07 Grizzly 700 issue.. NEED HELP !!

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 07 Griz 700 SE. It has a rebuilt motor and new clutch, not sure if it is the primary or secondary, forgot to ask. Anyways, my problem is, when I put it in to high, low or reverse, I cant seem to get it to move without reving it quite high. In reverse, it seems worse, like the rev limiter is on. Tried holding in the override button, no change. Almost like its cutting out. In forward, low seems better than high, but still cant get any speed.

I have put a new belt on, thinking it may be the issue, no change. The previous owner did say it was "lagging" and would need the clutch set, being new. While we were changing the belt, we looked around a bit, but we dont know anything about clutches.

So any advice?? What to look for? Anyone willing to lend a hand, and have a look? Cold beers are available :cool::cool::cool:.

Would love to go riding, but dont want to use it until this is figured out. Thanks In Advance..

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like its all in the clutching to me, i'd confirm you have the right belt first then start the teardown of clutches, maybe pursue the previous owner and see what he knows about what was replaced, swapped out etc. Sounds like an incorrect sheeve or bad spring. Lots of potential issues here. The reverse thing is because it is governed...so you cannot go backwards as fast as you go forwards.(safety feature). On my old 660 grizz you could join 2 wires together and bypass this, put it on a toggle though. I do not know if you can on the 700. If you can it would like be on forums or you tube. It really sucks when you are trying to back up in a mud hole and the governor kicks in.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like its all in the clutching to me, i'd confirm you have the right belt first then start the teardown of clutches, maybe pursue the previous owner and see what he knows about what was replaced, swapped out etc. Sounds like an incorrect sheeve or bad spring. Lots of potential issues here. The reverse thing is because it is governed...so you cannot go backwards as fast as you go forwards.(safety feature). On my old 660 grizz you could join 2 wires together and bypass this, put it on a toggle though. I do not know if you can on the 700. If you can it would like be on forums or you tube. It really sucks when you are trying to back up in a mud hole and the governor kicks in.

Thanks for the quick reply.. I bought the belt from Riverside,so Iwould hope they know what the belt would be for it. I will get a hold of the previous owner and ask WHICH clutch was new, that would be a good start.

I will see if I can get a video of what the quad is doing.. you can really hear it when in reverse.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
don't judge the issue in reverse, forwards first, I'm thinking its the rollers, either they are missing or they have the wrong weights in it.... or as sirkdev said its the wrong spring.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as stated the reverse is normal there is a wire u have to ground to bypass this cant remember its been to many yrs but i am sure riverside would fill u in off the records as it is a safety feature
I would also inspect the wet clutch

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks like wet clutch to me, that or your park brake is seriously seized.

You need to pull your CVT cover off and verify the primary is working correctly,.. if it is, then you're looking at about $500 repair for the wet clutch

Drain the engine oil out and see if it smells burnt, the wrong oil might have been put in and glazed the wet clutch. You could grab yourself 2L of Crappy Tire powersports 10w-40 and see if it will clean up,.. but it won't fix the problem,.. only confirm it.

Last edited:

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks like wet clutch to me, that or your park brake is seriously seized.

You need to pull your CVT cover off and verify the primary is working correctly,.. if it is, then you're looking at about $500 repair for the wet clutch

Drain the engine oil out and see if it smells burnt, the wrong oil might have been put in and glazed the wet clutch. You could grab yourself 2L of Crappy Tire powersports 10w-40 and see if it will clean up,.. but it won't fix the problem,.. only confirm it.

We changed the oil on the weekend, cause we didnt know when it was last done. We put 0w50 synthtic in. Dealer told us 15w50, but we looked at the lable and it says that the 0w50 can replace the 15w50.
Good or Bad idea???

Where exactaly is a "wet clutch"?

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oops the other posts just loaded lol. The internal clutch is located behind the primary. You need a 27mm socket on an impact gun to take it off and its left hand thread. There's also a one way bearing so make sure you pay close attetion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We changed the oil on the weekend, cause we didnt know when it was last done. We put 0w50 synthtic in. Dealer told us 15w50, but we looked at the lable and it says that the 0w50 can replace the 15w50.
Good or Bad idea???

Where exactly is a "wet clutch"?

It is under the CVT cover behind your primary sheave,

Too bad you weren't closer I would do it for a case of beer :)

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oil cannot be energy conserving because of the anti friction additives,

Yes the internal clutch is the wet clutch, it is #6 in the diagram

Attachments

• wet clutch.jpg
    wet clutch.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 225

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oil cannot be energy conserving because of the anti friction additives,

Yes the internal clutch is the wet clutch, it is #6 in the diagram

THANK YOU SO MUCH... I will check it out. Not sure what Im looking for, but I will remove it and post pics.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK... this has me thinking, and I forgot some info at the begining of this thread..

This quad has a re built motor... only because the other owner's son ran the quad out of oil. I have all the receipts from the rebuild, but with it being ran out of oil, would that cause the "wet clutch" to be FRIED??

Are the wet clutches rebuildable, or do you have to buy a new one? I have a feeling this is gonna hurt the bank account... :(

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put 0w50 in my rincon 1 time cause the owners manual said it was what should be used for that time of year temperature wise and it was doin the same thing as yours. changed back to 10w50 and the problem went away. good luck

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put 0w50 in my rincon 1 time cause the owners manual said it was what should be used for that time of year temperature wise and it was doin the same thing as yours. changed back to 10w50 and the problem went away. good luck

The quad did this before I changed the oil, we just changed it cause we didnt know when it was done last.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K, lets start over,....

Pull your CVT cover off, but don't remove the internal primary cage,.. it holds the shaft from bending.

Rev the engine in neutral and see if your primary is engaging the belt properly, if the weights aren't being thrown out to close the primary its a primary issue,.. if they are closing the sheave,.. it's a wet clutch issue.

Also might be as simple as the wrong belt,.. but until you pull that cover it's a crap shoot.

Top Bottom