Wtf? Ride all day, leave it overnight and wont start??

burny77

Reaction score
Got a 2011 assault 800. The last 3 times i have rode, it runs and starts fine all day and then the next morning it wont start until you give it some throttle.
Its also been cutting out at WOT and dropping the RPMs down to about 6200 and then you let off and mash it again it will go.
I understand this is a common problem with these sled. Compression is 110 each side.
Whats going on and why should i have to touch the throttle to start it??

rydemx

Reaction score
Had the exact same problem on my pro , it's your TSS swicth in your throttle block . Mine wouldn't start unless I held the throttle on a little bit and it would cut out at wot and send me over the bars . Throttle free play is critical for this switch to work properly but just take it out of the throttle block and tape the little button down and wrap the entire switch in tape and relocate it to under your hood .just keep in mind you should have a teather if you do this . My TSS was useless in the few times my throttle stuck , it didn't work anyways

rydemx

Reaction score
Read my earlier post, TSS is different from Tps . TSS is your throttle safety switch inside your throttle block . This is more then likely why it won't start unless to depress the throttle flipper . But I would have your TPS checked / set by your dealer as well .

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also say throttle cable freeplay. Just need to adjust it. A little way down the cable from the throttle is a rubber boot. slide the rubber boot back and that is where you adjust the cable.

• Recommends
Reactions: cs5

burny77

Reaction score
Only does it when it's cold. Sits in my trailer won't start. Sits in my heated garage. Start 2 pulls?????

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only does it when it's cold. Sits in my trailer won't start. Sits in my heated garage. Start 2 pulls?????

Its your free play for sure don't look for big problems, that switch is very sensitive and the difference from warm to cold could be enough to screw you up.

Top Bottom