dragn

Reaction score
ya so this isnt a post for help but more of a post to help someone understand. My girlfriend owns a 600 mxz with a 121 inch track. The thing is she doesnt believe me that its going to be a pain in the a$$ if she brings it out with me and the guys to golden, its fine for tail riding and maybe some powder but in my opinion a 121 is to short and the weight isn't spread around enough and we are going to be stuck digging her out all the time. If im wrong please say so but she wont believe me so i thought some comments or videos would get it through to her

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much lug and how big is your girlfriend? Unless she is about the same size as a younger kid it will be a stuck fest whenever she gets off the trails.

PJ440x

Reaction score
A Buddy of mine and his misses just road with us at Quest in Sicamous and they were driving 2 Yamaha Phazer's. One was a newer ~2008 mtn. Phazer and the other was a ~1989 short track 121. They didn't really get stuck too much only because they didn't go far from the cabin. That 121 was a little fun to try ch!t on but I wouldn't recommend a 121 in the mountains at this time of year. It really limits where the group is going to go when a 121 track is in the group!!! Ya know what I mean??? :nono:

PJ440x

Reaction score
A Buddy of mine and his misses just road with us at Quest in Sicamous and they were driving 2 Yamaha Phazer's. One was a newer ~2008 mtn. Phazer and the other was a ~1989 short track 121. They didn't really get stuck too much only because they didn't go far from the cabin. That 121 was a little fun to try ch!t on but I wouldn't recommend a 121 in the mountains at this time of year. It really limits where the group is going to go when a 121 track is in the group!!! Ya know what I mean??? :nono:

And the 121 Phazer had a 0.9 inch lug.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have watched guys on 121's who will ride circles around guys on long tracks, so many things to consider. If you are just going exploring, which is all there is to do right now with the lack of fresh snow, she will be fine. If you are a chute climber then.............or if you do not want her to tag along then...

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's pretty short and I'll bet it's only running an 1.25" lug too. You'd get stuck more often that's for sure. If she really wanted to go up to the mountains she should look at maybe renting a 153". The trip would be more enjoyable for her and yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so quit bein so ignorant and rent her a mtn sled while your there or borrow one for her. you make it sound more like you dont want the inconvenience of having her there and having to dig her out more than anything. If she doesn't know a 121 will be difficult then I'm guessing she's never been to the mountains before. No matter what you put her on she's going to be getting stuck and you're going to have to rescue her. If your not gonna have a good attitude about that and be supportive of her regardless if shes stuck 3x all day or 3x in 10', then do both of you a favor and leave her home. We're women, we need patience, support, and learn differently than men. We think about the actual physical motions more, what we have to do as we ride, need it broken down technically and if possible shown to us, sometimes over and over and sometimes only once. Not saying this is all women but it's a good majority of us.

StewartsDragon

Reaction score
Ya rent and leave it at home, its always fun to bring the ladies out sledding. As long as its a group decision. hahaha

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 121 has no place in the mountains until spring riding conditions. Do your RIDING BUDDIES a favor and leave her home.

nor do half the riders I see out here! If you DO want her to tag along, then that is why the trail is groomed to the top, you should see some of the POS's I see sledding around here, if you DO NOT want her to go, then man up and tell her that.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a few guys who wouldn't mind taking her along and if she gets stuck they will dig her out. Sounds more like an excuse to leave her home.

Like mentioned you can ride that sled to the cabin easy enough and ride it on hard packed but get it off the beaten path and she is going to have to keep it pinned.

Pictures of your girlfriend might help them decide if its worth leaving her home. :D

sent from my HTC phone cause I have nothing better to do

muddmadness

Reaction score
take her to silent pass and have a good time. she will get in there fairly easily or swap for a couple narrow climbs but i wouldnt be worried about it. Ive seen guys doubling up to the cabin on old skandics up there.

dragn

Reaction score
so quit bein so ignorant and rent her a mtn sled while your there or borrow one for her. you make it sound more like you dont want the inconvenience of having her there and having to dig her out more than anything. If she doesn't know a 121 will be difficult then I'm guessing she's never been to the mountains before. No matter what you put her on she's going to be getting stuck and you're going to have to rescue her. If your not gonna have a good attitude about that and be supportive of her regardless if shes stuck 3x all day or 3x in 10', then do both of you a favor and leave her home. We're women, we need patience, support, and learn differently than men. We think about the actual physical motions more, what we have to do as we ride, need it broken down technically and if possible shown to us, sometimes over and over and sometimes only once. Not saying this is all women but it's a good majority of us.

