09 XP - Help Needed

KG1

Reaction score
Guys,

I need some help, pretty frustrated with my 09 XP.

Sled seems okay on the flats when you're just ripping around. When I get on a hill, or on a trail where I've got it wide open for a bit, the sled seems to hold back on the RPM's - what I can't determine is if it's fuel or electronics.

Once you let off on the throttle and turn it around on the hill it runs okay after about half a minute until you give the same hill a try. It makes me thing either it's not getting full fuel or something electronic. Someone mentioned a "safe mode" not sure. Also the gauges aren't working and I'm getting the communication error - not sure if this is linked or not. I took the gauges off to look at the sled and it was after that, that they stopped working.

I cleaned the carbs, checked the RAVE, checked the fuel pick up in the tank and it was in the right position.

I'm thinking either Fuel pump or relays although those are just guesses.

Anyone who can help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
possibly rave solenoid, or maybe worn clutch components. are you hitting proper rpm at anytime, or does it only do it when you are hillclimbing and clutch needs to backshift?

KG1

Reaction score
It's definitely not the tether - It's been doing this for 2 weeks and I've had it in and out of the shop.
Ya I don't believe it's the clutches as it works great sometimes and not others.

When it happens the engine usually gets "knocked back" on RPM, so you're at full rpm when it happens.

Any other ideas?

Justin

Reaction score
Check the clear hose that goes from the DPM down to the carbs, it may be off or loose and causing it to go rich at altitude. Ask me how i know!
Mine was off and it ran great on the trail up but as soon as I tried climbing it would bog and almost die, I would turn it back down hill and it ran perfect.
Worth checking into..

KG1

Reaction score
Clutches are fine. Just went through them again - to double check....
The communication error is on all the time. It's constant.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you start having this issue before the comm error warning or did they both begin at the same time? Have you checked all of your fuses? Might be something that simple. Almost seems like a computer issue, or as mentioned above DPM

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Water in your fuel??

Drain the float bowls and see if that helps for a while.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like most of your problems started after you where monkeying around behind carb area. start checking from there,

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutching, DPM, and also if you have checked your raves and their good, put some safety wire around the tube connecting at the valve, it can leak under vacuum and cause the valve not to open fully.

snowtractor

Reaction score
I had this problem with my 08 after i played around with the guages seem that when i plugged them back in i bent over a pin and would make connecting i hope this helps

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutches are fine. Just went through them again - to double check....
The communication error is on all the time. It's constant.

pull your guage cluster back out and make sure you did not bent one of those tiny little pins in the guage cluster, it happenend once to me on a previous sled.

Top Bottom