Winter Tires for Ram 3500- Have a Few Choices

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Looking to get a new set of winter tires for my Ram 3500. Figured I would ask here as the truck gets used primarily for sledding in the winter (tow my enclosed). Have gotten a few quotes but am not sure which option to go with. Quotes are as follows:

-Motomaster Total Terrain W/T Tire-> $1004.96 total, not sure if they are studdable.
-Goodyear ultra Grip Ice WRT-> $1010.97 total, $50 each to stud.
-General Grabber Arctics-> 905.92 total, $25 each to stud.
-Cooper discover M&S-> $852.28 total, $25 each to stud.

Please let me know your opinion on each of the above tires. I also want to hear your thoughts on studding vs not studding. Originally I was going to stud but several of the reps cautioned me against it (on the Good years specifically).

Cheers,
Tyler

Kelso

Reaction score
Studs are great the first winter. My experience has been by the second winter they are worn down or missing. This of course depends on the conditions and kms you drive... gravel kills them quick! But then you are no worse off then not studding to begin with. Any dedicated winter tires I buy now will be studded.
Check out the Nokian LT2 a bit more expensive but a top notch tire!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the coppers last year studded and they are good. I have a set of studded winter tires that I had in my dodge. Worked well. I am going to sell them soon and put a set on my chev. Not sure if I am just selling the rims and sensors or complete package yet. I want new rims for the chev. Let me know if you're interested in rims and tires or just rims. They are the stock chrome steel 17".

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and got a quote on the Nokians as the other thread was raving about them. $1335.96 for the set, out the door for $1750 including alignment, change over ect. If they are really that much better then say the coopers I'm more then willing to spend the extra money, anyone who's gone up to Silent Pass will attest! Haha guess we will wait for some more opinions. Thank you to everyone who has chimed in already!

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Looking to get a new set of winter tires for my Ram 3500. Figured I would ask here as the truck gets used primarily for sledding in the winter (tow my enclosed). Have gotten a few quotes but am not sure which option to go with. Quotes are as follows:

-Motomaster Total Terrain W/T Tire-> $1004.96 total, not sure if they are studdable.
-Goodyear ultra Grip Ice WRT-> $1010.97 total, $50 each to stud.
-General Grabber Arctics-> 905.92 total, $25 each to stud.
-Cooper discover M&S-> $852.28 total, $25 each to stud.

Please let me know your opinion on each of the above tires. I also want to hear your thoughts on studding vs not studding. Originally I was going to stud but several of the reps cautioned me against it (on the Good years specifically).

Cheers,
Tyler

If this is a dedicated winter highway sledding truck just get nokian's no?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Nokian LT2 sites says " designed for hard use on heavy SUV-type 4x4 vehicles"

That is enough for me to keep looking at other tires for now for my 3500. A 8000ish pound truck plus the payload says to me it is going to be heavier than a heavy SUV type vehicle.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone I seen put Nokian tire on a heavy truck did not like them. They were heavy welding trucks. But lots of side walls blown out and wear out fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelso

Reaction score
The Nokian LT2 sites says " designed for hard use on heavy SUV-type 4x4 vehicles"

That is enough for me to keep looking at other tires for now for my 3500. A 8000ish pound truck plus the payload says to me it is going to be heavier than a heavy SUV type vehicle.
Load range and weight rating are of more relevance... I used the 285/70R17 which are only a D rating but my truck scaled around 9500lbs. I knew the sidewalls would be softer which I didn't mind for winter use and I was well within the weight rating of the tire. 265/70R17 or 275/70R18 are E rated (10 ply) so no less adequate than any other tire out there in that regard.

For what it's worth I had several friends running oilfield trucks on these tires and not one issue.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes and no.

Lots of tires in the E load range or the lesser D specs are rated for "X" amount of weight but it doesn't mean the tire and its compounds will last. Take the old BFG KO's, they burned off quickly and those were D's(on my previous truck). The Duratracs as well tend to cup and the shoulders wear uneven with many heavier trucks. But guys with half tons and jeeps love them

Plus all the max ratings are typically at 80psi with E's. I try not to run max as you feel every crack in the road.

