01 summit 800 d.e.s.s. kill switch

Reaction score
i was out today and jumped off my sled and my d.e.s.s. kill switch popped off (because i forgot i had it on ) and the chip inside flew out . so i put it back on and it ran fine . people have told me that the sled should not run without it . i took it for a good rip 1 km or so and it was fine . so my question is , has anyone had this problem ? or should i go and get it programmed ? or will it run fine without the chip ?

any input would be appreciated
thanks

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
always worth having an extra dess cord made for your sled, you could have the same extra made for others in your riding group, can come in handy for just such an event. should be able to lightly glue it back in, check with dealer.

Reaction score
i forgot to mention , i also lost it( the chip) , it was dark searched in the snow found nothing , but the sled still runs fine , even without the chip

Reaction score
went to the dealer got a new one programmed and as they were doing the new one i found the chip on the running board , sonofabitch, so now i have a back up thanks for the input

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well in theory, the machine is not supposed to rev up without the proper dess coded key on the post. It will start but if you try and drive it away it will stall.

Really good theft deterent brp of the machine will run fine without the chip in the cord.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you find out why it ran without the chip? running board close enough? Does that mean if there is a tether with no chip; not the wrong one, that these sleds will run? Don't think DESS cords use RFID but I could be wrong.....

Reaction score
my sled would not run without the tether on , and when i went to load it i had to wiggle it to get a good connection and then it was fine even without the chip , wish i would have looked on the running board instead of lookin in the snow for an hour .

so now i have 2 chords

thanks for the input

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my sled would not run without the tether on , and when i went to load it i had to wiggle it to get a good connection and then it was fine even without the chip , wish i would have looked on the running board instead of lookin in the snow for an hour .

so now i have 2 chords

thanks for the input

I used to have a 2000 700 Summit and the GF also had a 2000 700 Summit. if I got the cords mixed up the sleds would start but would go into a stutter when the throttle was applied. they would not build enough RPM to engage the clutch. A friend of mine pulled his tether out of his jacket pocket and attached it. would start but go into stutter. he took it in to the dealer and they found a dime in his tether.

that being said I would ask the dealer to check out your DESS. doesn't sound like its working correctly

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Digitally encoded security system .......... I can't mix my 2 sled dess plugs or they won't run properly. You shouldn't be able to rev over 3500 rpms, and it will stutter. I once had my chip plate come out, and i siliconed it into place, and it worked fine.....can be enough to get you somewhere in an emergency, if you have another key/plug from another sled....anyone, who's dess doesn't work properly should get them reprogrammed, for theft/safety reasons. Just sayin'

Last edited:

sledr

Reaction score
thats weird cause last year my chip popped out of mine on my 03 and i had a hell of a time gettin it runnin took me almost a hour to get that damn chip in place and get it to stay out of secure mode the only thing that helped me out of the mountains was a little pack of electric grease and the other bad part was i was climbing and side hilling and knocked it with my knee the chip was only in by a hair of glue as soon as i stuck it on it fell out and took a long long time to get going again no matter how hard i tried so atlest ya had some luck and got out but i would still get them to check your dess if u can run without the chip lol and sorry 4 being so long

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know what chip you guys are speaking of. that is just a flexable connection plate to help aid in a better easier connection. mine came out YEARS ago and all i have to do differant is wiggle the key a bit once in a while to get it to rev up. it also came out of my rev. same deal.

no machine will run without the correct dess unless you have an issue with your computer.

that being said i have a 2008 xp stock class hillclimb sled with a differant computer programming. it will run with ANY dess key.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 2 summits and you could put the plug from one to the other.

Top Bottom