Who has used an adjustable secondary helix.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting the adjustable helix for my sled 09 xp. I have done the DJ thing and found it does not work for me at all. I have been told that they work really well from a few guys. Could anyone give me some more opinions on adjustability compared to playing withe the primary. Thanks in advance. :d

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about the dj kit didnt work for you im just curious ive done ALOT of isntalls and testing and the kits work. are you talking about the shockwave helix?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never seen much about the shockwave other than seeing some nasty pictures of when they grenade in the secondary and look all nasty and broken! But that was only a few times. Never heard much more on them.

I can understand you don't like the DJ kits, but honestly I haven't heard anyone who has followed his guidelines say it isn't working for them and if they had issues he is always wanting to make sure they are happy!~

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what you are saying that you understand but not heard of anyone who has followed his guidelines say it is not working. I order the package and put it in after reading the instructions (which i rarely do). Then ride and sled will not hold rpms, put the stock helix back in and boom, all good again. Hmmm, I am not a huge tester and tuner because I do not have time to change equipment everyday on the hill. but I compare my rpms, and track speed on almost every pull. Thanks, for the info about shockwave exploding. I have one other option for helix's if I cant get a better feeling for adjustable helixs. CHEERS

never seen much about the shockwave other than seeing some nasty pictures of when they grenade in the secondary and look all nasty and broken! But that was only a few times. Never heard much more on them.

I can understand you don't like the DJ kits, but honestly I haven't heard anyone who has followed his guidelines say it isn't working for them and if they had issues he is always wanting to make sure they are happy!~

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I said I can understand, its just my choice of grammar saying that I can see your point of view that it isn't working for you...but...I would think there is something else going on if there is an issue with the kit. Is it a newer updated kit? I believe the new helix is a QR11? I have no major experience being a tech with these either, but I know Joey is always quick to help with his products. I think I talked to the guy a few times before Xmas when I had some issues with Dalton pins that came with his kits and he was always quick to help, even when I had questions about the set up. Really it is simple and I guess not everyone can be happy with how it preforms.

There is a recent post on the doo about shockwaves as well, just saw it.

doo-guy

Reaction score
I have installed many DJ kits and they all worked fabulous. Did you install the helix correctly? You have to make sure the helix ramp profile lines up with the rollers in the secondary, did you have it out of rotation a quarter turn? I'm sure ther must have been something wrong and there are many people on this site that can help get your sled dialed in correctly. PM me if you need help with anything. doo-guy

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
S*&#^, maybe that was my problem, I put the helix in with the arrows pointing the wrong way. I could not figure out though how i could climb the hill higher than everyone else in reverse, but forward would just not work. Hmmmmm!:nono::nono::nono::nono:

I have installed many DJ kits and they all worked fabulous. Did you install the helix correctly? You have to make sure the helix ramp profile lines up with the rollers in the secondary, did you have it out of rotation a quarter turn? I'm sure ther must have been something wrong and there are many people on this site that can help get your sled dialed in correctly. PM me if you need help with anything. doo-guy

tpollon2

Reaction score
S*&#^, maybe that was my problem, I put the helix in with the arrows pointing the wrong way. I could not figure out though how i could climb the hill higher than everyone else in reverse, but forward would just not work. Hmmmmm!:nono::nono::nono::nono:
These are a fantastic tuning tool for ever changing snow conditions!!

doo-guy

Reaction score
Sorry man, I don't know how to take this quote.........Are you just pokin fun?

98sumitt

Reaction score

Are you from the Ozarks??:d:d

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It IS possible to be out 1/4 turn on the helix and it will run....poorly.

The only reason a Shockwave Helix explodes is if the bolts are too long and they bottom out....it's happened and is easily preventable. On that note: I'm in Central AB too and have a Shockwave I don't need...any reasonable offer takes it.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, i am just poking fun. This thread was not meant to get everyone going, all if said that that it does not work for me. i just want to know about the shockwave. If the secondary was not such a bugger to get off I would be tuning.

Sorry man, I don't know how to take this quote.........Are you just pokin fun?

cdnsleddog

Reaction score
The shockwave is a really easy to use tuning tool. No need to settle for one tuners idea of the "right" helix in a clutch kit. Use a good primary set up verified with the stock helix then install the shockwave for additional fine tuning. My preference is the reverse cut ramps in the shockwave. PM me if you want to discuss. Don't need a bunch of flamers on here misinterpreting my info.
Shockwave themselves phoned me when they had issues with holes being drilled too deep during production causing the failures. Sent replacements for all of the affected ones I had purchased at no charge...that is good customer service.
I have purchased the straight ramps as well, there are conditioins and gearing choices that work better with the straights for some guys. Each rider is different. The shockwave can be used to fine tune for all conditions as long as the primary set up is spot on to match the engine.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know how you caan have a primary clutch setup to match the engine. they are torque sensing clutches and react to eachothers inputs.....to have a proper setup you need to have both in check. an incorrect application in the secondary will directly effect the performance of the primary and the sled.

cdnsleddog

Reaction score
All that was intended by saying "as long as the primary set up is spot on to match the engine" was to make sure the rpm matches the OEM or your engine builders recomended rpm with the stock helix installed. This will demonstrate if your engine is actually building stock hp levels or higher and whether or not your choice of primary setup actually works. There are many that do not.
The shockwave simply takes the guess work out of helix choices.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just back from a McBride ride with an 08 Summit 154 with a Shockwave installed.
Adjusted it 3 times to get into the "#3 clicker zone". 1 full turn out wasn't enough, then another 1/2 turn, then another 1/2 turn got it to pull and hold the 8150rpm that I was looking for (3.5degrees per revolution = 7degrees (from approx 50 down to 43'ish in less than 2 minutes of adjusting). It works for me, and back home for a decent local ride (need more snow) I'm back to 50ish degrees with very little effort.

Now over 2700kms and still on second 377 drive belt & running strong.

Power Merchants in town here stocks them.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just back from a McBride ride with an 08 Summit 154 with a Shockwave installed.
Adjusted it 3 times to get into the "#3 clicker zone". 1 full turn out wasn't enough, then another 1/2 turn, then another 1/2 turn got it to pull and hold the 8150rpm that I was looking for (3.5degrees per revolution = 7degrees (from approx 50 down to 43'ish in less than 2 minutes of adjusting). It works for me, and back home for a decent local ride (need more snow) I'm back to 50ish degrees with very little effort.

Now over 2700kms and still on second 377 drive belt & running strong.

Power Merchants in town here stocks them.

the shockwave starts out at 36or34 so 1 turn out would be 3.5 degrees higher from that, not minus the 50 degrees. turned all the way out is 50 degrees.your probably at around 40 ish degrees.

oopow

Reaction score
Had issues with the DJ kit at first over-revving, too much track speed etc. Solution was to change to 19 tooth gear in the top still too much track speed yeah track speed its cool if you are into drag racing... Problem was clicker down to 2 from 4 when it was deep could not get up on snow without big windup hard to do in trees etc. Thought about adding more weight mechanic decided changing primary spring from one supplied with dj kit was way to go and viola back on clicker 3 no over-rev consistent track speed etc. Added needle shims too helps in midrange if curious about spring weight can provide thinking the pin weight is 15.3 grams pm if need more info kit is good just needs little tweak

Top Bottom