08 xp 163 over reving

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 08 xp 163 i just purchased. when on hard pack on clicker 1 when i gun it it appears to hit rev limiter every time, 8600-8700rpm, when in mountains on clicker 3 it pulls 8200 consistentley when pulling. pulled primary apart and all looks good, and has 1" weights. what can i do to bring the rpm's down on hard pack?

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 08 xp 163 i just purchased. when on hard pack on clicker 1 when i gun it it appears to hit rev limiter every time, 8600-8700rpm, when in mountains on clicker 3 it pulls 8200 consistentley when pulling. pulled primary apart and all looks good, and has 1" weights. what can i do to bring the rpm's down on hard pack?

is it new or just new to you?
I don't know what you mean by 1" weights, but springs might be a little bagged, clutches need cleaning and service, or you need to add a little more pin weight in the primary. Check to see if the pins on the end of the levers are hollow with small pins in them, and whatever you have in there, just add another small pin or take the small pin out and add the next size.
Do not make too much of a change all at once. if the clutches are really dirty and stickey, or the springs are bagged out, do not add pin weight untill you see how it is after you clean and change the springs.
8200 is a little high if the sled is bone stock with no can or Y pipe

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the sled is new to me. it there any way to test springs? is the pin the piece that is threaded with a hex head and 1" long inside the roller? the sled has a can, and nothing was sticking as far as i can tell.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 154 xp, and can verify that 8150-8200 is FINE (Digital tach). The stock ramps in the 08's required MAJOR clicker changes for elevation, so most guys have to load up the weight, so clicker 1 works at home, and clicker 5 or 6 works in the mountains. The proper fix for this is to get the ramps from a 2009 or 2010 (Skidoo 441 Ramps), or getting Dynamo Joe's mountain ramps (Very similar to the 441, but better and cheaper). While you are at it, get DJ's clutch kit (primary spring, pin weight kit, secondary helix), and you will thank yourself on the next mountain trip (climbing capability and heat reduction). As well, make sure your primary arms aren't sticky and everything is clean in the clutch. Just my 2cents.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the sled is new to me. it there any way to test springs? is the pin the piece that is threaded with a hex head and 1" long inside the roller? the sled has a can, and nothing was sticking as far as i can tell.

With a can, 8150 to 8200 is fine, bone stock, 8000 is all you want. You can rev higher but you are out of your power band.
Yes, the pins are as you described, and sounds like you have the right amount of pin weight, but if you want to load it up a little more for the hard pack, add one more small pin to each lever.
You can get into changing a bunch of clutching, but that is something else and not what you are asking, I think.

You can jet that sled down 2 sizes from stock jetting and really wake it up as well. There are some other cheaper things you can do if you want, Change the rollers to oversize rollers but you might have to take 1/2 of your pin weight out if you do that.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost all of them needed some extra weight added to the pins stock pins in order to run the lower elevations (2to3000ft), and would still work with clicker adjustments in our hi-altitudes (up to 10,000ft)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With a can, 8150 to 8200 is fine, bone stock, 8000 is all you want. You can rev higher but you are out of your power band.
Yes, the pins are as you described, and sounds like you have the right amount of pin weight, but if you want to load it up a little more for the hard pack, add one more small pin to each lever.
You can get into changing a bunch of clutching, but that is something else and not what you are asking, I think.

You can jet that sled down 2 sizes from stock jetting and really wake it up as well. There are some other cheaper things you can do if you want, Change the rollers to oversize rollers but you might have to take 1/2 of your pin weight out if you do that.

may be correct rpms but skidoo tachs are usually +/- 200 rpm high, thus 8200 to 8300. pertains to the xp's.

Top Bottom