What is our experience with the Skidoo 600R engine?

Grouser

Reaction score
I’m helping my bud research a new trail sled that he will be snow checking for Fall. He is a novice rider who will be riding almost exclusively the trail system in Manitoba……lakes and forests. He is on a budget. It seems like the 850 is pretty much the default, yet the 600R at 125 HP must have good jam and reliability? Looking at a Renegade or Backcountry model. Thanks for your input.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You won't see many 600's in the mountain & that is unfortunate because they are awesome motors & very reliable. The price difference is why most will purchase the bigger motors, the gap is small.

It would be an awesome choice for your buddy as it would be for a lot of mountain riders.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m helping my bud research a new trail sled that he will be snow checking for Fall. He is a novice rider who will be riding almost exclusively the trail system in Manitoba……lakes and forests. He is on a budget. It seems like the 850 is pretty much the default, yet the 600R at 125 HP must have good jam and reliability? Looking at a Renegade or Backcountry model. Thanks for your input.
Great motor - runs forever. Very strong - as strong as a cast block original Series 3 700 twin, which were the strongest 700's Doo built. Runs very smooth, very responsive. As expected, slower than a 850 on top end, but pretty darn strong still. Renegade will still run low 90 mph depending on track configuration

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cant speak for trails but ive ran the 600R and the 850 in the mountains and if i was purchasing a new snowmobile i think they extra cost of the 850 is completely worth it. the 600 works good and is reliable but for the little bit extra you get a pile more performance.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 600r uses the isoflex outer crank bearings so not sure it will live any longer than the 600ho. My wife has one and it is a great sled for her. It has plenty of performance and a lot more than the old 600ho etec
The old 600ho etec she had blew up at 6700 km same as my old 800r did. That's about as long as they live in my opinion and you throw a brp shortblock in them. I bet the 850 isn't much better for reliability

Steenso

Reaction score
Bought a 19 Summit SP 600 for the wife. I had several rides on this sled and absolutely loved it. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase this motor in a trail sled. Guys in the mtns all thought I was riding an 850 and as the comment above says you don’t notice the lack of HP until it gets very steep/deep.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one thing about starting out on a 600 is that you will need to learn how to ride to keep up with the 850 guys. When you go up the same hill as your buddy on an 850 it feels pretty good.

Reaction score
I picked up a 2019 Summit 146 with the 600R before the season last year, and it might just be my favourite sled to run at home in SK. It was supposed to be the sled my son grows into, but given how pulls he might need to wait a couple extra years. It really does feel almost as powerful as my 2011 800 ETEC. We take it to BC as our spare sled almost every trip, and it has been needed a few times. It doesn't have the performance of the 850 out there, but it does very well.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone is looking I have a 2012 Summit 600 etec 146 for sale.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How come you live so far away.
Looking for one for daughter just like that.
600s were never a problem engine and good power at 125hp.

Top Bottom