07 800R Rebuild

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I know this has probably been discussed before but wanted a fresh opinion. I am rebuilding my 800R motor and am wondering which pistons I should use. I rebuilt the top end before this season and used SPX's, put about 300 miles on them before a crank bearing seized on me. The pistons looked worse than the stock ones I took out the first time and they had 1700 miles on them.
I'm considering a dual ring piston on this rebuild, probably RK Tek or MCB, what do you recommend? Are the RK Tek pistons forged like Wiseco or are they cast?
Also, have you seen any issues with this motor losing oil, when I tore it apart everything looked really dry, didn't have much lube.
Thanks for your help, still hoping to get it going for spring riding!
Cheers,
MM

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys, I have a set of RK Tek pistons on order. Anybody have an idea of how much clearance I should have between bearings and crankcase?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys, I have a set of RK Tek pistons on order. Anybody have an idea of how much clearance I should have between bearings and crankcase?

None?

Which bearings and what clearance? Lateral or OD clearance?

Reaction score
None?

Which bearings and what clearance? Lateral or OD clearance?

OD. I checked the clearance because I hear some of these cases were machined too tight on the OD of the bearing. One of the inner bearings just seized on my motor. I checked and found .001"-.0015" on all of the bearings. Thx

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what cases do you have. check the casting for an R mark. some of them have the mark. these are ok. others were machined to tight although i have seen newer versions of the r bottom end without the r marking so it may be a myth

Reaction score
what cases do you have. check the casting for an R mark. some of them have the mark. these are ok. others were machined to tight although i have seen newer versions of the r bottom end without the r marking so it may be a myth

I had a look for the R and cannot find it. This is still the original motor as I haven't had an issue with the bottom end until now.:confused:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OD. I checked the clearance because I hear some of these cases were machined too tight on the OD of the bearing. One of the inner bearings just seized on my motor. I checked and found .001"-.0015" on all of the bearings. Thx

You'll have to call Doo for the specs or look in the manual, I don't know what they are supposed to be off the top of my head.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
huh too bad u didn't go with the mcb's ..... i have many friends that have or have had rk tek's and even in doo talk they have had the rings locaters fall out.... fuges the motor..... i went with the mcb's and love them....

Top Bottom