13 pro not back shifting

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
600 miles. Rode renshaw today and on long climbs it was not back shifting at all just dragging the rpms down, anyone else have this. This is the first time I have been able to climb I have rode deep snow with no issues

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
600 miles. Rode renshaw today and on long climbs it was not back shifting at all just dragging the rpms down, anyone else have this. This is the first time I have been able to climb I have rode deep snow with no issues

It is very interesting that you say that because the one day I rode Mcbride and put in that ethanol fuel they have I switched it on my gauge from pre to ethanol and had the same problem, went to valemount and put Shell premium in and switched it back and it was fine again. hmmm

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seams odd fuel would affect it? But I run shell whenever I can including yesterday. Powder junkie what might I be looking for?

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seams odd fuel would affect it? But I run shell whenever I can including yesterday. Powder junkie what might I be looking for?

Quick and easy to pull helix so check spring and rollers for binding or broken . Odd at 600 miles sumthn would be wrong but u never know. Backshifting comes from secondary so start there

96sherm

Reaction score
Quick and easy to pull helix so check spring and rollers for binding or broken . Odd at 600 miles sumthn would be wrong but u never know. Backshifting comes from secondary so start there

I'm dealing with a similar issue. Backshifting works the same as upshifting...the primary and secondary need to be working together. In order for your secondary to backshift (belt to ride higher on the secondary), the primary has to release or let the belt ride lower. In my case, I seem to be able to pull rpm fine on flat packed snow, minimum slope/medium snow, but in deeper snow climbing it will fall to 6300rpm... I just put new rollers and spring in my secondary, now I'm about to tear into my primary. Seems the dealer tech's haven't a clue. They "rebuilt" my primary with one new roller but forgot to put the washer spacers back in. I'm suspecting that my issue is caused by a binding roller not allowing the weight to fully extend, or retract smoothly...

Note to self and others. This local dealer SUCKS!!! They have incompetent techs, NO parts system, and just lost their service writer who I feel was a very good asset to them.

Original Poster: If you figure out your problem, please post back...

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a good dealer here and will talk to them on Tuesday, I will keep you posted

Drifter1

Reaction score
Have had inconsistent rpm since day one. Put Mds whieghts in and my clutches run cooler sled pulls harder but rpm fluctuates more and worse.b Ack shift. 163 track all stock. Thinking I have a secondary binding or just needs a stiffer spring?

flygti32

Reaction score
I'm dealing with a similar issue. Backshifting works the same as upshifting...the primary and secondary need to be working together. In order for your secondary to backshift (belt to ride higher on the secondary), the primary has to release or let the belt ride lower. In my case, I seem to be able to pull rpm fine on flat packed snow, minimum slope/medium snow, but in deeper snow climbing it will fall to 6300rpm... I just put new rollers and spring in my secondary, now I'm about to tear into my primary. Seems the dealer tech's haven't a clue. They "rebuilt" my primary with one new roller but forgot to put the washer spacers back in. I'm suspecting that my issue is caused by a binding roller not allowing the weight to fully extend, or retract smoothly...

Note to self and others. This local dealer SUCKS!!! They have incompetent techs, NO parts system, and just lost their service writer who I feel was a very good asset to them.

Original Poster: If you figure out your problem, please post back...

so what part of sask are you in?

blackie205

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i have always noticed since i had my 11 that the backshift in the pro is a bit slow,thinking its time for a diff helix with a better back shift just not sure what one to use i have my sled almost dialed in weight wise with my mds weights witch helped a ton just need more backshift and im set anyone have any sug over stock i like the up shift now just not the backshift,maybe i need a tied and be done with it

snobyrd

Reaction score
tavis, mine is not back shifting either and it's not the secondary cause I put on a tied so it's gotta be a primary problem, I've been pulling my hair out over this, my rpms are all over the place, if sombody finds a fix please post it.

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
talked to dealer on tuesday. i am going to try some 62G wieghts and see what happens. he also said to have a really good look at the primary spring.
i am going to try a dayco belt next ride. jeff that sucks it did not help, it has been good for me up until mcbride... have to go back and do some testing :)

96sherm

Reaction score
talked to dealer on tuesday. i am going to try some 62G wieghts and see what happens. he also said to have a really good look at the primary spring.
i am going to try a dayco belt next ride. jeff that sucks it did not help, it has been good for me up until mcbride... have to go back and do some testing :)

What were you running for weights at Renshaw? A stock sled will run 62g weights in mountains and 68 in the flats/low elevations...

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for a stock 2013 163 64's are for 3-6 thousand feet.
i was hitting 8000 up past the cabin but climbing the rpm's would drop to 6400 or less then when i get back on the flat and hit again and right back up to 8000.

a stock what? 96sherm

snobyrd

Reaction score
tavis, I got an appointment at gaudins to spec out my tps, a inaccurate tps setting could cause this problem, the spec is .927 , there are times my engine will stall when putting into reverse and that's a tps issue, I was out with a brand new pro last week and his sled died every time it was put into reverse, so tav I'm just throwing it out there, tinkerjohnson on sw is having the same issues as well, we have collectively tried every clutching combo and getting same back shifting results.

96sherm

Reaction score
for a stock 2013 163 64's are for 3-6 thousand feet.
i was hitting 8000 up past the cabin but climbing the rpm's would drop to 6400 or less then when i get back on the flat and hit again and right back up to 8000.

a stock what? 96sherm

Weird...this is exactly what my sled was doing... I hope you get it figured. I have my primary fixed now, but there isn't enough snow or slope to test it in the same scenario as the mountains... If its the TPS, I'd sure like to get it looked at before next wednesday. I don't have any idle issues, or reverse issues, but have the same climbing in snow low rpm issue...

By stock sled, I was refering to my Assault scenario with the 62/68g weight...

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird...this is exactly what my sled was doing... I hope you get it figured. I have my primary fixed now, but there isn't enough snow or slope to test it in the same scenario as the mountains... If its the TPS, I'd sure like to get it looked at before next wednesday. I don't have any idle issues, or reverse issues, but have the same climbing in snow low rpm issue...

By stock sled, I was refering to my Assault scenario with the 62/68g weight...

Ya just giving you a hard time.
Jeff mine has never stalled but if 62's don't do it that will be next.
I will not get to ride for five days yet

snobyrd

Reaction score
Just got er back from the vet, tps needed adjusting, so did exaust temp circuit need adjusting, I also had a exaust valve solenoid circuit open fault, I didn't talk with the veterinarian as he was gone home, but I hope this will solve everything. I'll keep ye all posted...

Last edited:
Top Bottom