2004 800 Summit- High revs after driving

mustang29

Reaction score
I have a 2004 - 800 Summit. It runs great, starts fantastic, idles good, but the problem I am having is after driving any distance when I come to a stop the RPMS stay at 4000 until I burp the choke then the RPMS come down and idles fine. This happens every time when coming to a stop. The carbs have been cleaned, new pistons, and new gasket. This occurred even prior to the engine work. Any suggestions?

Stewart McLennan

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its lean in the mid range.... u need 20 pilot jest instead of 17.5's..... its a very comon thing... also check ur exhaust y pipe bolts, reed boots for delamination.... if u choke it and get it down will it go back up within 10-15 sec idling?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take the tops of the carbs off and check the little tiny spring that is connected to the top of the slide. I had the same problem and those springs were broken and when you come off the gas the slides in the carbs jump a little.

mustang29

Reaction score
yes the revs do start to come back up 15 sec on there own but not all the time.i ran it last night and after slowing down and stoping it was idleing at 4500 rpms

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would check ALL your Y-pipe bolts for sure. Mine was doing the same thing and found 1 missing Y-pipe bolt and 2 others were loose.

mtnrev

Reaction score
Listen to Tex78 my dealer told me the same thing when my sled was doing that. Changed pilots to 20 problem solved.

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
It's not midrange your running lean it's at an idle right..Changing the pilots should help a little but if not try adjusting the idle air screw and also your needles might be in the wrong position for the altitude and temp your riding in... The DPM does do fine adjustments but if the carbs are to far out for the area it can't adjust enough to compensate.. U have to adjust the carbs for the area u ride the DPM will just fine tune it as much as it can.. Hope this helps!!

mtnrev

Reaction score
That is correct it is lean at idle and that is why you want to change your pilot jets. Your pilots determine jetting at idle, the needles determine jetting in the midrange.

nielsy

Reaction score
and the fuel screws usually i will turn them out an extra 1/4 turn and idle comes right down

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
and the fuel screws usually i will turn them out an extra 1/4 turn and idle comes right down

i agree...... Look at the air/fuel screw adjustments before you start playing with needles and jets, since it was running okay before, there must be an adjustment that is out, not a mechanical piece....... I bet a proper carbueretor set-up(air/fuel, choke, idle speed) and syncronization will fix it up........ Also make certain that the coolant temp sensor is plugged into the ecu, as i believe the coolant sensor has it's own plug in. This could cause an excessively high idle as well. Double check the carbueretor boots are intact and not delaminating as well. also double check the exhaust manifold bolts as well..... hope that covers it for you:)

Last edited:

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
mine is dooing the same thing.... gonna check all this stuff... would an impact have anything to do with this

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Also do you have the coolant circulation knob on or off?? Carbueretors may be icing up inside in this wrarmer weather..... We have always had ours off. We had problems when we first got it and it revved then came down in idle, same way, and when we turned the recirc off, it worked better....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pilots jets are for 0 - 1/4 throttle, needles are for 1/4 and up...

SKIROULE

Reaction score
My 06 has the same issue but does yours start beeping and the eng light start flashing?

Top Bottom