07 700 Dragon clutch issue

zduck14

Reaction score
I was wondering some opinions on here as to what might have gone wrong.

I stopped to have a drink up the mountain and when I tried to start up the sled, I couldn't pulled the cord (thought maybe the motor was siezed or something like that) For the record, I'm not all that mechanically inclined. Anyways, I pulled the sled backwards a little and it seemed to free up enough to pulled the cord and start the motor. As I tried to squeeze the throttle, the engine would bog down and stall. I took the belt off and towed the sled down the mountain only to find that one of the weights was stuck causing the clutch to stick open. I got the weight freed up and the sled seems to run alright now but I'm wondering if anyone with more knowledge can shed some light on this for me as to whether it should be ok to ride now or even how to tell if the clutch needs replacing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull your clutch off if you don't have the tools to repair it take it to a sled shop if you ride it you could cause more damage to the inside of the clutch sounds like you have a seized roller or the bushing is gone on your weights when was the last time you serviced it take mine apart every summer and check it

zduck14

Reaction score
It hasn't been serviced in a while. About 1700 miles or so. Hopefully it is just the weight bushing and won't cost too much.

snowhunter

Reaction score
If a weight is seized it's definitely time to do a full rebuild pins bushing weights etc before u have to buy a full 400 dollar primary jmo

zduck14

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice snowhunter. The weight was seized but it popped loose pretty easily. The sled seems to running great now but I'd rather be safe than towed down the mountain again.

Anyway, I just dropped the sled off at the local dealer here so hopefully it's not too bad and is just a rebuild like you say.

Top Bottom