ok ok i aint against her comming the big thing is i no she wont like it as when we are trial riding she sits and pouts when we play in the snow shee is all about fast (which she is good at and more comforable with it then i am) i just hate when she gets out there and hates it. But ya renting one never thought about that i never went anywhere where u could rent one ill have to check it out as ill bet she will be happy with that any idea how much it will cost to rent one

dragn

Reaction score
Wow u guys/girls make me sound like as ass i love having her out there its so much fun having someone there thats really close and brag about. And i think the rent thing will be the best or if there are more trails that u guys no that a short track should make that will help as im pretty much new to mountains as well the most ive done is in the camp 15 are and well thats not really mountains

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LMAO at you guys saying 121's don't belong in the mountains!!!!! Usually its easy to tell the guys who started sledding less than 10 yrs ago by that statement.....20 years back 136" was a super long track, it blew your mind when they came out with it on the SKS and then we went to 141's, 144's, 151's, 156's, etc etc. Now peeps think 153" is the new "beginner" length.... LOL Saw a 121" x 2" MXZ in Gorman a few years back

to the original poster: if you like this girl then you should help her learn. If not, then book a separate hotel room for her and the first time she gets stuck just ride off and all your problems are solved except for the truck ride back to the hotel will be pretty quiet.

Is her sled a 121" 3/4" lug or 1.5" lug? Totally depends on how your G/F is planning on riding also. If she is aggressive and wants to rip the steep and deep then I suspect the track will not be enough. If she is mellow and wants to ride to the cabin and venture off the trail a little bit in the meadow, it will likely be fine. With a short track she might have to be a little more aggressive with the throttle in certain spots. You can always let her ride your sled in the tough spots and then swap back when its appropriate (yes I know I just broke the "Bro Code") by suggesting you let someone else ride your sled..... Snow conditions will also help dictate how far she will get but generally things aren't that great this year, if there has been no fresh before you go, then again, she will probably be ok. If they get 4' of new stuff the day before your trip then you are screwed, go rent her a sled.

She can minimize how much she gets stuck by simply following a few simple tricks:

1) if she follows you off trail then make sure someone cuts her a trail to follow (don't be a hero and take her through the tightest trees, just give her a nice trail to follow).
2) don't stop pointing uphill, always stop pointed downhill or on a flat angle (if at all possible) and if the snow is deeper or you can't stop facing downhill then make a circle, come back around and stop on your own tracks. its amazing how much different just a simple direction change will make getting started again. This also gives her a "runway" to get started again if you are in deeper snow (instead of trying to get going from a dead standstill pushing all the snow ahead of her).
3) If she get's stuck...........DON'T PIN IT! If she is going uphill (any hill not just a steep one), as soon as she realizes her forward momentum is not enough to make the top or even continue forward, try and turn around or at least get the sled pointed across the hill in any direction. Don't gas it and spin the track and dig a big hole under the sled, just stop. Drag the front around or until level and then give a tug on the skis and the sled will pop right out in 75% of the cases. If she does get stuck and there is enough room, drive a sled past her and in front of her sled to pack a trail and pull her out onto. The key is to learn to turn out before you get stuck, its easier to take 4 pokes at a hill than to get stuck twice.

She will likely get stuck but that's part of the learning curve, show her some tips and be patience, and clearly explain these things above and it will lessen the times she does get stuck. If you guys take her along, give her a good path to follow and she is not trying to take her 121" up every big hill in 3 feet of fresh on her own line, she will probably be OK and not get stuck too much, meaning you get to ride more, instead of digging her out all day. If you help her, it will help you in the long run. We all started somewhere and we all get stuck, but if you can make it work you gain a new riding partner, which means you might be able to ride another weekend when no one else is available.

Make sure you get her a beacon, shovel and probe and show her how to use them at least, ideally she should take avy training if she is going to be riding in the mountains. Above all else: Leave the negative attitude at home and have fun!

edit - just saw your post as I was posting. PM me if you have questions about Golden.

Last edited:

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at Golden (Quartz) last weekend and I woudnt hesitate to take a 121 up there. They had groomed both ways past the cabin, and especially with the conditions now I think a 121 would be fine.

But then again I am one of these guys that still lends my 136 to friends to come to the hills! OMG a 136 thats too short! blah! lots of fun to be had!

