what quad for me?

heyhey

Reaction score
I am looking for something pretty good for lots of mud and a bit of water.I don't want something with too much power because I'm not a big guy I'm about 5 foot 8.I like the brute force 650 they seem good from what I've heard but I would like some opinions from people who have ridden them and also anything else you recommend.Looking for something not super expensive too.

heyhey

Reaction score
Also,the brute is kind of out of my price range so is there anything else thats pretty good and not super expensive that is automatic?Do you guys think something like an ozark 250 would be pretty good?Or should I go with something better?maybe a polaris trail blazer?

Last edited:

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats your price range....... and how mechanical are you....... sometimes it's better to go with the tried and true old technology hondas.... you can pick up a good used one for pretty cheap. and they are pretty trouble free ( but not a nice comfy ride like a can am etc...... but if your mechanical you can go with just about anything else........ that way when it breaks you can fix it. just my .02

heyhey

Reaction score
not very mechanical because I haven't spent my time working on quads because I haven't been into them much because I was biking for a while but I am getting into quads so I guess a honda would be pretty good?which models do you think?I don't have loads of money so nothing too expensive.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so whats the top dollar you could spend............ there are a tonn of honda 420's out there that are not bad in mud and water...... I have a couple of 500 rubicons....... mostly work machines and they will beat you up if you try and keep up with the IRS quads on the market not a speed demon but they are pretty trouble free...... so don't be afraid of an older honda with a few miles on it....... I had a 400 at fourtrax with 7200 trouble free kms .... just regular maint's and your gloden. depends on your style of riding really....... but for your first quad I would consider honda.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He wants a auto though. Hondas are all manual.

Sent from my Desire HD

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ozark is manual too. Brutes are also fairly powerful, even the 650. Your not going to match the power of the 650 with anything cheaper.

You gotta learn to shift sometime or get the Yamaha wolverine 450 or 350. Auto, 450 and cheap. Wanna play gotta pay.

Sent from my white iPhone 4

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope honda made fully automatics from 2003 on ward.........satrted with the 400 AT fourtrax....... I had one of the first ones. still own hondas for work machines.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope honda made fully automatics from 2003 on ward.........satrted with the 400 AT fourtrax....... I had one of the first ones. still own hondas for work machines.

I learned something new today.

Sent from my Desire HD

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My mom has a 06 400at. Ill vouch for that but it still has a manual override.

heyhey

Reaction score
Well I was thinking I might have like $3000 and my mom said she will throw in some for it but I am not sure yet

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look @ yamaha kodiak 350/450. Independant suspension, good handling and fairly reliable. Spring for a liquid cooled bike if you can afford it

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what's a front locker?

Differential lock. With an open front diff you might as well ing have 3 wheel drive. A lock up diff means you can have an actual 4 wheel drive quad when you need it. When it's locked though steering gets tough. Keep it unlocked when you don't need it.

Top Bottom