Yamaha Viper MCX

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try the higher hole on the rear suspension mount, lowers the back a bit and gets some weight off the skis, I like it better.

Exactly, you should be in the center hole if your not already. I have ran into a few that guys will bolt the rear scissor to the lowest drop bracket hole in the intent it gives the sled more board clearance. Unfortunately it doesn't work as the weight transfer suffers drastically and you end up with a sled that has a heavy feel to it and will tend to trench as it attempts to push the nose around instead of lifting the nose.
There is also a proper setup for front and rear suspension that will make them easy and nimble to ride with a light steering.
Nice sled BTW

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly, you should be in the center hole if your not already. I have ran into a few that guys will bolt the rear scissor to the lowest drop bracket hole in the intent it gives the sled more board clearance. Unfortunately it doesn't work as the weight transfer suffers drastically and you end up with a sled that has a heavy feel to it and will tend to trench as it attempts to push the nose around instead of lifting the nose.
There is also a proper setup for front and rear suspension that will make them easy and nimble to ride with a light steering.
Nice sled BTW

Thanks....so I do have it in the middle hole in the rear mount and the front is in the lower hole. It handles great...feels light and nimble. It was funny I jumped on my kids pro 600 to show him how to do turns and I was struggling. Lol. The viper/sidewinder just has a nice balance point to it. Super easy to get over.

Attachments

• 66AEEC52-BE41-4C16-A63D-A8F1CB87AA74.jpeg
    66AEEC52-BE41-4C16-A63D-A8F1CB87AA74.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 255

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know your size but using me as a sample. I do about 50/50 meadow tree riding and alpine riding which includes chute pulls.
I'm about 275lbs geared up and 6ft.

The sled has the floats 3 in the front and i have the air set at 60psi.
The rear skid has the Fox coil over as a center with Zbroz 300lbs coil. The rear scissor shock is the QS3 float set at 150psi.

The sled handles like a dream, pretty much can ride it with one hand. It can be rode all day and you wont tire out, no more then a buddy on a 2smoke.

Part of the trick to getting it right is the center shock, air or coil. The trick once you have the front and rear set is to slowly increase the spring pressure, air or coil till the ass end of the sled becomes unruly. Like it wants to bounce around, go side to side.
What happens is you now have increase the front of the rail pressure so much that the rear of the rail has little to no pressure on it and the sled will want to bounce around.
Once your at that point you now decrease the preload a little, enough to just remove the unruliness.
If you can't achieve it with the spring you have that means the spring is too weak and you need to go another size up.

This will allow the skid to transfer and give you a light feel at the bars.
You will need to adjust, fine tune to your liking, what i posted is my general riding settings and realize if your a climber a lockout is needed.
I don't generally fool with the settings, basically if the sled tail walks to much for a climb on the current settings i'll sit it out.
My rear skid pressure i'll crank up to around 170psi if i carry extra gas, which is rare unless i'm at the Icefields or Renshaw.

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the upper holes on front and rear, I like it better, I have a different skid and most likely ride differently as well, but you might like it.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I’m probably 240 ish with all my gear. Like riding steep trees, creeks etc. I don’t do a whole bunch or climbing anymore. I have the middle zbroz spring 200-240. I did notice it seemed a bit squirrelly in the back so will back it off a bit. The biggest thing I noticed was under hard acceleration the rear would squat and skis would lift a bit on a flat trail. Never noticed that on the sidewinder.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my reverse stopped working end of last ride. Did some trouble shooting and found the reverse actuator cam apart at the bottom and allowed the motor rotor to drop and lock up. The plastic was also cracking around the mounting screw I noticed when I got the sled. Almost looks like the plastic is brittle from heat. Anyway ordered a new actuator.
8DB76C5D-0E5C-4C6A-B2BE-CB97DBC78D21.jpg

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone has a old actuator kicking around with a good body I would be interested to repair this one for a spare. Just need this piece.
1010C9C4-3E0E-43AD-8628-C8310FAAC28E.jpg

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guys on the viper page on fb are using a saturn power window motor i believe. fraction of the cost vs yamaha.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did. I just wanted one to replace the mcx window screen one.
F3CCFC10-F69F-44FB-B8FD-8FA7A67D22D9.jpg

Does a guy need a Yamaha shelf to hold Yamaha sled parts??? Yes ....yes you do!!!

Attachments

• 42F65158-C034-4ADE-8861-8042555C0BDB.jpeg
    42F65158-C034-4ADE-8861-8042555C0BDB.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice sled! Are these vipers ok power when not turbocharged? I mostly trail ride....would it have as much power as a old Apex or more like a Nytro?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice sled! Are these vipers ok power when not turbocharged? I mostly trail ride....would it have as much power as a old Apex or more like a Nytro?

Thanks! All depends what your expectations are? For a trail sled I think it would be fine. It would be similar power to a nytro but handle way better. You’ll get thousands of miles out of the motor.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are 135-140 out of the box. With simple exhaust mods like headers and pipe and a fresh air intake, minor fuel mapping they easily hit the 150-160hp mark and run pretty much maintenance free for thousands of miles.
The beauty of the 4stroke is the undeniable torque.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I added some RSI billet inserts I found....pretty slick actually...one negative they did raise things about 0.5” wouldn’t think it would be noticeable but definitely felt it. They worked great though.
3C52A2D0-7D1A-4968-96B7-6E00566C0464.jpg

I’m really enjoying this viper. It works great, handling it very similar to the sidewinder. Sidewinder has it for throttle response and power I would say.
CC7E678F-E902-49CD-86FA-D7C144FCDC09.jpg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I added some RSI billet inserts I found....pretty slick actually...one negative they did raise things about 0.5” wouldn’t think it would be noticeable but definitely felt it. They worked great though.
View attachment 232937

I’m really enjoying this viper. It works great, handling it very similar to the sidewinder. Sidewinder has it for throttle response and power I would say.
View attachment 232938

You mean you did not care for them shet boards LOL.
I know a few guys that stayed with their Viper for that very reason, the SW and Viper are very close to the same only minor differences. The engines on these are solid and both extremely reliable, 1049 or 998 so why change up when you have so much coin invested in a sled. Actually some prefer the Viper because of the nose mounted radiator, the sled never over heats in no snow...LOL
But then lots of guys pull that rad out.
Nice to see you back with the dark side after experiencing that other stuff..haha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O those boards are cool didnt know about that . Where u buy them ?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O those boards are cool didnt know about that . Where u buy them ?

Found a guy selling them...he never installed them. They are pretty slick...took a couple hrs to install both sides. I don’t think they make them anymore....but I think cat has something similar (pricey).

Top Bottom