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"to the original poster: if you like this girl then you should help her learn. If not, then book a separate hotel room for her and the first time she gets stuck just ride off and all your problems are solved except for the truck ride back to the hotel will be pretty quiet."

well done. I was looking for the right words, but you nailed it.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode silent pass with my 01 800 mxz with 121 track .75 paddle no problem could not high mark real high rode circle around some long tracks .I rode that same sled in Mcbride shot up the fireline no problem the only issue was going down some slops became a little tense . Funny's story that i have was i was following a couple in Lucille they were shown us great place to ride when there 163" got stuck half way up a slope so i went up to help so i shot up pass the stuck sled and park up on top and walk back down to help and the young lady pop up and said me ''you made me look like ch!t with that 121" how do you do it my comment was track speed with a big smile on my face .Now I up grade it with a 1.75 " 121'' and my son runs it now and just ripping the hills up

dragn

Reaction score
LMAO at you guys saying 121's don't belong in the mountains!!!!! Usually its easy to tell the guys who started sledding less than 10 yrs ago by that statement.....20 years back 136" was a super long track, it blew your mind when they came out with it on the SKS and then we went to 141's, 144's, 151's, 156's, etc etc. Now peeps think 153" is the new "beginner" length.... LOL Saw a 121" x 2" MXZ in Gorman a few years back

to the original poster: if you like this girl then you should help her learn. If not, then book a separate hotel room for her and the first time she gets stuck just ride off and all your problems are solved except for the truck ride back to the hotel will be pretty quiet.

Is her sled a 121" 3/4" lug or 1.5" lug? Totally depends on how your G/F is planning on riding also. If she is aggressive and wants to rip the steep and deep then I suspect the track will not be enough. If she is mellow and wants to ride to the cabin and venture off the trail a little bit in the meadow, it will likely be fine. With a short track she might have to be a little more aggressive with the throttle in certain spots. You can always let her ride your sled in the tough spots and then swap back when its appropriate (yes I know I just broke the "Bro Code") by suggesting you let someone else ride your sled..... Snow conditions will also help dictate how far she will get but generally things aren't that great this year, if there has been no fresh before you go, then again, she will probably be ok. If they get 4' of new stuff the day before your trip then you are screwed, go rent her a sled.

She can minimize how much she gets stuck by simply following a few simple tricks:

1) if she follows you off trail then make sure someone cuts her a trail to follow (don't be a hero and take her through the tightest trees, just give her a nice trail to follow).
2) don't stop pointing uphill, always stop pointed downhill or on a flat angle (if at all possible) and if the snow is deeper or you can't stop facing downhill then make a circle, come back around and stop on your own tracks. its amazing how much different just a simple direction change will make getting started again. This also gives her a "runway" to get started again if you are in deeper snow (instead of trying to get going from a dead standstill pushing all the snow ahead of her).
3) If she get's stuck...........DON'T PIN IT! If she is going uphill (any hill not just a steep one), as soon as she realizes her forward momentum is not enough to make the top or even continue forward, try and turn around or at least get the sled pointed across the hill in any direction. Don't gas it and spin the track and dig a big hole under the sled, just stop. Drag the front around or until level and then give a tug on the skis and the sled will pop right out in 75% of the cases. If she does get stuck and there is enough room, drive a sled past her and in front of her sled to pack a trail and pull her out onto. The key is to learn to turn out before you get stuck, its easier to take 4 pokes at a hill than to get stuck twice.

She will likely get stuck but that's part of the learning curve, show her some tips and be patience, and clearly explain these things above and it will lessen the times she does get stuck. If you guys take her along, give her a good path to follow and she is not trying to take her 121" up every big hill in 3 feet of fresh on her own line, she will probably be OK and not get stuck too much, meaning you get to ride more, instead of digging her out all day. If you help her, it will help you in the long run. We all started somewhere and we all get stuck, but if you can make it work you gain a new riding partner, which means you might be able to ride another weekend when no one else is available.

Make sure you get her a beacon, shovel and probe and show her how to use them at least, ideally she should take avy training if she is going to be riding in the mountains. Above all else: Leave the negative attitude at home and have fun!

edit - just saw your post as I was posting. PM me if you have questions about Golden.

See guys this is what i needed i wanted her to come and asked for help (maybe not with the best words) but out of all of you this guy gave me the best answer and a good pointers. I never wanted to ditch her or leave her frick ive dated her for a year and a half so ya y would i do it now. And my plan was to incourage her to by somthing longer if everyone said the 121 was too short.

Top Bottom