I can go buy a Chinese or Korean a/t in an E range. Just because it says I can carry 3200lbs per tire doesn't mean it will handle the same as other tires or last the same. Tires have very different handling characteristics within their load range.

5000lb SUV's are not high torque diesels 10000lb+ loaded up. That's just my opinion. Buy what you wish.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into Goodyear duratracs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just got a quote from Canadian tire on studded duratracs 275/70/18 for 1386 out the door including their extra tire warranty. Apparently the warranty is pretty good as they will replace all four of your tires if one is unrepairable within five years. They aren't prorated either. You do have to pay for mounting and balancing the replacement tires, but still pretty cheap insurance for 12.99 a tire.

Edit. The duratracs are 25% off at crappy tire until tomorrow I believe.

Last edited:

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the Goodyear Ultra Ice o my Superduty. Good tire for a decent price. Way better than an "All Weather" tire for the winter. There might be better tires out there for winter but not for 30-40% more money.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sorry for this view but goodyear anything is s**t on a bigger heavier truck. I don't care about all the claims and personal awesome stories. they are ****. Ive had 2 sidewalls blow, and 2 separate, 1 of which blew the whole front of my resistol dodge dually apart, $9000 damage to truck. they also pick up flats easy.

A buddy as having a great run on these from Canadian tire, but then wore out fast with a lot of flats. But you have to look at what your buying, Canadian tire were mounting Passenger grade tires on his 2500 dodge and he was to daft to notice.

Referring to duratrac ad the a/t

Ive driven over 1 million kms on company pickups, 400,000 on personal pickups pulling. I have never once had a flat with toyo, bfg, cooper, or nitto. Goodyear was a nightmare-maybe just bad luck.....

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sorry for this view but goodyear anything is s**t on a bigger heavier truck. I don't care about all the claims and personal awesome stories. they are ****. Ive had 2 sidewalls blow, and 2 separate, 1 of which blew the whole front of my resistol dodge dually apart, $9000 damage to truck. they also pick up flats easy.

A buddy as having a great run on these from Canadian tire, but then wore out fast with a lot of flats. But you have to look at what your buying, Canadian tire were mounting Passenger grade tires on his 2500 dodge and he was to daft to notice.

Referring to duratrac ad the a/t

Ive driven over 1 million kms on company pickups, 400,000 on personal pickups pulling. I have never once had a flat with toyo, bfg, cooper, or nitto. Goodyear was a nightmare-maybe just bad luck.....
If you can find a tire that is factory studded I would recommend that vs the tire shop studding them. Have had both and the factory studs last the life of the tire vs about one season.

I am running that Nokian Hakaplida Stud and have been happy with them. Just make sure you get the right load range for your application.

I am even considering putting a set on the sled trailer.........

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I've never run a dedicated winter tire before. Have a set of blizzacks for the mega cab now and can't believe the difference. The only downfall I've found is they are not a deep snow tire. Awesome on the highway though. The next set will definitely be something with a little more tread and studs.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Firestone winterforce LT with studs on my 2500 ram. Haul water for the ranch, pull the sled trailer from Alberta to BC enough to say you can't go wrong except the tread pattern isn't the greatest for looks when it comes to the image of a 4X4. This will be year 3 for this set. Lots of tread, studs in place and sound. No complaints.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Hakapelitta's as well. My only gripe is that being directional tread l can't do proper rotations. Probably being directional helps make them the top rated winter tire they are. The Nokian factory studs seem to be a more durable design as well. No tire with proper winter compound rubber is going to wear like an AT. Also, there is no perfect tire. Big, chunky, spaced out, noisy lugs are going to be better for deep snow and mud. Tread that maximizes biting edges and adhesion will be best on ice and compacted snow. I don't want to hit the ditch because of black ice so l pick my tires based on this. I've got chains for other situations.

Top Bottom