14 pro reviews

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the motor has had minor changes, if you care so much and you must, because you seem to just troll the new posts waiting to jump in on any thread to do with polaris. We get it, you hate Polaris, you ride the greatest mountain specific sled on the market, good for you, to bad for us. Why on earth do you care about what Polaris is doing? Why not just google polaris to find out all about them. You are the classic Internet troll. Go back to doo-talk.

Seems like a legit answer. Also heard there has been no change.

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, not enough of them going down to be worth doing a recall or anything......that would be embarrassing.........

summit1000

Reaction score
I don't have a pro, but I have been on my friend's a couple of times. It carves amazingly and is extremely light. It made his previous sled (2008 Rev XP Summit) feel like crap. The Pro is very much a precision tool. The best way I can describe it, is it is more like skiing. It moves with you. My only complaint is that I would like it to have more power. It isn't that it is underpowered, it pulls hard. I'd just like it to pull harder. I am a little worriesome of the quick drive as well, but my friend hasn't had any issues. Be careful on the Pro. It'll take you everywhere. Not only the places you want to go, but everywhere that you don't want to go as well.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To answer the question - yes it is advisable to put a fix kit in all 800's. The engine has been slightly modified to prevent full on grenades like the Dragons suffered from. Many are installing fix kits from new but somewhere around 1500 miles is good to return power to normal.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my new 14 163 best sled I have owned coming from a 12 pro and a 09 D800.I have never had an engine related problem in any of them.My new pro is like a scalpe on the snow it just goes where I want it with minimal effort. I think the 800 on mine with an MBRP can pulls hard.Last weekend with 28" fresh I could have used more grunt but all other would as well in all the fresh.I did have a few minor issues but my great dealer M@M performance took care of me while I waited. I do check my Quick Drive belt after every ride.Buy and extended warranty if you plan to keep for 4 years.Put in gas and oil and enjoy the best technical mountain sled out there.Love mine puts a big shi t eating grin on my face every time I throw it over.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes sir! Or. Answer the question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

In 13 they thickened the cylinder skirt and in 14 has different rings.

Still has the thin skirt pistons that deform and could potentially drop a skirt but the numbers from 2011 till now significantly have dropped.

Changed the mapping too.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 2012, 2013, and 2014. I don't know exactly what they changed on the '14, but it is the rippiest of them all. Our 2012 has a PAR head and fix kit and it is still not as zippy as the 2014.

That said, I still feel like Polaris is lacking in the suspension arena and could use more horsepower. Right now, it performs well compared to other brands because its lightness and handling get it up and onto the snow and into the technical terrain... Kinda like it "cheats" to make up for the lack of power, if that makes sense. It would be nice to see these issues addressed in their upcoming anniversary year... If they got their chit together in the power plant department I think Polaris would be unbeatable.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 2012, 2013, and 2014. I don't know exactly what they changed on the '14, but it is the rippiest of them all. Our 2012 has a PAR head and fix kit and it is still not as zippy as the 2014.

That said, I still feel like Polaris is lacking in the suspension arena and could use more horsepower. Right now, it performs well compared to other brands because its lightness and handling get it up and onto the snow and into the technical terrain... Kinda like it "cheats" to make up for the lack of power, if that makes sense. It would be nice to see these issues addressed in their upcoming anniversary year... If they got their chit together in the power plant department I think Polaris would be unbeatable.

How's your hubby like the pros at Burants place? Seen that on FB and was jealous

lcoop

Reaction score
Love my pros. 13 has 3300k and 14 has 1300k. No blown motors,driveshafts or belt drive belts. Maybe I've been lucky... The only time then13 was in the shop was for the clamp install for the drive shaft. It's been nice because my 12 cat was in the shop every other weekend and I must have spent $1200 in belts. As for ski doo I think the xm's are pretty bomber. I just can't get used to the steering and how much harder they are to side hill than the pro. I don't really feel the pro is under powered. Could be the way it gets up on the snow. I am in no way brand loyal. I'll ride whatever sled i consider the best at the time. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Coming from riding my old beast i find the 14 Pro to be an excellent machine. No issues with mine yet had it up in McBride a couple weeks ago with 3 feet of fresh snow it handled great, felt responsive, and climbed everything i pointed it at. I don't think they are underpowered as much as just a different power curve to them.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How's your hubby like the pros at Burants place? Seen that on FB and was jealous

