What is the best winter tire for towing?

canadiancon

Reaction score
Blizzaks hands down, they blow any studded tire I have ever run out of the water, had studded haks and studded ipikes, and the blizzaks were far superior.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want a good winter tire , buy a winter tire built for just that .
Have Duratrac's on duramax 3500 and like folks have said ? ( they are a good all around tire)
But they are no Blizzak for winter driving.
Have the Blizzak on 1500 and away better in the winter.
I am the same with studding and wouldn't bother .
Did it once and were great for a very short time .
Buy winter tires !!!
IMO

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have had the blizzacks on 2 different vehicles, love em, best tire hands down , on ice, for lighter vehicles. Closest tire on ice for comparison I've found is the Silent Armour, good traction, longevity, and don't wear much worse in summer.
But if on heavier vehicles like with a couple sleds on a 3/4 or 1 ton, when you're in snow, not so much icey but snow, the duratrac I believe is better traction than the blizzacks. Packed snow the duratrac works great , not so much on glare ice, the blizzacks IMO are the reverse.
Almost tried the open country CT's , opted out bu a couple buddies did, we'll see how they like em.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What Lenny said is 100% true if you are going to be pushing through any snow and have some weight on like a couple sleds.
But If pulling a four place trailer loaded up I would go winter ice tire as most likely on highway and icy conditions more than pushing through deeper snow conditions.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I think it is true to say that in southern BC, winter is a little warmer than AB and SK and that causes more melt/freeze situations resulting in more ice/slush. We don't seem to get as much wind polished highways as our fine friends to the east so that is something else to take into consideration. We all have different driving conditions and a combination of sled decks, open trailers, and heavier enclosed, so there are lots of opinions on tires and studs. To each their own and we hope that nobody has to learn a lesson the hard way.

How many carry chains for the winter? I doo for just a little added insurance and should have had them on in this situation: the logging road was a little slippery on the way up in the morning and throughout the day we had heavy wet snowfall. The way down was a little tricky even in 4x4 low range.

IMG_0848.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is true to say that in southern BC, winter is a little warmer than AB and SK and that causes more melt/freeze situations resulting in more ice/slush. We don't seem to get as much wind polished highways as our fine friends to the east so that is something else to take into consideration. We all have different driving conditions and a combination of sled decks, open trailers, and heavier enclosed, so there are lots of opinions on tires and studs. To each their own and we hope that nobody has to learn a lesson the hard way.

How many carry chains for the winter? I doo for just a little added insurance and should have had them on in this situation: the logging road was a little slippery on the way up in the morning and throughout the day we had heavy wet snowfall. The way down was a little tricky even in 4x4 low range.

View attachment 175358
No wonder y u sold it

U bent the frame lol

Aa soon as meirech comes out or I go to Alberta I'll have some chains

Never had to use yet, but u just never know

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
No wonder y u sold it

U bent the frame lol

Believe it or not, there was no damage other than my pride! Just one of those slower than slow motion sort of things. The driver's front wheel caught the berm and that was enough to hold it. It was a long ways down and it was a re-gen area so I think it would have gone to the bottom.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input fellas. Yes, 99% of the area where I want the performance would be on the icy highway. If parking lot access roads are super sketchy I will chain up and usually dont have to push alot of snow on access roads or parking lots as Mcbride and Varda are usually right on top of that stuff. So yes loaded icy highway traction is what I'm after. Sounds like studded Hakks or Blizzaks are the way to go for this. Truck is gonna look some funny with those little pizza cutters on there.

Top Bottom