27 inch gorilla silverbacks for grizzly 550

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zilla's are very light tire(the lightest there is for mud tire) but it doesn't matter what quad your have whether it's a 450 or a 1000 clutching is the key!! A 550 griz will turn backs no problem with the right clutch springs in it

Ya but what is the point of putting $600+ worth of tires on to later have to install $300-$500 in mods just to turn them effectively. Then you increase the risk of damage to other components,.. breaking axles, diff locks,.. etc.

That's like putting putting 38" boggers on a IFS Chev 1500 front end and NOT expect to snap the front cv's. Well, its all about throttle control,.. I say donkey penis,. it is reducing the life of the atv components.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
arewethereyet got my point, this is opening a big can of worms, alot of us have been there, once you start it wont end and will get really pricy, he could even put a set of 26 zillas on go 95% of the spots, break no where near the parts, and have more fun on the trail. Alot cheaper and more fun.

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the mudzillas on my quad before the gorillas, I dont know how different the zillas are but I can go more places in 2wd with the gorillas then 4wd with the mudzillas and thats on the same machine so I say donkey pennis that the zillas will go 95% of the same places. If your a hard core mudder you are gonna break things no matter what.

little kidd

Reaction score
Man u guys are making it hard to choose. I dont want to start breaking all my axles and cv joints on my new quad. I wouldnt have a problem with putting gorilla axles on the front. I want to put an hmf pipe on and chip it I dont know if that will help much but. If I go with the mudzillas they will still have the same tread depth as the 27ich silverbacks 1.5. Also if i got the silverback whats the top speed I can go and if i go to fast does it just shake and rattle or what.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just me 2 cents and take what you want but i would run zilla's not mudzilla's the zilla's are the lightest mud tire made, a good alround tire.i think the tread depth is 1-1.25" adding wieght=less hp, and weight on the wheels/tires is the worst spot to add, if you are a die hard in the mud all the time run 'backs or whatever, if you trail ride as well i would run the zilla's .

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man u guys are making it hard to choose. I dont want to start breaking all my axles and cv joints on my new quad. I wouldnt have a problem with putting gorilla axles on the front. I want to put an hmf pipe on and chip it I dont know if that will help much but. If I go with the mudzillas they will still have the same tread depth as the 27ich silverbacks 1.5. Also if i got the silverback whats the top speed I can go and if i go to fast does it just shake and rattle or what.

If you are putting 1.5" lug tires on, top speed is the LEAST of your worries.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why would you buy a 550 quad then try and make more hp out of it by piping, clutching chipping etc?? shouldve just spent the extra 1000 bucks or whatever and bought a bigger machine. just my 2 cents..... i remember thinking of buying a kodiak then piping and cluthing it. after pricing it out i bought a 700 kawi that will DESTROY a kodiak, for less than it would cost to mod the kodiak. personal preference that is all!

little kidd

Reaction score
IM only 16 and I dont have alot of money. Piping and chipping arent even that much.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to get a quality pipe and a chip that will give you the gains you are expecting is close to the difference in price to a 700 class quad, look i dont want to beat you up or push my personal beliefs on anyone hear, my first quad was 400 outlander, still have it, i was in your shoes, i still have the quad and it is still stock, all my other people i went riding with had 700 class stuff lifted big tires and so on, i still went with them every weekend towed most of them home at some point in time, and just had fun, then when the budget opened up i bought a second quad that i could push harder and go faster on.i now have 3 atv's on for each situation that i want to do. the most important mod you can do to your quad is LEARN TO RIDE IT. put miles on it

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to get a quality pipe and a chip that will give you the gains you are expecting is close to the difference in price to a 700 class quad, look i dont want to beat you up or push my personal beliefs on anyone hear, my first quad was 400 outlander, still have it, i was in your shoes, i still have the quad and it is still stock, all my other people i went riding with had 700 class stuff lifted big tires and so on, i still went with them every weekend towed most of them home at some point in time, and just had fun, then when the budget opened up i bought a second quad that i could push harder and go faster on.i now have 3 atv's on for each situation that i want to do. the most important mod you can do to your quad is LEARN TO RIDE IT. put miles on it

110% AGREE!!!!
just so u know, i turned 17 this week lol so im a youngin to. i bought my 700 bone stock, as opposed to lets say a 400 cc class atv with a few mods like tires and winch and stuff. i drove my quad with stock tires and no winch for a whole season until i could afford a winch, then the following year tires and a cheap hmf exhaust, just to make it loud. anyways i think its clear here that, like usual, its all personal preference and every1 hjas to start somewhere! so if you want 27 inch silverbacks on your griz, then go ahead. maybe everything will indeed work out in your favour, and u will have a wonderful machine that you love to ride! :beer::d

Top Bottom