What would you do?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even better, freeze to death as opposed to the slight chance they may bleed out quicker. I grew up around and have trapped myself as a kid, snares only, done in miniutes not hours.

I agree snares are quicker and cleaner however then we would be discussing why his dog never came back or was killed by a trapper.
And if the guy was trying to catch some wolves, as they are pushing the totes out of the area out here now, the totes and dogs don't do so well as they are a little small for the snare.
Anybody who has snared before knows how ugly that gets

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean. It wasn't our property, I was on the fence about posting, because she was off of our property.

Just got a call from our vet, looks like we're going to have to put her down. Sad times, amazing how a person gets attached to these dumb mutts...

Truly sorry to hear that..... I had a golden retriever that would disappear at night if you didn't lock him up and guess who forgot one night, this guy, and apparently the neighbor had some poisen in a dead cow two quarters over so a full mile away to get rid of a few coyote's and that azzhole sniffed it out!!

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what a crappy deal and sorry to hear about your dog. I wonder if the person setting the traps knows about your dog otherwise how would your dog get away?

Since there was no broken skin, I'm assuming that she was released.

Where about do you live? I am curious as I am in the area too. I am positive they are illegal too.

We're west and south of Morinville, it's all cleared farmland, if somebody had a trap line out here they would starve, only porcupines and coyotes.
yeah, I realize she was off of our property, but farm dogs don't know where property lines are, and she was just doing the same thing that she's been doing for the last 5 or 6 years...keeping the coyote population down ( and the odd porcupine, you'd think they'd learn). As I mentioned to Dogsmack, I just threw this out there to get some different views.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very sorry about losing your family member, but like you said off of your property is basically the end of the discussion. That being said if there is someone practicing shoddy and/or illegal trapping in your area, its best to call the CO's and get them put out of business!

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
raoming farm dogs are one of my pet peeves... "its just a farm dog, it roams" is not an acceptable excuse at all. im a dog lover, have two at home so dont get me wrong but it all comes down to training. i live in town now so its a bit different but still the same in a way, still have to train your dogs to stay in the yard or fence or chain them up. we just got a dog for my dads farm out by lamont and we noticed he started to roam... on the chain he went and constantly watched when off the chain, ths dog is starting to learn now. we might get a shock collar/ underground perimiter fence for him when wes not being watched fo a bit more freedom. they can go up to 100 acres now, if you got the money

in the past on the farm we have had neigbour dogs roam onto our land we have both shot them and fired warning shots in the air to scare them off, RCMP were called to our house a few times but he said we were in our right to do so.

about 10 years ago 2 large dogs brought down a yearling moose in the back of our farm... called the fish cops, his recomendation was to shoot the both dogs the next time they came on the property... cus he couldnt do anything. didnt have to one was hit by a truck and the other never left that yard after that...

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
raoming farm dogs are one of my pet peeves... "its just a farm dog, it roams" is not an acceptable excuse at all. im a dog lover, have two at home so dont get me wrong but it all comes down to training. i live in town now so its a bit different but still the same in a way, still have to train your dogs to stay in the yard or fence or chain them up. we just got a dog for my dads farm out by lamont and we noticed he started to roam... on the chain he went and constantly watched when off the chain, ths dog is starting to learn now. we might get a shock collar/ underground perimiter fence for him when wes not being watched fo a bit more freedom. they can go up to 100 acres now, if you got the money

in the past on the farm we have had neigbour dogs roam onto our land we have both shot them and fired warning shots in the air to scare them off, RCMP were called to our house a few times but he said we were in our right to do so.

about 10 years ago 2 large dogs brought down a yearling moose in the back of our farm... called the fish cops, his recomendation was to shoot the both dogs the next time they came on the property... cus he couldnt do anything. didnt have to one was hit by a truck and the other never left that yard after that...

A dog lover would not shoot someone else's dog just because it came onto their property

Thegeneral

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A dog lover would not shoot someone else's dog just because it came onto their property

Thegeneral

All depends on the dog that is wandering. If it is aggressive or capable of harming my dogs it would go down. If it was just a pain in a$$ i would have bylaw pick it up as $400 is a good reminder to keep themon your property. That being said i have two german shepards so the chances of it sticking around are slim.

My dogs wandered when they were pups and one neighbor brought them back twice and let me know the third time they would not come back.

I said no worries same goes for your kids / pets so keep that in mind.

He never came back. My dogs never left my property again either.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any dog that runs deer, moose etc is a dead dog, no exceptions!

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thegeneral

that was when i was growing up, im a little more level headed now. i have two labs that are properly trained... but if some attack dog jumps on either of them i will do what i have to

and its not like i carry a gun when i take my dogs for a walk or run

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that was when i was growing up, im a little more level headed now. i have two labs that are properly trained... but if some attack dog jumps on either of them i will do what i have to

and its not like i carry a gun when i take my dogs for a walk or run

Absolutely, we all have the right to protect ourselves and our family/property

Thegeneral

Top Bottom