Haha! He actually had the balls to complain when I was driving him home from the airport... I said something about the shocks on my machine giving me grief while he was away. He replied with: "well, at least you didn't have to ride four new machines in 2 days." WTF?!? I almost drove off the road laughing!! Talk about first world problems.... Of course, he was just being an azzhat. No one can complain about an all expenses paid trip to Colorado and two blue bird days in Chris's playground :)

Hubby was like a kid in a candy store at Burandt's. He rode Chris' brand new carbon fibre turboed sled, a "regular" turboed Pro, an SLP stage 3 turbocharged unit, and a stock one. He said the carbon fibre sled was (of course) crazy light and nimble but, at about $40,000, waaaaaay out of the regular Joe's league. He only rode it for a minute or so on the trail cuz he was scared to break it! The SLP was good, but he had to keep it pinned to keep up with Burandt's turboed sled. For Jer, the one that really shone was the Boondocker turbo at 10lbs boost. He said it was amazing. The terrain was pretty steep with no set-up base and he said you could come to almost a dead stop and start again facing uphill... It would hop up on the snow and take off every time even with the stock track. According to Chris and Sahen, they have yet to blow a motor with the Boondocker setup once it is dialled into the av fuel and altitude they are running.. [ I am always skeptical when people say its "rip and ride" and "tuning free", but that is just me. Could be true, dunno ...] Anyway, it was the experience of a lifetime and his head barely fit thru the door when he came home ;)

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha! He actually had the balls to complain when I was driving him home from the airport... I said something about the shocks on my machine giving me grief while he was away. He replied with: "well, at least you didn't have to ride four new machines in 2 days." WTF?!? I almost drove off the road laughing!! Talk about first world problems.... Of course, he was just being an azzhat. No one can complain about an all expenses paid trip to Colorado and two blue bird days in Chris's playground :)

Hubby was like a kid in a candy store at Burandt's. He rode Chris' brand new carbon fibre turboed sled, a "regular" turboed Pro, an SLP stage 3 turbocharged unit, and a stock one. He said the carbon fibre sled was (of course) crazy light and nimble but, at about $40,000, waaaaaay out of the regular Joe's league. He only rode it for a minute or so on the trail cuz he was scared to break it! The SLP was good, but he had to keep it pinned to keep up with Burandt's turboed sled. For Jer, the one that really shone was the Boondocker turbo at 10lbs boost. He said it was amazing. The terrain was pretty steep with no set-up base and he said you could come to almost a dead stop and start again facing uphill... It would hop up on the snow and take off every time even with the stock track. According to Chris and Sahen, they have yet to blow a motor with the Boondocker setup once it is dialled into the av fuel and altitude they are running.. [ I am always skeptical when people say its "rip and ride" and "tuning free", but that is just me. Could be true, dunno ...] Anyway, it was the experience of a lifetime and his head barely fit thru the door when he came home ;)

That's good to here! One day I would like to go there.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How did he get an all expenses paid trip there?

He won the Polaris RMK King contest on the interweb. He had to write a 250 word blurb about why he likes Polaris and then they did an interview process to arrive at 12 finalists. The weekend will be an episode on SnowTrax Television :)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He won the Polaris RMK King contest on the interweb. He had to write a 250 word blurb about why he likes Polaris and then they did an interview process to arrive at 12 finalists. The weekend will be an episode on SnowTrax Television :)

jeeze, 250 words eh, i could probly describe it in one. how did he come up with 250? LOL kidding..

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 13 they thickened the cylinder skirt and in 14 has different rings.

Still has the thin skirt pistons that deform and could potentially drop a skirt but the numbers from 2011 till now significantly have dropped.

Changed the mapping too.

Yup. Some of the issues still from before but the changed mapping seems to have helped. Buddy just picked up a new one, they are a nice machine, don't listen to the fishermen telling stories about stuff they heard. What impressed me was the turning radius, the ride and the freakin' rooster tail. It will turn sharper than any sled out there I have found, the tweaks to the front end geometry really have made a difference in the ride. Can't comment too much on the full power issue because the one I rode couldn't go full tilt yet, still on the break-in cycle.

They have addressed things like the drive belt for the guys who are boosting or not giving them any break in cycle, its now about 35% stronger so should last even longer if you break it in properly, and still much lighter than a chaincase... :wink:
How they sit and that track sure tosses snow up though, hard to stay anywhere close behind one of these without getting pelted with snow. :)

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is for maxwell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 197
Top Bottom