06 800ho won't rev out

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was up riding in sicamous last weekend on owls head and my sled was running great untill about half way thru saturday and then it wouldn't rev past 6000rpm.
sometimes it would clear up if i stayed on the throttle but only for a bit. intially i thought it was the pipe loading up from idling around, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
then i noticed i was missing some y pipe bolts on the mag side- thought maybe that was the problem, no sir.
there was a bunch of oil on the mag side jug between the rave valve and the y pipe, thought maybe it was the rave valve, but it seems to opperate smoothly (not sure exactly how to check that)

now i'm stuck. took for a ride tonight, still the same problem. i'm still thinking rave valves, but after doing some reading on here i think i may check the plug wires and caps. i just replaced the pto side cap, but i think i'll just do the rest to be safe.
for what its worth the sled has 14:1 head with cpi racing pipe and twin stingers, v force3 reeds.
not sure if i should pop the head off and take a peek at the top end, the plugs looked good and tried some new ones to no avail.
any help/ideas would be great:beer:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
might have fugged the mag pistion-rings.....

when the pipe gets loose it runs lean on that cylinder cause it doesn't get a pipe pulse right and sucks air back in the leak.... check comp on both sides

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just checked compression, 147 on pto side, 146 on mag side, same as it was at the beginning of the season.
now what? i'm kinda lost.:confused:
i guess i'll go dump a set of wires and caps in her. any preferences on brand? or just the run of the mill auto parts store type?
just wondering if i need to make the extra trip to the dealer is all.

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the rilay is on the left side , above the air box . It is a 5 point 12v , black in colour.Hope that is what your problem is . Good luck let me know if that fixed your problem.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the rilay is on the left side , above the air box . It is a 5 point 12v , black in colour.Hope that is what your problem is . Good luck let me know if that fixed your problem.

you mean the same relay that controlls the lights and tach ect, or is there another one i'm not seeing?

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same one if you buy wone make shure it is not made in chaina, they don't last

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also check your rave check valve which is located below pto carburator it is grey in colour.If you need help you can call me at 780-618-6253 i have four of those sleds and we came across some weired problems

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sure sounds like rave valves to me.

make sure the bellows are working properly and not leaking

take the caps off and operate the sled make sure they are both moving in and out evenly.

Braaap.

Reaction score
maxwells right
sounds like raves
i have replaced faulty rave solenoids
they will click with 12v
but not allow proper operation
located on top of your carb rack

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maxwells right
sounds like raves
i have replaced faulty rave solenoids
they will click with 12v
but not allow proper operation
located on top of your carb rack

i think the rave valves on his sled are operated by exhaust only no vaccum pressure from the solenoid.

or are you talking about the DPM solenoid on top oof the carb rack?

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could this be clutch issues? Last weekend a bit through the day my sled stopped reving up over 7k or so. My primary clutch was shot, centre cone, rollers and bushings all shot! $320 later up and running like new!:d

Braaap.

Reaction score
i think the rave valves on his sled are operated by exhaust only no vaccum pressure from the solenoid.

or are you talking about the DPM solenoid on top oof the carb rack?

if i remember correctly they still use springs under the caps for closing and the solenoid allows opening
works on tps position etc. controlled by ecm
dont think it sounds like dpm issue. though it wouldnt hurt to pull it apart clean and lube it.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could this be clutch issues? Last weekend a bit through the day my sled stopped reving up over 7k or so. My primary clutch was shot, centre cone, rollers and bushings all shot! $320 later up and running like new!:d

i thought this may be the issue as well, every so often when it would clear up i would hear a sound like someone threw a bolt at the bulk head, could be the weights sticking and then moving i thought. i just had the primary semi apart, cleaned up around the arms and weights. the one arm was sticking against the shield around the center spring, cleared that up, still didn't help the problem.

thanks for all the replies guys!

Last edited:

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sure sounds like rave valves to me.

make sure the bellows are working properly and not leaking

take the caps off and operate the sled make sure they are both moving in and out evenly.

did this tonight, they would jump out for a second and then they would go back in when the sled started to sputter. but i assume since they are moving that the solenoid is functioning properly and its most likely not the raves causing my problem?

Braaap.

Reaction score
did this tonight, they would jump out for a second and then they would go back in when the sled started to sputter. but i assume since they are moving that the solenoid is functioning properly and its most likely not the raves causing my problem?

still might be that solenoid not allowing pressure at all times
just did one that was surging on the top end and watched the raves, they would do close to the same as you explained. just more than once on that one. threw a solenoid at it wan way it went
no good reason for why is was faulty though sorry

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
still might be that solenoid not allowing pressure at all times
just did one that was surging on the top end and watched the raves, they would do close to the same as you explained. just more than once on that one. threw a solenoid at it wan way it went
no good reason for why is was faulty though sorry

he has a 2006.....the vacum actuated ones werent introduced until 2007 in the 800R

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he has a 2006.....the vacum actuated ones werent introduced until 2007 in the 800R

so, how do mine opperate then? cause the shop manual only differentiates between powertek and non -powertek motors, (and sdi which is the same as powertek)it says the powertek has E-RAVE valves. were the 2006 800's powerteks?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope they are 8ooHO

they are operated by exhaust pressure only

on the 800r are e rave which are computer controled via a solenoid and vaccum pressure

Top Bottom