06 800ho won't rev out

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sheesh, now i'm back to square one, could be a few things, but don't know enough to tell exactly what may be wrong with a particular part. well i'm goin to pull the primary completely apart tonight, see what i find, do some cleaning ect. could the secondary also be the cuplrit in this situation?

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
sheesh, now i'm back to square one, could be a few things, but don't know enough to tell exactly what may be wrong with a particular part. well i'm goin to pull the primary completely apart tonight, see what i find, do some cleaning ect. could the secondary also be the cuplrit in this situation?

Post a pic of your clutch before disasembly. Are there any belt marks or anything out of the ordinary. Also does the sled launch hard then just die out after 50 feet?

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Post a pic of your clutch before disasembly. Are there any belt marks or anything out of the ordinary. Also does the sled launch hard then just die out after 50 feet?

that is the other thing i as going to ask about, the bottom of both sheaves have belt marks on them and -abrasions (best way to describe them) following the belt marks. kinda like little grooves, but not deep ones. i'll try to get some pics on here tonight.
the sled launches pretty normal, just dies down if i giver to much throttle

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rollers might be shot in primary:(

yep, one of the rollers was shot, got some parts on order now.

also, why are those o rings on the slider shoe so important? my service manual makes it sound like the end of the world if they are missing.

heres some pics of the primary clutch tonight, most of the belt marking is gone, but the abrasions are obviously still there,

Attachments

• DSCN5289.jpg
    DSCN5289.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN5295.jpg
    DSCN5295.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 130

Braaap.

Reaction score
he has a 2006.....the vacum actuated ones werent introduced until 2007 in the 800R

double checked manual i was correct i realize the difference between 06 07
06 was powertek
and they still used springs under the caps for closing as i said before
there is one solenoid not 2 like the 3Ds in the 800R

if you dont want to try it, dont
i saidd twice i have seen this before
it is worth a shot buds

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so, how do mine opperate then? cause the shop manual only differentiates between powertek and non -powertek motors, (and sdi which is the same as powertek)it says the powertek has E-RAVE valves. were the 2006 800's powerteks?

The "PowerTEK" term for the 800 was definitely used in 2006, and maybe even 2005. My brother in law has the 2006 800, and there is a grey PowerTEK sticker right on it from factory. I have the 2006 service manual as well, and yes, the 800 is referred to as the PowerTEK. The E-RAVE valves were introduced in 2005, and the 3D RAVE valves were introduced in 2007.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is a powertek but there is NO 3D rave valves and pretty sure the eraves werent introduced until 06? i have an 05 without them but maybe 2005.5?

so theya re correct that the raves are vaccum actuated but you had said they are both functioning.

let us know what happens once the clutch is all fixed up

Last edited:

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is a powertek but there is NO 3D rave valves and pretty sure the eraves werent introduced until 06? i have an 05 without them but maybe 2005.5?

so theya re correct that the raves are vaccum actuated but you had said they are both functioning.

let us know what happens once the clutch is all fixed up

will do, i ordered parts from hitorquerollers.com, said it will be a week... sigh, a whole week to wait...

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well got the clutch all back together now, and still no luck, won't rev out past 6500 or so. i have a few questions from past posts tho, and any new ideas/solutions welcome!

also check your rave check valve which is located below pto carburator it is grey in colour.If you need help you can call me at 780-618-6253 i have four of those sleds and we came across some weired problems
how do i know if the check valve is functioning properly?

sure sounds like rave valves to me.

make sure the bellows are working properly and not leaking

take the caps off and operate the sled make sure they are both moving in and out evenly.
so they need to move at exactly the same same time, or is a slight half second delay ok?

still might be that solenoid not allowing pressure at all times
just did one that was surging on the top end and watched the raves, they would do close to the same as you explained. just more than once on that one. threw a solenoid at it wan way it went
no good reason for why is was faulty though sorry
so even tho i have the vacuum acctuated raves the solenoid could cause this problem?

not trying to second guess any one here, just want to make sure if i'm going to start buying parts i'm not buying ones i don't need. had a mechanic like that once, become pretty costly in a hurry.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
im gonna post something really stupid...
this past weekend i had a friend having the same issues.. would not rev... well i asked him to change his plugs. he said no there new.. i asked him to again. he did, it worked
dont forget the simple things

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
will try this for sure, i have heard that plugs aren't nesesarrily gapped properly from the manufacturer, any truth to that?

and no i have not gone thru the carbs yet, but i'm not too familiar with them either. could be a good learning experience i guess...

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you mash the throttle from a complete stop what do your rps do. I think you have a pooched bushing on your primary or your secondary is hanging up. try that and watch rpms closely.

test run went as follows:
start sled, regular 2 pulls with full choke. idle for a few minutes till warm. idle out into the field like normal. get into throttle from a standstill and it performs like normal all the way till 6500 rpm and then it just sputters.
it still pulls the skis off the ground, all be it only for 10 feet until it cut out. i can push the throttle all the way to the bar and let off as much as i like it just won't rev out.

which bushing in the primary are you talking about?

i had the secondary completely apart and nothing seems to be worn out or damaged.
what do you mean by hanging up?

i also noticed last time i had the sled running in the shop a small puddle of a clear-ish oil smelling fluid on the ground beneath the bulkhead. i can't see what its leaking from in/under the engine tho. and the day it started having issues it was leaving some oil spots on the ground. i don't think its coming from the resevoir or any lines, oil consumtion is pretty good... just not sure what the heck that coming from and if it could be what is my issue

Last edited:

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
still quite appreciative of your help here guys. :beer: drinks on me when this is cleared up. (but your gonna have to come to my neighborhood! lol)

basecamp

Reaction score
I am having problems with mine reving also and when I got it home took the clutch apart which I had cleaned two rides before and everything looked not bad. (I had ordered a DJ kit so was waiting for it to come in.) But when I took it apart something let go and mashed the bushing out. one roller is mashed and chipped a tooth off the inner half.

Braaap.

Reaction score
did this tonight, they would jump out for a second and then they would go back in when the sled started to sputter. but i assume since they are moving that the solenoid is functioning properly and its most likely not the raves causing my problem?
t

Hey wondered how you made out. You diagnosed your issue here in this post man. Like i said previous i have seen the rave solenoid do this. Both on the 06 and all the way through to 2010 3D raves. All with different symptoms. My money is on your rave solenoid. I hate to sound like a broken record but.......
I think they are fairly inexpensive. Lets hear whats next :)

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
t

Hey wondered how you made out. You diagnosed your issue here in this post man. Like i said previous i have seen the rave solenoid do this. Both on the 06 and all the way through to 2010 3D raves. All with different symptoms. My money is on your rave solenoid. I hate to sound like a broken record but.......
I think they are fairly inexpensive. Lets hear whats next :)

oh i guess i should have mentioned that i did try the solenoid. didn't change anything. replaced the check valve as well to no avail. decided i would rather bring it to the dealership and spend some $$$ and at least be able to ride it. so off it went.

they called today said the throttle position sensor was fershnickled. they are putting one of those in, see where that leads us....

Top Bottom