Yanking around a 40' toy hauler, with gas engine

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You gas haulers need to get caught up in a ugly cross wind or a hard pull like the salmo creston pass on a hot day in July pulls your 20k 40 foot Rv.. Did it once as well, and can promise you it would be sold before doing something so stupid again

buy the right truck for the job.. Make your trip so much better
I gotta ask...what's the biggest difference between a gas job and a diesel in a crosswind?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your too smart for me tee.. get both trucks and give it a try, that's why we don't pull with gasers anymore.. been there done that

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think what all this boils down to is if you want to go gas then go right ahead. No one will stop you. Everyone has to decide for themselves as to which truck will work for them. I have towed my share in both diesels (stock and programmed) and gas jobs ranging from 200-450hp. Also in 1/2, 3/4, 1 tons as well as having my class 1 license pulling trailers. I don't know it all I am just telling you my thoughts on it. I know that I can easily tow my trailers and be comfortable in my new duramax vs my last truck which was also a 1ton srw 6.4 hemi. I mean it is night a day difference. Not only in power but handling as well. Fuel mileage is huge as well. If you want to tow with a gas job and are comfortable doing it then giver.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been running a 5.7 hemi for a year. Pull a cat 289d skid steer around and it gets worked going to the resort. She'll pull it but not winning any races.

I went gasser because I pull the machine once a month and 15km each way. Any further distance and it would have been a diesel choice.

Mileage is 12l/100 hi way and 18 all around average. Pulling is 35-40.

Nice doing $50 oil changes vs $150 for the old power stroke.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been running a 5.7 hemi for a year. Pull a cat 289d skid steer around and it gets worked going to the resort. She'll pull it but not winning any races.

I went gasser because I pull the machine once a month and 15km each way. Any further distance and it would have been a diesel choice.

Mileage is 12l/100 hi way and 18 all around average. Pulling is 35-40.

Nice doing $50 oil changes vs $150 for the old power stroke.

Makes perfect sense to me. Minimal towing and otherwise a daily driver. My daily driver is a car. My truck is just for pulling in the summer and sled trips in the winter (when we don't use my buddy's diesel). No short trips and every time it gets started it gets driven at least 10 to 20 miles to get to operating temp for a bit.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So to wrap it up, you can, and sometimes it makes perfect sense, pull with a gasser especially the newer ones. Mostly because I can, I have a diesel as I prefer the torque and the engine brake.

My brother took over my father's 2001 Monaco Signature 43 foot motorhome with a 525 HP N14 Cummins. Managed a steady 110 KMH from Hope going up the Coquihalla (a 6 to 7 % grade) pulling a GMC Envoy tow vehicle without breaking a sweat. About 1750 RPM in 5th gear or thereabouts. Had it up to 140 KMH at one point on that trip just to see what it was like. Smooth as silk. Pretty hard to argue that diesel doesn't have superior power but it can be hard for some to justify it if you are just driving around empty considering extra cost to purchase and maintain. Just another toy in my world :)

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trying to Compare a Diesel and a gas engine, is like trying to compare a gas engine to a electric powered vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well sorta. An electric vehicle can easily kick the ass of either diesel or gas. Just not for vary far if you are on battery power. That is why trains are electric and the diesels are just huge generators.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure this electric truck can tow just fine.
6460e40145a7f14126e4911088ae102c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you buy the semi 6.4L. Then it recommends full synthetic 0w-40. Chits not cheap.

Yep not far off from a diesel oil change. 7L if I remember right in the 6.4. My first 4 oil changes are free at the dealer for my duramax. After that they charge $100. I will probably let them keep doing it after the four are up.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
50l per 100 kms haha in on the floor and can't get up .

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
50l per 100 kms haha in on the floor and can't get up .

Translates to 5.6 miles per gallon towing. My GMC 7.4 did little better at 6 MPG when towing. From Sherwood Park I couldn't get into Calgary - I had to fill up at Cross Iron Mills on the North End of town. A good day I could get 7.5 MPG which is about 40L per 100 kms. Really the main reason why I went to a diesel. Basically doubled my fuel economy with a huge increase in torque. Haven't driven the new engines though...

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread. A lot more input then I had thought.

What I can't seem to wrap my head around, is how I can move 105,000 to 135,000 lbs down the same roads with 1850lbs of torque, that some guys make it sound like moving 22,000lbs with 500lbs of torque simply can't be done- or is somehow crazy.

Or that somehow haveing an automatic downshift is stressful.

One thing is for sure though- the guys in marketing are doing a bang up job. :beer:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's comparing apples to oranges.
Put a gas engine in your truck and tow the same 105,000 with a 8LL transmission.

The constant up and down shifting of a auto transmission and excess heat created makes components wear faster.

Diesel is the way to go IMO, it's worth the extra cost to purchase and maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats quite a story... it explains a lot though. Downshifting doesn't lose speed. In many cases, it will gain you speed- even with a brand new 900lbs of torque truck, when it's under load.

Anyway, it seems like any further into this and feeling might get hurt, so I'll leave it at that.:beer:

When you have a gas engine towing a heavy load even tho it downshifts it still looses speed up a grade, and that loss is way worse than a diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom