Yfz 450

irideyamaha

Reaction score
I've been looking at buying one but it seems everyone is selling them.
I need some input about them since I'm new to the whole 4 wheelin thing. Also any other suggestions would be great. I want something big that I'm gonna be able to ride for a couple years without needing a lot more power.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the YFZ 450 is hands down one of the best sport quads ever produced. still to this day its winning shootout. yamaha builds a hard hitting engine that will leave you smiling every time you get on the throttle. the frame is tough, the components are all great and there is endless hop up opportunities available if your ever seekin a bit more. people might be selling their yfz's because the new yfz450R is another notch up with EFI and aluminum frame, real bad azz!! i would sell mine for a EFI because i hate jetting! but i have to much money into mine to get it back.. heres a few shots

rhino003.jpg

rhino004.jpg

rhino006.jpg

F1000024.jpg

ghglenn

Reaction score
If you are going newer, the EFI is sweet. If budget is tighter, try to get a 2007 or newer. Or a 2006 with "the oil mod". The motor had issues oiling the wrist-pin. Yamaha fixed it in 2007. It is fairly easy fix, but if you can just get the newer motor, already done. Intake, timing mod, and a pipe, and the YFZ rips. Throw a big bore kit on it, and you will have a hard time holding on. The suspension is the best of the stockers, but if you want to go real fast, you will eventually want to upgrade that, too. This is where the newer ones come in again...they are already longer travel...(the shocks aren't as good as after market, but are still not bad)...something to consider when looking.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 for the oil mod, don't worry if yours doesn't have it. DuncanRacing can install the mod to your pre '07 YFZ for 80 bucks. My buddy has an '06 with no mod and his grenaded on him because he was low on oil. Rider error..

I had a YFZ as well, but sold it for a 4X4 quad. I felt like a switch, but the YFZ's certainly are powerful machines and you'll love it. They respond to mods well. the cam timing mod is free and packs a good punch.

Heres mine... Back when I had a YFZ.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 171

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea i havnt done the oil mod yet! im waiting to see if it blows it, and if it does!!! then maybe i might just need a 535 kit or something! :)

If you love the way it revs and builds RPM's quick, do not bore it. If you want a fire breather that'll shoot like a rocket, then bump up your compression, cam timing mod, new intake cam (the exhaust cam only ads about 0.5HP, so its your call on the 200 bucks.. But definately go with the intake cam) and if you don't got one already, a Fuel customs intake tract and filter, with a little P&P to the head. Winning combo right there.

The FCI intake sounds like a TB spacer in your truck, ever see a 450 with a whistle? Its pretty cool.

I also eliminated the carburetor bog on my 450 with a R&D float bowl, made jetting a breeze.

I probably have a few clips of it still. I'll bring 'em up so you can hear the intake.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, i was just going to do the wr piston and crank, get my 10 cc's and get the 12.5 piston giving it a little more punch and keeping it reliable. i hate to do things often, so with engines, i never touch them until i have to, thats why every thing on my 450 is changed except the engine. i live on the edge of the mountains, so riding from 1300-6500ft, makes jetting a pain in the azz. got the quick adjust fuel screw, help a bit, and also did the YZF needle in the carb.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, i was just going to do the wr piston and crank, get my 10 cc's and get the 12.5 piston giving it a little more punch and keeping it reliable. i hate to do things often, so with engines, i never touch them until i have to, thats why every thing on my 450 is changed except the engine. i live on the edge of the mountains, so riding from 1300-6500ft, makes jetting a pain in the azz. got the quick adjust fuel screw, help a bit, and also did the YZF needle in the carb.

Yep, mine had the YZ needle as well (Had the dynojet one, didn't work like the YZ one) and the fuel screw. The float bowl helped even more because it had an externally adjustable leak jet as well. My engine is all stock as well, i just had suspension done and a few other mods like a pipe and intake. My buddy has an '06 with cams, piston and crank.

For extra snap, definately look into the FCI though. well worth.

irideyamaha

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Would the oil mod be something i could pick up and do myself? some people told me i would have better luck with a raptor but im still open to the 450 for sure.

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Would the oil mod be something i could pick up and do myself? some people told me i would have better luck with a raptor but im still open to the 450 for sure.

I just replaced my Raptor this summer with a 2007 YFZ 450SE! Something that I should have done a long time ago! :)

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you know your way around a CNC machine and got the parts from Duncan than go nuts.

Duncan Racing International can do the oil mod for you (machining and what not) for 80 bucks.

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great info guys I am looking at an 07 right now with a few goodies reading about all the good YFZs just made me pull the trigger cant wait till the snow goes...lol

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 07 was an awesome quad. Never missed a beat and I just bagged the crap out of it. Had well over 5000km of pure he'll on it. Only thing I ever did was change oil ,filter,oil filter orings, and oil(motul 15 50) every weekend or 3 days riding.

Took the motor apart before I sold it. It was like brand new inside.

Top Bottom