Who messes with RC Helicopters here?

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Things still are not quite to my liking, the balance is off between the camera and the battery, the gopro needs an anti vibration mount so the video doesn't go all wavy, waiting for my new landing gear to arrive so I can mount my gimbal. The gimbal will give me super steady videos with out the tilting well recording. And I am about to order a live transmit/receive kit and a 7" monitor to mount on my controller, I will get a live view from the gopro to the monitor.

This thing might be pretty cool to take to the mountains to record sledding videos. Hmmmmm?

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is super rad beach, nice work.

So are you eyeballing all that footage from the ground? Is there a return to home sort of thing on your Tx to bring it back to where you started by GPS? I'd be afraid afraid that coms would be lost and it would just fly off forever.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is super rad beach, nice work.

So are you eyeballing all that footage from the ground? Is there a return to home sort of thing on your Tx to bring it back to where you started by GPS? I'd be afraid afraid that coms would be lost and it would just fly off forever.

Thanks! I am really liking it so far.

I am eyeballing the footage, it's really just ripping around well I am tweaking settings, and adjusting placement of items to get the correct balance.

In the first 30sec of power on the flight controller records it home position and acquires 9-10 GPS satellites. It uses that data (in one of the 3 flight modes. - GPS/Attitude/manual) to maintain a hover position in 3d space (horizontal and vertical position) it will also level off and stop when you let go of the sticks. If you happen to lose sight of it or orientation you can flip a toggle switch activating Return To Home (RTH) and it will return home, land and power down the motors. Or if you lose radio connection with it, it will also return to home instead of just flying off into the blue.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I am really liking it so far.

I am eyeballing the footage, it's really just ripping around well I am tweaking settings, and adjusting placement of items to get the correct balance.

In the first 30sec of power on the flight controller records it home position and acquires 9-10 GPS satellites. It uses that data (in one of the 3 flight modes. - GPS/Attitude/manual) to maintain a hover position in 3d space (horizontal and vertical position) it will also level off and stop when you let go of the sticks. If you happen to lose sight of it or orientation you can flip a toggle switch activating Return To Home (RTH) and it will return home, land and power down the motors. Or if you lose radio connection with it, it will also return to home instead of just flying off into the blue.

Sounds like a lot to it. At least it won't take off on you. That thing would take some amazing sledding footage no doubt. Really cool technology.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I took out the 300X. Wow this thing will put hair on your chest! First battery I definately had the pucker factor going on. By about the 4th battery, it got a lot better. Really smooth and solid. The Nano seems really out of control now I've flown this one.

It will be a little while before I hit the idle up switch lol. 5 batteries and still in one piece luckily. Was working against some wind but it turned out ok. Grass was a bit long, so gotta bring something to take off from.

Frigged around and made a quick video. Not the most exiting but I'll make another at the end of the summer to see if I'm any better. I really enjoy flying this one.

Last edited:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
There's something to be said about the factory set up Helis. Things changed for me when I started flying the Trex 450. A lot more complicated set up. Complete build. Have to make sure all the linkages are perfect, almost lost interest during the set up. Nice to grab the 300x and just fly it. Great video BTW.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's something to be said about the factory set up Helis. Things changed for me when I started flying the Trex 450. A lot more complicated set up. Complete build. Have to make sure all the linkages are perfect, almost lost interest during the set up. Nice to grab the 300x and just fly it. Great video BTW.

Works for me too. I have never built a heli from a kit but see that it's very precise and tedious work. I like to grab one box that's got the TX, heli, and a few batteries and go rip around for a while. I also don't have a pile of extra hours to commit to builds, so these bind-n-flies and RTF's are where it's at for me anyways.....for now :)

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how steep is the learning curve on a Quad? I flew RC planes many years ago, but the quad seems like it would be more fun the a regular heli.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got some replacement parts for the war wagon Nano CPX. This thing can take a friggin beating! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407652355.128035.jpg

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how steep is the learning curve on a Quad? I flew RC planes many years ago, but the quad seems like it would be more fun the a regular heli.

My very first rc heli was the Blade MQX - just go for it dude, they are pretty easy to get the hang of ,and also can take a lot of crashes before they die :)

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a nano cpx to there a great little chopper I think my favourite part about the nano is the fact that you can sit there and start buzzing peoples heads in your living room the GF leaves every time I turn mine on :)

on a side not I just started getting into planes withe the e flite apprentice and all I have to say is WOW what a great plane super easy to fly and when your brave enough to take the trainer mode off it flat out RIPS if someone on here is thinking about a plane I would HIGHLY recommend a apprentice so much fun.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My father has the Apprentice S, what a great plane that is. He was always crashing the "trainer planes" or the beginner "everything you need to learn is in the box". With the Apprentice S and the "SAFE Technology" built into the plane he can fly now and keep it in the air. It is such a difference that with the other planes he was ready to toss in the towel and now he loves to fly. Yes it is assisted flight and not "true" flying, but if it keeps the plane in the air and he is having fun does it really matter? :)

As for the quads it has a learning curve like anything else, but I would say it's less to wrap your head around compared to collective pitch helis. But it could also be due to the fact that I have been flying collective pitch for a while now. With the Blade 350qx quad copter and the "safe technology" built in I would bet it is much easier to start out with then other quads also.

Top Bottom