1 piston ring, or 2?

roberto_235

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what the difference is between having 1 piston ring or 2? if im rebuilding my top end, should i look at having a 2 ring piston? is there any mechanical advantage having 2 rings? any solid feedback would be great! Cheers!!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 rings should last longer, the piston won't rock as much. And they say that the piston won't heat soak as much cause the 2 rings transfer more heat. If your rebuilding I defiantly put in the 2 rings.

finndoo

Reaction score
Go to a website called "rktek". He has a good writeup on the benefits of dual ring pistons. A new option is the new thicker BRP single ring pistons that replace the older 800r pistons. I think when I do mine next summer i will use the RKtek pistons, much less $ then BRP wants.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Web site and info on the difference.

Hey guys, just wondering what the difference is between having 1 piston ring or 2? if im rebuilding my top end, should i look at having a 2 ring piston? is there any mechanical advantage having 2 rings? any solid feedback would be great! Cheers!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also mcb performance has 2 ring pistons too...

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've been using MCB dual rings for a few years now. have them in stock 800's and 860 big bores. no issues seen yet, they also come ceramic caoted as well. $350 for the 800R kit and comes with all top end gaskets.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just rebuilt my engine - Went with MCB - so far so good !

Adren-junkie

Reaction score
Is everyone that is using MCB's using the metal base gasket that comes with the kit? Does anyone know how thick it is?

Adren-junkie

Reaction score
I got the kit, it comes with all top end gaskets but as I said the base is metal. I've never seen that before and don't think I will use it.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I myself am not sold on these "theories" of dual ring pistons. Kelsey has a very biased opinion on his theories... it sells his product well. I have had the original pistons in my 08 and have 2000 miles. It's close to a freshening, but the compression is 150 and 140 still.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put MCB dual rings in at the beginning of the year to freshen things up. I do notice that the sled runs alot more consistent now. Doesnt fade after multiple pulls. Not sure why though. I dont buy into the whole heat being transferred through the piston ring thing........but I dont know that much.

Adren-junkie

Reaction score
I put MCB dual rings in at the beginning of the year to freshen things up. I do notice that the sled runs alot more consistent now. Doesnt fade after multiple pulls. Not sure why though. I dont buy into the whole heat being transferred through the piston ring thing........but I dont know that much.

So did you use a metal base gasket or a ski-doo one?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So did you use a metal base gasket or a ski-doo one?

I used the metal one that came with the kit. It seems to be working fine. I checked the thickness with a caliper and it was the same as the stock spec. Definitely want to check how many holes your stock one is though because they do vary.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I myself am not sold on these "theories" of dual ring pistons. Kelsey has a very biased opinion on his theories... it sells his product well. I have had the original pistons in my 08 and have 2000 miles. It's close to a freshening, but the compression is 150 and 140 still.
I agree, I run trygstads wide ring with zero problems.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I put the MCB kit in my XP and the Rev. My XP seems to be the same. Ii is alot more consistant then it was with the stock pistons. So far I am happy with them.

Cuso you are getting close to have a pin failure with that many miles seen it on alot of stock Doo piston where the retaining pin pushes in.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the MCB kit and like it! It has out lasted my stock ones by 700km so far!

Adren-junkie

Reaction score
Not mine!! I had 2000 miles(750 stock, 1250 with RKTek 13.5:1 head), 300 with mcb pistons with exactly the same setup IMG_0790.jpg IMG_0789.jpg Not sure if something else went wrong yet but I will Not be running them again

Top Bottom