What to get, 154 or 163, 2.5 or 3"

calmac

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to get a newer sled but I'm not exactly sure what to get. I just started getting into mountain riding last year on a 2009 XP 600 etec 146. Now I would like an XM but not sure what to go with for a track. I'm 6 foot and 220 without gear. I've been told to got with a 163 because of my size but I still wan't a nimble sled that's easy to throw around. Is the 3" that big of a difference over a 2.5", I keep hearing mixed reviews. I'm also thinking about a Freeride because of the shocks it comes with. I'm mostly looking to ride in the mountains, not too much in the prairies. I'm more into boondocking instead of doing big climbs.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're going to get 50 different opinions and it all comes down to rising style and taste. One guy likes a freeride other guy likes a t3 with 3 inch paddles. Ride both and make the choice.

For me the T3 with 3inch wins over the wider and heavier freeride.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I avoided the 163 route for a long time. Once I finally made the switch, I fell in love with the 3" 163. Just gives a lot more freedom to slow down and to take more time to make decisions compared to my 2.5" 154.
I'm even OK with my friends saying I ride an old man sled. The extra length hasn't ever really bothered me - just have to get the sled leaned over earlier & more often.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For your size and experience level I'd say 163. The 3" has a lot more traction in trees or tight terrain to slow down and make decisions but the 2.5" is much more forgiving especially in marginal or spring snow.

tbaysledder

Reaction score
I had a 154 2.5 bought a 2016 163 3inch huge difference but if i was to do it again i would go with the 154 3 inch i believe it would b much more fun you would have to work harder to get places than just point and shoot. Just my opinion

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You won't go wrong with either, if your a little greener a 163 with a 3" will get you out of a spot, I'm not a 3" fan because of over heating on low snow levels but no big deal. I ride a free ride 154 and love it, have a new one coming and a 14 free ride for sale. I would split it down the middle and get a 163 2.5. You won't be sorry

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently have a 154 with the 2.5 inch paddles. We are close to the same size and I have no issues with either the handling or where it will take me. I chicken out long before the sled starts to have issues.

Next sled will likely still be the 163 with the 2.5 inch as I haven't noticed a big difference in handling on the couple I road for a bit but it is a little more forgiving...I think. Really I am just getting lazier :)

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 154 2.5 bought a 2016 163 3inch huge difference but if i was to do it again i would go with the 154 3 inch i believe it would b much more fun you would have to work harder to get places than just point and shoot. Just my opinion
This is exactly what I have and had and agree that I shoulda went 3" 154 instead, I just think it woulda been a bit more fun.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think after riding a 600 146 a 163 x 2.5 would work well for you because of the increase of power and track length...t3 s are great sleds and will get you higher in most conditions but can overheat in marginal snow or spin on icy hills.......do not have alot of time on a free ride but they handle the bumps well

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I'm old, overweight, out of shape and I ride a 2014 163x2.5". It's an awesome sled, easy to handle and you can pick them up now at a very reasonable price with low mileage.
My son rides the same sled and loves it as well.
I agree, there are many different answers to this question.
Good luck and ride safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO the longer the sled, the more decision time in deeper snow. when you riding the trees in the mountains, if your on a 163", you will have more decision time to make your next move without getting stuck. If you plan on doing much riding on the prairies I would stay away from the 3" because cooling can be a problem with less snow. I had two Freerides and loved them out on the flat but my arms felt like they were going to fall off after 4 days in the mountains, The wider front end makes it a little more difficult to get on edge in the mountains I'm from Saskatoon and do 80% of my riding out here and 20% in the mountains and I like the 154"x 2.5". it still does the job in the mountains but is still suited for the prairies. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Last edited:

calmac

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm leaning towards a 263 2.5 and I found a wicked deal on a 2015. Something I'll ride for a couple of years then maybe upgrade to a 850.

uninc...

Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would want a 2.5 if riding in mountains. I've had 163 3" on my xp my xm and just picked up the G4. Never had cooling issues and in "marginal conditions" it will still climb everything. I could see the 154 3" being a lot of fun but I can barely keep the front end down on the 163.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would want a 2.5 if riding in mountains. I've had 163 3" on my xp my xm and just picked up the G4. Never had cooling issues and in "marginal conditions" it will still climb everything. I could see the 154 3" being a lot of fun but I can barely keep the front end down on the 163.

Personally I do not prefer the 3" over the 2.5" I have ridden them all. The 3" is great for moving a lot of snow quickly but there are more times I find it wants to hook up and push in a straight line where I want it to spin and whip around. Its more situational based for me. I am not a huge guy, fairly light weight I guess lol and the 2.5" or equivalent track I had better success with. If you are just climbing sure, go 3".

The big factor I would mention is, what downsides are there on a 163 vs the 154? Not many. If you put the average guy on a 163 and then a 154 without telling them which sled they are on, handling wise they would not be able to tell the difference but the longer track will be more forgiving where it counts. Its hard to believe so little track length difference when you consider that is an average of 4" overall length can help but it does. Some people who jump a lot or who are just great riders will enjoy the shorter of the two and can put their sled anywhere. If you are not one of those guys, stay with the longer track.

uninc...

Reaction score
The 3" doesn't shine climbing it shines in the trees. The 3" allows to let off the throttle and pick your line. You don't have to be pinned. But thats just my opinion. Just like you said, put a guy on a 154" and 163". The 163" is gonna be more forgiving. Same as putting a guy on a 3" over a 2.5". And that probably why every manufacturer has added 3" tracks to their line up. When have ever seen somebody stuck and heard them say they wish they had a 2.5 lol.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cooling issues with a 3 inch is a fairy tale made up by guys that read the forums and have little experience. I've been riding a 3inch since it came out on the t3 and have never had a cooling issue. I've rode 6 inches of snow in the ditches of the henday, never got hot. On the trail you put your scratches down and ride.

I agree with the above, 3 nch provides way more traction in the trees and climbing. Trouble with the 163 3 inch climbing, too much traction and it flips you over the back if it gets real steep.

Last edited:

King

Reaction score
I here that, 2013 163 XM more sled than I am rider
I'm old, overweight, out of shape and I ride a 2014 163x2.5". It's an awesome sled, easy to handle and you can pick them up now at a very reasonable price with low mileage.
My son rides the same sled and loves it as well.
I agree, there are many different answers to this question.
Good luck and ride safe.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been riding the 163 x 2.5 for 2 seasons now and wouldn't go back to something shorter, but then I don't go off trail, LOL ! I've ridden allot with guys who have the 3" instead of the 2.5", on 163's and 174's, the distance they might go further than me is more because of rider skill than track, I think. I keep bringing up my old Turbo Nytro track example's but they're true, with 180HP and only a 2.25" track, the thing would out climb pretty much anything, it was the track speed that made the huge difference there. Try some sleds out with the different tracks sizes if you haven't already, but with the new XM chassis I don't think you'd notice a difference in riding the 163 from the 154, and luckily they both get stuck!

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
163 3" is like cheating it'll get you up most hills with minimal effort 154 2.5 you will work harder to get up the hills and you will burn more gas as you'll have it to the bars all day where on the 163 you don't need to use as much throttle so if you want to climb effortlessly and not have it pinned 163 3" if you like having it to the bars and working then 154 it is I personally like having hills that you can't just walk up I went from a 154 to a 163 on deep days It's nice but on average days the 154 is a dinner ride in my opinion

Top Bottom