1000xmr vs 650xmr vs 800 rene

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which is a better quad? Looking at reliability, handling, I know the 1000 is a monster, but they seem to have lots of mechanical/electrical issues? Is the 650 more reliable? Or should I get a renegade 800 and get tires and snorks?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am at the end of season 2 on my Renny 1000...no issues. 30" rubber and snorkels since day 1. Grease it every ride and change fluids 2 times per season and ride 'er. Looove the Renny in the mud.

Buddy has a 1000XMR and it is a beast, but he really never put a bunch of miles on it this summer so I'm not sure about issues. I've always been leery of the air suspension....

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you have to clutch for the 30" tires? What about the axles? Did you do a rad relocate? Price wise I'm looking at 13k for a 2013 xmr 1000 with 78km, 12k for 2014 rene 800, or 12,400 for 2014 650 xmr.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda depends on what kind of riding you want to do. I've seen Dave jump of some creek banks that I second guessed jumping my long azz XMR off. It also seemed I could drive out/into some serious drops without the quad trying to flip and kill me, like a Renny would. A 650 would be right in the middle and all three have tons of power.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you have to clutch for the 30" tires? What about the axles? Did you do a rad relocate? Price wise I'm looking at 13k for a 2013 xmr 1000 with 78km, 12k for 2014 rene 800, or 12,400 for 2014 650 xmr.

I ran a Dalton clutch kit for a couple rides and it was fine. I am a clutching freak though, so now I have a QSC primary and a STM secondary.
Stock axles, haven't broke one yet.
No rad relocate....I put a screen on front of the rad, wash in car wash after every weekend and have never seen the temp light.
I had to snorkel it as well...

I like the big power....if you are going to be mudding all the time, get the XMR 1000, if 50/50 with trails I'd go with the Renny. The 650 will be a good machine, but won't be as good as either of the other two....

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go Rene I love mine owned an outlander as well Rene is much more fun

Sent from my S4

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife had a renegade and I have riden a few others was going to get a xxc. Ended up with a max xt instead. Put 28" silverbacks in it and a rad relocate. I love the machine. I made the right choice. Works way better in the hills and at the end of the day I am not beat up and tired. The renegade I have to work to ride it and stay planted. The max I don't. The only issue I have with it over the Rene and it has only happened once is the quad won't wheelie. So if you have to jump a water crossing and lift the front end you can't. I just dropped in and winched out easily. I would look at doing the same thing I did instead of a xmr or get the xmr over the rene

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which is a better quad? Looking at reliability, handling, I know the 1000 is a monster, but they seem to have lots of mechanical/electrical issues? Is the 650 more reliable? Or should I get a renegade 800 and get tires and snorks?
The 1000 will have no more or less issues than the other quads you mentioned. Judging by your username you enjoy a good mud ride lol, I would say get the 1000xmr. I am not so sure about the air ride system but they are built for mud...

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well..I took a xmr 1000 for a quick test drive, and yup, I can't do the 650, not enough power compared to 1000. I like the Rene idea but don't won't to dump another 4 k plus to get it ready for the mud, so I'm kind of leaning towards the 1000xmr

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the air ride system a problem on these units

They are if they try to adjust when under water. Buddy rolled his in deep hole and the compressor kicked in while it was under water. Wrecked a bunch of stuff.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are if they try to adjust when under water. Buddy rolled his in deep hole and the compressor kicked in while it was under water. Wrecked a bunch of stuff.
Never heard of that one, but doesn't sound very good haha. The most common complaints I have seen is that the compressor itself sucks and won't even fill up a tire like they claimed it would, the air system gets water in it, and that above a certain speed it stiffens the suspension up and is uncomfortable. Get-torqed in edmonton sells a "speedbox" that tricks your speedo so that the air shocks don't get stiffer while you are riding, if that makes sense. It makes the quad think you are going slower than you actually are, I have one on my quad so I could get past the speed limiter for whatever friggin reason haha.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It actually softens the suspension, drops it to level 2 after 30mph or whatever. Hasn't been a problem for me yet. My XMR will only do 103 KMH when the ECU says the funs over, more than fast enough for 30" backs IMO.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It actually softens the suspension, drops it to level 2 after 30mph or whatever. Hasn't been a problem for me yet. My XMR will only do 103 KMH when the ECU says the funs over, more than fast enough for 30" backs IMO.
Ahh ok, my bad. And yes, when the quad is doing 140+km/h, should really be wearing some leathers or something haha.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like another reason to get a max instead of the xmr. I think the hand guards are better on the max too.

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear what your saying real wild, but the cost of turning the max into a mudder is quite costly. Tires, clutching, snorks, rad relocate, winch, bumpers, etc. you would be looking at 20k ish?

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear what your saying real wild, but the cost of turning the max into a mudder is quite costly. Tires, clutching, snorks, rad relocate, winch, bumpers, etc. you would be looking at 20k ish?
Personally I would go with the max...The XT comes with the bumpers and winch. There's always tires for sale on kijiji, clutching is fairly cheap and you can buy the xmr snorkels for about $350, can't remember what the rad relocates are worth but there are lots of options. At the end of the day the ride would be a lot nicer.

Edit: I even have a clutch kit for a 1000 sitting in my toolbox, brand new and don't need it!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The clutch kit is useless. I don't have one nor need one. Buddy installed one in his. Basically the same quad and said it was a waste of money. The factory rad relocate was under 300. The tires and rims will cost you around 1000 depending on what you go with and can sell the take offs to recover some of that. Snorkel is 100 bucks for the factory one. Comes with winch and bumpers as mentioned. Plus it comes with the rear seat. To add the rear seat you are looking at 1200 bucks. If you don't want it you can also sell it and recover some money. It is a cheaper and better set up then the xmr IMO. I do like the xmr but think the max xt is the way to go.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
32611_10151380337821806_1455222016_n.jpg

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turple's in Red Deer told me it was $400 for the relocate.
Factory clutching is a waste of money. Better to go with an aftermatket setup. And like previously mentioned the XT comes with all the same stuff except for the foot steps I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Top Bottom