Worst Case you had on your toy

Stillrockingabanshee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is the worst case you ever had to deal with regarding your snowmobile, atv, motorcycle, dirt bike, and so on.

My first case was the burning rear rotor on my banshee, after going 6th gear, and 5th gear for 20 min. I stopped, and the rotor, was like on fire, and it was warped. it was bad. I figured the parking brake cable stuck the pads to the disc, i didnt notice one bit, and it got better as i switched gears, as the pads were wearing out

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
'95 RMK 500 fan cooled. What a *POS* Three melt downs within 500km. Proper jetting and dealer couldn't find the problem with it. So traded it for a new RXL 650 EFI...sweet ride that one was :cool:

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1995 ZRT 800 first ride dropped a skirt in the center cylinder. Took the crank out and cut the cases in half.

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snapped a chain while climbing a chute. didnt end very well. sled came straight down into a big old fir tree. tree 1 sled 0

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sank an old citation water skipping when i was a kid. went right down and died.

sank a 2004 outlander in a fast flowing creek when i was a much bigger kid. went for a ride...scary.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drown my 660 Griz 3 years ago, had it rebuilt then rebuilt again and now it needs a rebuild.

bcham5

Reaction score
Hit a rock behind the compressors at work on my m1000 doing about 40mph flew 50 feet and my sled passed me halfway, bent the tunnel near the grab handle, the running board tunnel roll, smashed in my belly pan on the clutch side and under the engine, right side upper and lower A-arms bent, and i broke the hood in half all within 5 minutes of unloading it off my truck :(

chalk it up to being a dumb*ss :nono:
-not wearing a helmet
-not riding with control

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hit a rock behind the compressors at work on my m1000 doing about 40mph flew 50 feet and my sled passed me halfway, bent the tunnel near the grab handle, the running board tunnel roll, smashed in my belly pan on the clutch side and under the engine, right side upper and lower A-arms bent, and i broke the hood in half all within 5 minutes of unloading it off my truck :(

chalk it up to being a dumb*ss :nono:
-not wearing a helmet
-not riding with control

Props for being able to admit your mistakes. Worst scenario is when the front brake locked on my bike at a slower speed (thankfully) and left me ditching the bike and running down the trial trying not to go azz over tea kettle :eek:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I wreck everything so there really is none that stand out.....

2 weeks before the Cooke MT ride blew a piston....rebuilt that weekend, took it out to test it, hit a culvert.... new trailing arm, shock, & tie-rods + beating the tunnel back into shape with a sledgehammer..... back together in time for the ride...went to Cook, sled performed awesome...day 1 accepted a ride home from the bar at 3am, crashed and broke collar bone...headed back to canada and free healthcare..

Bought the 1986 moto-4 in 2008, MINT... I tried a slewhole at the 2009 Camp out, got stuck & flooded.... Mike many #'s says "I think you coulda made it"... ME TOO... I tried again. While mike is pulling me out we are trying to figure out my NEXT best route of attack.... the last try killed it, 45 mins + new plugs+ worm removal+ copius amounts of smokes and beer and she got me back to the site...barely... Still runs to this day but doubles as a mosquito fogger @ 1L oil per 15 mins riding.....

I woke up beside this fatty one morning....never mind....

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2002 ZR 440 Sno Pro... When it ran and held together it was great and gave most stock 600s and 800s a good run off the line but those times were few and far between.

Lets see:
-Lost the brakes entirely one ride, turns out whoever installed the updated brake rotor and pads didn't do it properly and caused the pads to wear at an angle, making the caliper pistons push out too far and lose all the fluid
-Speedometer that worked for a season then quit
-Oil tank that the jackshaft rubbed through on making a major mess under the hood. Ended up fabbing up my own tank and bracket for it
-Limiter straps kept breaking
-A-arm bushings kept breaking
-Belly pans that didn't fit properly
-Waterpump seal started leaking coolant into the cases
-Tunnel cracking, managed to stop it with drilling a small hole at the end of said cracks
-Cracks on the bulkhead, got them welded up.
-Getting the sled to move when cold. I don't know why but if that sled was sitting outside for a while, fire it up and try to move it and it wasn't happening. Checked the clutches, belt, driveshafts, chaincase and found nothing wrong

What did I learn? Never buy a first year sled, especially a factory snox sled. Also learned how to wrench on sleds at a young age. I'm pretty sure I was my dealer's #1 customer in parts for a while there.

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

2 weeks before the Cooke MT ride blew a piston....rebuilt that weekend, took it out to test it, hit a culvert.... new trailing arm, shock, & tie-rods + beating the tunnel back into shape with a sledgehammer..... back together in time for the ride...went to Cook, sled performed awesome...day 1 accepted a ride home from the bar at 3am, crashed and broke collar bone...headed back to canada and free healthcare..

Bought the 1986 moto-4 in 2008, MINT... I tried a slewhole at the 2009 Camp out, got stuck & flooded.... Mike many #'s says "I think you coulda made it"... ME TOO... I tried again. While mike is pulling me out we are trying to figure out my NEXT best route of attack.... the last try killed it, 45 mins + new plugs+ worm removal+ copius amounts of smokes and beer and she got me back to the site...barely... Still runs to this day but doubles as a mosquito fogger @ 1L oil per 15 mins riding.....

ever thing about a non-motorized sport?

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

not passing judgement.....but........why would you listen to many #'s....jus say'n

sledneck48

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old Ltr was kinda a POS
Replaced a cylinder and piston after owning for a couple weeks $1000
Two months ago i locked up a cam and came out of time and hit the valves on the piston wrecked the entire topend $3000 damage
Two motors in under a year
Needless to say the POS is still in pieces in my garage and theres a brand new LTR in my driveway.

PS Its for sale for parts or to fix and i wont refuse a resonable offer

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two memorables

Bought my first sled 98 Powder Special and headed to Radium - no snow. Was leaving for Jamaica the next day and driving back to Edmonton to fly out. The night before leaving the cabin in Invermere it puked down. On the drive back just outside Radium along the wide ditch area before Vermillion crossing the temptation was too much so I unloaded the sled at convenient spot along the highway and started in the ditch (did not know at that stage that sledding in park a big NO NO). Had barely got away from the staging spot when I came up over a ridge dropped into a creek, went over the handle bars, broke my hood (2kms on sled), broke the windshield and landed in the freezing cold water. I was soaked. Sled was straight up and down and sticking out of creek. Laughed about it the next day sitting in Montego Bay but at the time not funny!

Second calamity was purchase of 2001 Mountain Cat 800 LE - still remember the snowcheck brochure '140 Mountain shrinking horsepower' ya right. Seconday had a 55 degree helix that barely got it up the trail without massive clutch overheating, far less slaying any mountains. Hated that sled.

Top Bottom