area, added up it must be quite a bit compared to the 3.0 pitch.

pics338Medium.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its not huge but every bit counts right.

i had minor rubbing on my stock track aswell for the first few rides. once it found its groove it never got any worse LOL.

i do like the amount of clearance on the 2.86 but i just dont feel performance is effected with the 3.0.

still better than a 15 wide track though you get the floatation at least

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell is right. The 2.86 pitch is not worth it if your replacing the stock 2011track, the 3.00 pitch is the way to go. 2.86 pitch is not a full 2.5 inch lug and it's 2 3/8 and the paddle is narrower. The only gain your going to see with replacing the older XP tracks is the non porting. my buddie put a non ported camo extreme on the 154 and he loves it. I put a 2.86 pitch on my 09 163 and it's a definate improvement over the 09 ported track.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2.5/2.86 is a full 1/4 taller than my stock 2.25 was....

on the 3.0 vs 2.86 sure you lose a bit but its not on the full length of the track in reality as 1/2 your track isn't contacting the snow.

I was advised to not bother with the 3.0 pitch as there were complaints of vibrating tracks. So why bother spending money on new drivers when the 2.86 has been an awesome upgrade for minimal cost.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HUMM I measured mine numerous times on different lugs, because I thought I was seeing things, and was disapointed to see only 2 3/8.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
weird..teeroy can you take some measurements? also on your photo it looks like your outer paddles are tapered on the top of the lug from inside to out? i very well could be seing things LOL

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HUMM I measured mine numerous times on different lugs, because I thought I was seeing things, and was disapointed to see only 2 3/8.

I hear things always are smaller in the Cape.... :d

I'll have to get a photo of mine with the tape measure sometime this week. (since we are comparing sizes and all!) :beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
weird..teeroy can you take some measurements? also on your photo it looks like your outer paddles are tapered on the top of the lug from inside to out? i very well could be seing things LOL
well sonofagun....went out and measured, 2-3/8" is the measurement of the lug height. room for heat expansion maybe? lol....

here's a couple more pics of the lugs from the back, the lugs aren't tapered but do kinda look like it in the pic. I measured the inside edges, and the center paddles....all are 2-3/8"
pics339Medium.jpg

pics337Medium.jpg

drop the hammer

Reaction score
Nice to see some extra side clearance with that track. It will wildly outperform the stock track. A few of my buddies are running it and amazing results.

Top Bottom