07 summit burning belts

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my sled has burned 3 belts in the last 700miles, 2 of them wore flat on the inside and the other one blew apart. What do I gotta do to fix this, I'll add it to my list:beer::beer::d

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my sled has burned 3 belts in the last 700miles, 2 of them wore flat on the inside and the other one blew apart. What do I gotta do to fix this, I'll add it to my list:beer::beer::d

ait till winter to ride, under hood heat is killer on belts in the summer:d:d

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pm dooryder he has some secondary floats..... that should clean that up for ya

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a float kit also for sale if you want one.

but still not the solution. pick up a service manual and align your clutches.

once aligned then install the floating kit and a screen kit. make sure and use a good brp belt. you might have the wrong shims behind your clutch. or your engine torque arm could be misadjusted or worn out.

i would also inspect and clean your clutches over the summer, worn out parts and springs can cause the belt to slip from not enough clamp and wear out faster

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
specialty sleds replaced the tunnel and bulkhead and its been like this since. I only rode it 20-50miles before I crashed so I dont know what it was like before that the sled has 1400miles now. I'm sold on the screen kit but should I bring it back to specailty or go somewhere else I dont know how to setup a clutch. also I've been useing brp belts and I cleaned clutches after the frist blow-out and that made no difference. What about a different clutch??I dono it gets frustrating at 180 a belt!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
diff clutch wont change anything. are there any black spots on your clutch faces?

at 1400miles its time to replace some springs forsure. but if its been doing it since new thennn that isnt the problem. had to be an alignment issue with the new tunnel and bulkhead

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would expect that it's an alignment issue, either take it back to specialty and get them to check it. If they don't want to do anything take it to mountain magic. The other thing to check is your gearing if it's a 151 or more you should be 19/45.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try a harder compound belt. Not sure what you are using now but you could try a harder one. Not sure why everyone that roasts a Doo belt, keeps going to the dealership to get ripped off buying $180 belts when there are far cheaper options out there. If its only going to last 300 miles, then why spend over double the $$$?

First do what everyone says and align the clutches though. You don't need to take it to a shop, buy a clutch alignment tool. Its way cheaper and you can use it over and over and over and over. I'm always pulling motors in and out and I use my alignment tool all the time. I would be broke if I had to take it to the shop for alignment every time. Then you know the work is done correctly as well.

I have 3 seasons on my current belt (not a junk Doo belt either).

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
clutches look good but I've been thinking it's a aligment issue also. so New springs,vent kit, check aligment and I should be good to go?? also my sled is a 800 144 I don't know what gearing should be. I had some pics but site wont let me upload them. Ill bring it back to specialtys they wer good to me before.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your gearing should be good just bring it back to specialtiy

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one at a time I gess....

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 23

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as u can see I don't have much room to work even if I wanted to do it myself wich I dont

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 34

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an 07 XRS and it use to blow belts every 100km. So I went to a polaris primary and team secondary and floated the secondary. Now i'm getting at least 1500km to a belt. Before I changed clutches I tried a Carlisle ultimaxXS 3 and it lasted twice as long as the doo belts and there is a one year warrenty on them. Did you have skidoo do all the updates to your doo clutches?

CASEY'S CAMERA 086.jpg

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alignment Alignment Alignment, that's all there is too it. Float that secondary and you will be good, just make sure it can align itself with the allowed float (the clutch doesn't move all the way to one side or another, you can add washers to the end of the float spacer to get more float out). After floating my secondary on my 07 XRS i easily get over 1200km's on a 166 Doo belt, and those are hard mountain riding km's with none stop climbs. Getting alignment bang on is good without a float but it will not be perfect under heavy loads. When the motor torques it twists and the alignment is out, with a float your clutches will always be in alignment. Venting on ANY REV is a good idea.

Have fun

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the sled was supposed to have the updates but I crashed it right after I bought it. I know it's a alingment issue due to my total rebuild, when I look at the clutches the secondary seems to be in more than the primary and belts are wearing flat on one side. I'm gonna take it back to specilty sleds in sept. and see if they can fix me up.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah the motor should be aligned a about 2mm offset so when it torques under load it is back in alignment or close to at least. thats why installing a floater isnt going to completely solve your issue. if the motor isnt offset with the torque arm even with the spacer it will still not be in a straight line

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info I apreaicate u guys takeing the time to tell me, Maby I'll buy u guys a :beer: in valemount this winter.:d:beer::d

Top Bottom