05 sportsman 800 leaky water pump seal...any advice?

grasshpper326

Reaction score
my 800 sportsman overheated and has been leaking antifreeze down by water pump...i have been told i ruined my seal anyone ever change before is it much of a job to do

stealth 800

Reaction score
My 07 sportsman 800 was leaking as well.I replaced the seal my self. just be carefull when removeing the old seal. there is a seal behind the water pump seal that is very close.I just drilled a small hole in the water pump seal and instaled a screw so that you can pry on the screw to remove the seal.It was not a hard job.Check your overflow bottle mine a 1/4 inch of dirt in it and i'm sure thats what took out the old seal.After i put in the new seal i flushed the system. i hope this helps...

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya basically it need replaced. If your bike has a lot of miles on it and its never been replaced before it may be really hard to pry out. Be careful when your prying so you don't damage the seal behind it, don't bend the shaft and don't damage the surfarce the seal seats on.

Camell

Reaction score
Same as on my Grizzly, got dirty water in the system because the cap on my resivour kept letting dirty water in. Did this twice, and the 3rd time i replaced the propeller shaft as well, guess my shaft was bent just a little and prematurely wears out the seals as well. Dont know how similar these systems are, but same idea.

Top Bottom